Hockeyboy's Pegasus (well Rolls Royce really) Waving the White Flag (for now anyway)

Surely the most important & ingenious aircraft engine in the world ( said in a clarkson voice). A real game changer.

I will be building the Airfix 1/24 Pegasus engine from the Harrier GR3 & then hopefully scratch building a trolley or jig to sit it in. Plenty of areas for adding extra detail & have new piping on order.

Pics to follow.

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 5

Brilliant choice of subject. There's a huge opportunity to add a wealth of extra detail and end with something unique in your collection.

• Like 1

So a little progress today. Have found a lot of flash on the kit parts & as i bought the parts from ebay, some pieces have been removed from the sprue rather ruffly!! (Throw him to the floor Centurion, Ruffly!!)

IMG_1603_zpsdlpcdmuq.jpgIMG_1604_zpsuypx8tgn.jpgIMG_1605_zps1lkhsj61.jpgIMG_1606_zpswsk1dynv.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for comments guys. Not much done today, only glueing & trimming plasticard under the components seen in the last picture. Have been trawling t'internet for images of Pegasus engines & what I can accomplish.

• Like 1

Amazing what you can find lying around at work

IMG_1609_zps1omgtxk6.jpg

A little more work on the shell today

IMG_1635_zpszexegij1.jpg

Drilled & filed out the intakes, not sure what they are but they should be open.

IMG_1634_zps3zat3qd2.jpg

And the result

IMG_1636_zpsqbxalkhb.jpg

• Like 6

In yesterday's post I got the sticky heat shielding, electrical connectors & wiring all in lovely 1/24. Plan is to sort all the extras on the engine first, before painting the various sections, heat shielding & wiring. Finally finishing the all the gubbins on top. I wil be fitting the nozzles too. Originally the front ones were made of fibreglass, until one fell off in flight causing a crash.

• Like 1

Plodding on slowly with this build. From the last picture I have added an extra pipe under the middle of the engine, sorted the seams, glued some tread around the middle & then covered this section in bare metal foil. It's far too shiny so will be painting & weathering to tone it down.

• Like 1

If you're in the market for various tube nuts and fittings of that ilk, check around the model car section of your favourite supplier - there's a great big heap of anodised fittings and pipe ends and all sorts available in 1/24.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Contary to public belief, I have not dropped off the face of the earth or thrown the towel in on this. Progress has been slow & not helped by looking at various Pegasus engines each having something different in various places, & an unsecheduled short notice road trip to Romania.

So the update is, various pieces have been scratch built & glued on. Artistic licence is being applied liberally to give a busy look. Hope to get some photos up soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Crumbs Chief, I dropped to page three.

A little update, slow & steady wins the race.

PAINT!!!

IMG_1720_zps0iu9uivl.jpg

And the top gubbins,

IMG_1721_zpsc2f9vaaz.jpg

So the plan now is let it dry, matt varnish, washes, add gubbins & stuff & pipes, build nozzels & display.

Simples :shutup::banghead:

• Like 2