1/48 Hasegawa A-7D Corsair II "Molar Marauder"

I finished this one earlier tonight, having started it back in September for the Vietnam group build.

I got the kit in a model shop in Madrid last July and when someone posted photos of the real "Molar Marauder" I searched out the Two Bobs decal set to allow me to build it.

The plane only had this goofy dental artwork for a single day as the Sergeant who painted it dutifully followed the instructions of the young pilot who gave him the design of the artwork, but when the Sqn. Commander saw what it looked like the plane was quickly repainted. I don't think the aircraft ever took to the air with this mouth painted on it!

The kit itself was a challenge, I thought the construction of the wings was complex and not everything fitted that well. Also the undercarriage doors were a complete pain to position.

I used an Eduard photoetch set for the interior and exterior, a set of resin wheels, an Aires ejection seat (on which I used the Eduard photoetch), an Eduard mask set and some Furball canopy trim decals.

Link here to the build thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988177-148-hasegawa-vought-a-7d-corsair-ii-molar-marauder/

Vought_A-7D_Corsair_II_Molar_Marauder_fi

• Like 20

Thanks guys! I like how the open avionics bays turned out, there were times I was tempted to close them up to save time! Even though it is a bit goofy I do like the big grin on this one, it does bring attention to the SLUF's big mouth!

Thanks guys! I found the panel lines didn't take a wash too well, they were quite shallow I thought, but otherwise the weathering turned out like I planned. I do love the SEA three tone camo, I just got some Mr Paint colours for this scheme so I'll hopefully be doing more Vietnam era planes in 2016.

Don't see many of these completed so it was good to cast an eye over this superb build !. I have tried (twice) to get to grips with the Hasegawa A-7 Corsair….most recently with a TA-7H conversion set, and will perservere but its been a long and difficult road !.

Well Done

Thanks very much! It does seem to be a tricky kit to build, glad I'm not the only one who found it to be so! The TA-7H conversion sounds interesting, the two seat A-7 has a distinctive look that I like. I think I'll wait a while before I tackle another A-7 though!