GWR 3700 'City of Truro' - Dapol (ex Kitmaster) OO/HO ++FINISHED++

nimrod54

Looks like lots for the carpet monster to gobble up. Looking forward to seeing it on the engine dude.

There sure is matey and the worrying thing is that he has gone hungry of late because everything that I have dropped I have been able to recover - wonderful things these LED torches. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

So after two failed attempts I think that I have sorted the boiler handrail out. Because it is a one piece job it took a bit to get the curve on the smoke box somewhere near and then to get the bends for the returns right, it will need some slight adjustment before final fit. I am hoping that the others on the tender, cab sides and boiler frame will be a bit easier to sort. The two short handrail knobs at the firebox end have been permanently fixed but the others have been left so I can remove the handrail to ease painting, this will also mean that I am less likely to bend it.

CIMG3746_zpsxwkgbbkh.jpg

CIMG3744_zps6jkcupvo.jpg

CIMG3745_zpsnvjhugrx.jpg

Time to crack on with the easier ones now, thanks for dropping by.

• Like 10

Thanks for your comments guys, I've been working on the last few handrails and just have the two at the front end of the tender to sort now. They have a couple of bends in so need some careful measuring to get the positions right.

It took me a while to figure out fitting the handrail to the front of the tender yesterday and in the end I had to compromise on the location of the fittings and only used one to support the rail. I found that drilling for the fixing on the top of the tender side would risk blowing the side out, so I decided to leave this off. All this meant that I was only able to fit one side, but I did make a handle for the water tank cover from some scrap etch metal.

DSC00250_zps3mnnob07.jpg

DSC00249_zpsrtowfrpf.jpg

DSC00246_zpsomstlely.jpg

DSC00248_zpssy6jnbka.jpg

DSC00247_zpsfnbsekap.jpg

So, just the one handrail left to do now and then I can sort out the steps for the tender and buffer beam fittings before a good tidy up and primer.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Some slow progress made on this one. The handrails are now finished and I have removed the moulded door darts from the smokebox door. These have been replaced with a pair of Alan Gibson turned brass ones, I still have to shorten the pin on this. Next job will be the etched steps for the tender.

DSC00311_zpswojeaioc.jpg

DSC00314_zps1q9hisvi.jpg

DSC00313_zpsniapvkdt.jpg

• Like 6

Looking top-tastic John. Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks H, still quite a bit to do before I get around to painting but I have started looking around for colours. It looks as though a company called Phoenix Precision may be the way to go, they do a range of Railway Colours that includes the Indian Red that I need for the frames on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a little while since I updated this build, but things are progressing. I had intended doing some work on the tender steps but the brass is proving a little difficult to bend so requires annealing, I just have to find something suitable for this on my next trip to that well known DIY store. So whilst that job is on hold, I've gone ahead with fitting the remaining handrail knobs and primed the boiler and footplate. There are a couple of sink marks on the footplate that have shown up under the primer so I have to fill those and I have added some plastic rod to what I assume are moulding pins for the holes where the leaf springs fit, all of that has to be fitted.

The remaining handrail knobs have been fitted and the boiler and footplate primed.

DSC00381_zpszoeiqtdb.jpg

I have also done some work to improve the front buffer beam. This started with filling of the holes for the kit vacuum pipe and connector and then I had to cut a slot to accept the replacement parts.

DSC00397_zpshenuo7uo.jpg

The replacement parts, the vacuum pipe will sit over the dark grey circular mark and I will fit that later. (the stem will bend under the buffer beam).

DSC00398_zpswm8atqtz.jpgDSC00399_zpsqlynrghg.jpg

I have also added the handrail to the boiler along with the door darts and these are now permanently fixed. The door darts have been trimmed to a more suitable length for City of Truro as per the reference photos I have found.

Handrails and door darts permanently fixed and you can see the plastic rod used to fill the moulding pin marks.

5564ac80-18f8-4642-9796-2b1c53b9f399_zps

DSC00402_zpssefqqpif.jpg

​Whilst it seems that I keep going over the same ground, I think that it is just the nature of building a kit like this. You have to add stuff, then remove it to check the work or sort out other areas before a final fit. But I feel that some good progress is now being made and I should hopefully be ready to start painting soon.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 8