Sauber Mercedes C9 ( Tamiya Silver Arrows )

Borez

Nice work Borez, she is becoming very alluring sir. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hey, nice A/B mate, I have just got one myself (although SWMBO will use as well)

Sometimes it takes a while to get use to the airbrush.

I am using the .4 mm nozzle and needle, larger than the last A/b? I was using a .3 mm.

Found I had to back the flow down to half what I normally used.

Simon.

Thanks Simon.

I tried the .4mm this afternoon, it kicks out paint like a mule, even at 10psi. Had to do the same as you and back it right off. I primed with the .2mm without an issue. Loving this airbrush though, its so much nicer to use than the splatter stick ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Simon.

I tried the .4mm this afternoon, it kicks out paint like a mule, even at 10psi. Had to do the same as you and back it right off. I primed with the .2mm without an issue. Loving this airbrush though, its so much nicer to use than the splatter stick ;)

Yes mate , she is a bit of a beast to tame.

As for the .2 mm nozzle and primer, it depends what primer you are using?

Alcad 2 primer / micro filler is a bit dense for it, but lacquers go well.

Simon.

Yes mate , she is a bit of a beast to tame.

As for the .2 mm nozzle and primer, it depends what primer you are using?

Alcad 2 primer / micro filler is a bit dense for it, but lacquers go well.

Simon.

I'll bear that in mind thanks. I got the 2 in 1 so I had a choice for primers. Just out of interest do you also own the H&S nozzle cleaner, is it worth the money?

I'll bear that in mind thanks. I got the 2 in 1 so I had a choice for primers. Just out of interest do you also own the H&S nozzle cleaner, is it worth the money?

No mate, I just got the A/B from Modelling tools site.

Just the A/B plus larger cup, needle and nozzle.

With being able to unscrew the cup when cleaning, it makes the whole job a lot easier.

The nozzle assembly can be place in most thinners/cleaners.

The seals are designed for that type of use, but I would not go to overboard though.

I use IPA for acrylics, and cellulose for enamels/lacquers etc.

I like to blow her through with some clean IPA after the cellulose though.

I hope that is any use to you mate.

Simon.

• Like 1

No mate, I just got the A/B from Modelling tools site.

Just the A/B plus larger cup, needle and nozzle.

With being able to unscrew the cup when cleaning, it makes the whole job a lot easier.

The nozzle assembly can be place in most thinners/cleaners.

The seals are designed for that type of use, but I would not go to overboard though.

I use IPA for acrylics, and cellulose for enamels/lacquers etc.

I like to blow her through with some clean IPA after the cellulose though.

I hope that is any use to you mate.

Simon.

That's basically what I'm already doing thanks apart from using Zero cleaner with the 2k.

I've got a couple of those cr*p £20 things that got thrown into a drawer in the same sort of frustration you were feeling. Why on earth am I keeping the things, they're hardly likely to come in useful for anything...?!

Looking forward to seeing the shell when it comes out from under cover. The GT40 is looking nice and smooth too!

Keith

I've got a couple of those cr*p £20 things that got thrown into a drawer in the same sort of frustration you were feeling. Why on earth am I keeping the things, they're hardly likely to come in useful for anything...?!

Looking forward to seeing the shell when it comes out from under cover. The GT40 is looking nice and smooth too!

Keith

Classic case of buy cheap, buy twice Keith. The one upside is that I now know what the major airbrush issues are and how to bloody solve them. ;)

• Like 2

You've done the right thing Borez! Always a good idea to buy a cheapie so you can learn and make mistakes with the AB maintenance. The last thing you want to do is ruin an expensive airbrush due to lack of experience with maintenance.

• Like 1

2K done and I've dropped over the bodywork loosely to have a look.

I must admit one thing I've really learnt here is to keep the model completely under cover when painting as a lot of dust has got into the paint for sure. It really shows once you 2K.

Oh well, lesson learnt. And that's what this build was for. I must admit I've learnt a ton of stuff from this. And then some.

So.. some pics.

Sorry about the dodgy camera phone pics. I will break out the tripod and decent camera at some point to get some less grainy shots but this is more convenient as they upload straight to Google pics.

Rear with engine cowl on. No spoiler attached yet and nothing really lined up.

hFhL8ja.jpg

And with the cowl off

df9Jh6U.jpg

More detailed look:

zLPTWKe.jpg

Top view

Wls6d50.jpg

Side profile with cowl

n4qW0sv.jpg

And naked

n12Rm9J.jpg

Further out

rjaWWRJ.jpg

And a couple more random shots

Us3wyqM.jpg

hoZrp1V.jpg

And so onto the last mile, the spoiler fitting, the body placement proper, the windscreen and side windows, getting the door on? Various detailing, the lights, the camera, the action, the stardom.

And then the chequered flag.

Thanks for looking.

:)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

Looks fast Borez.

Putting a cover over the freshly sprayed bits does stop a lot of dust spoiling the finish.

Especially if you have spent hours preparing them first, I found out the hard way LOL.

Still she is looking great . :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

• Like 1

Looks fast Borez.

Putting a cover over the freshly sprayed bits does stop a lot of dust spoiling the finish.

Especially if you have spent hours preparing them first, I found out the hard way LOL.

Still she is looking great . :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Indeed, lesson definitely learnt. Especially as this loft is quite dusty too. Building the Gulf GT40 MK11 and it's been permanently under cover as I've airbrushed it. ;)

Edited by Borez

So, last night I drilled and pinned my cutout door. Worked out quite nicely. A lot easier than I had anticipated.

Also got the spoiler on and made some antenna by cutting up sewing pins and epoxying them in.

h6FpS2V.jpg

YYuvBjL.jpg

sxVDqgl.jpg

Door paint needs a little touch up, mirrors need fixing in, bodywork needs attaching proper and I lost the damn window vent after it escaped the tweezers and shot out somewhere never to be found again.

But all good really.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

Well she's nearly finished albeit a couple of adjustments.

I'll break out the decent camera and do some proper shots over the weekend as these camera phone shots are pretty grainy and horrible.

AggnAtQ.jpg

0ejJzBT.jpg

HdjpLOu.jpg

Been an interesting build, for sure.

:)

• Like 5

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, pau10wen said:

fantastic build!

Really enjoyed  looking through the build diary! Picked up the carbon decal tip too, thanks!

Thanks Paul, it was one of my first builds.

I've tried to upload some images from my current build (lancia stratos 1977 monte carlo rally) but quickly realised that I couldn't directly upload from my PC.

How are you hosting your images currently if you don't mind me asking?

I've got options like dropbox at hand, but wondered if you had any recommendations?

Apart from photobucket obvs! Gutted for you to hear that bad news