Trumpeter 1/48 F-106A Delta Dart Montana ANG

TimB

I have wanted to build an F-106A for a long time. I saw two static Montana ANG aircraft at Edmonton in 1984, and was struck by the graceful lines and the “Big Sky Country” markings. A Monogram F-106 has been in my stash for many years, but I hate rescribing panel lines so it stayed there. However, the release of Trumpeter’s Delta Data and the Caracal markings for Montana ANG made me decide to build it – a quick and simple build I thought.

F-106A_2_zpsjiihttku.jpg

IMG_4817_zpswth83uri.jpg

IMG_4816_zpsq5plsi4z.jpg

F-106A_1_zpsyeoqyt8x.jpg

I added the new Aires wheel wells – and was amazed that they fitted with no surgery. Thanks Aires – makes a nice change. A new seat from True Details, Royale Models wheels, a Master pitot probe and some of the Eduard etch went into the mix. I then decided to open up the forward avionics bays, but more on that later.

The model initially went together well. As recommended on some other internet builds, I fiddled with the shape of the intakes to improve the basic shape. While I was happier with the resulting shape, I then decided to scratch build intake blanks as the surgery was visible on the inside, as was the lack of full length intakes.

Opening the avionics bays was interesting. It soon became clear that there was a significant error in the front end shape of the model. The front and back lines of the bays should be parallel, but following the nose cone line and the scribed rear panel line, the bays were much narrower at the bottom. It looked like there was an error on both ends, so I cut back the rear edge to align better with the front of the nose wheel bay.

IMG_3768_zpsaodxjqpu.jpg

This fixed about half of the problem. At the front, I decided to try adding a 1mm shim at the bottom of the bay, pushing the whole note forward and upwards. The result not only looked much better, but matched the drawings in the Detail and Scale book and matched some scaled photographs. It looks as though Trumpeter have angled the centre-line of the nose radome down, when it should be horizontal.

IMG_3769_zpsq7syosco.jpg

I’ve not seen any previous comments on-line, so this may be a “new” finding. Fixing the surgery marks was relatively simple, but I had to rebuild the avionics bay contents which I had already started.

IMG_3775_zps8fmpgimq.jpg

Once the basic airframe was done, I painted it with Model Master Air Defense Command Grey as this appeared to be close to the correct shade and I wanted to try MM. After about 2 weeks drying, I added the decals, and thought that I was close to finishing.

Then the swearing began. This model fought almost all the way from then on. I ended up having to build a jig to hold it while I tried to add the undercarriage and missile bay bits.

IMG_3780_zpstjvmy9da.jpg

In Trumpeter’s defence, the bits fitted, but the complexity made assembling them difficult – at one point I was breaking off a bit I’d added earlier for each new bit I added. The worst was trying to fit the Eduard forward missile “bridge” onto its trapeze. Admittedly, adding most of the “Remove Before Flight” flags shown in the USAF TO added to the fun, and super gluing a canopy on while leaving masking tape inside is just plain stupid…

IMG_3782_zpstktlratl.jpg

IMG_4807_zpsfyy0kzhb.jpg

F-106A_8_zpsbpoyj8jb.jpg

I decided not to weather the model. I used some pre-shading, but kept this as subtle as possible as I cannot see much if any sign of weathering or dirt in most photos of the F-106. I also know how much of a fetish for aircraft polishing the regular USAF units had at the time – let alone the ANG.

F-106A_7_zpsrhyc9p7e.jpg

After 3 weeks of detail work it is now finished. I’m pretty happy with the results, but would tackle another in several different ways including more prebuilding in the missile bay – my detail painting is hardly visible now.

For a Trumpeter kit, the F-106A is one of the better ones. The only minor errors seem to be the shape of the intakes, the angle of the nose and the handed main undercarriage legs. All of these are easily fixed. Apart the items listed above from I also thinned down the tail hook, and replaced the fin leading edge probes with Albion tube.

Next up, a Slingsby Grasshopper...

Regards

Tim

• Like 28

I think all of your trials and tribulations were worth it - this is a beautiful model of a sleek aircraft. It's too bad that you had to correct some of the basic shape, but I guess we've come to expect some of that from Trumpeter.

The local USAF base where I grew up was part of the ADC, so F-106 flyovers were quite common. You decision to not weather the bird is absolutely correct - these planes were impeccably maintained. I distinctly remember how smooth they were and how they shone in the sun. On the actual plane, it seemed like the panel lines were only visible from about 6 inches away from the surface! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Very impressive build Tim.

You have produced a winner! Congrats!!!

Like you, I have the Monogram 106 in the stash, which I started years ago and quickly ran away from...

This kit (which I will definitely finish one day) has the worst fit of parts I have ever encountered.... and panel lines to be rescribed, as you so rightly mention...

So I am sure the Trumpeter offering is light years ahead! And it looks good!!!

JR

Hello,TimB - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Dart'. I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work. She is a resplendent tribute to this elegant type.All the best for the New Year,Paul.

Geno, thanks for the comments. The blue was mixed "by eye" from Gunze Sky Blue and Flat White to match various photos on the internet. Some of the pictures above wash it out a bit - the actual model is a bit darker. I suspect that the Montana ANG used local car paints - they would not have been the first.

Regards

Tim

Thanks for the decals - nice to work with!

Regards

Tim

Absolutely beautiful - thank you for sharing!