1/72 Airframe Short S.20 Mercury

Pin

Really enjoying watching this build. Learning a lot!

Great stuff :)

Looks like the worst is over.

Best regards

Tony

Thanks chaps.

This is not a final coat of paint, rather a "bare metal" primer - Halford Audi Alluminium - makes it easier to spot tiny scratches, chips, bumps etc. The final finish ( :) ) is going to be several different Alclad-II shades to depict panel effect that is quite prominent on the real thing

It was worth the time to blend the engines. After all -you made them so you needed to do justice to them :)

The silver guide coat is utterly unforgiving and shows just what real dedication and good modelling can achieve.

It's coming along really well. Going to be stunning.

Best regards

Tony

Sorry to hear you won't be finished this one for the GB but work of this quality takes time and effort so I'm glad you are not tempted to rush and risk spoiling such a beautiful model.

"Wooden" props

Base

PICT0756.JPG

"Layers"

PICT0759.JPG

"Wood structure" - technique similar to dry brushing but with more paint left on a brush

PICT0760.JPGPICT0761.JPG

"Leveling" - a coat of clear red-yellow-green

PICT0762.JPG

Could not resist the temptation to try them on

PICT0764.JPG

Spinner is pending a coat of silver

• Like 5

Nothing can be more demotivating than the lack of visible progress. I've been sanding, scribing, rivetting, painting and polishing the model over and over again for last two weeks to achieve the quality of the surface necessary for bare metal finish and still it is far from perfect.

As I'm late for the GB I'm thinking I need some rest so I'm switching this build into background mode

• Like 3

The effort to get a good surface finish will be worthwhile Alexey. Please do keep posting updates as you progress with this one.

• 7 months later...

Time for KUTA - blown the dust from Mercury. In serveral months that passed since I last touched the model some seams have shrunk that is a good thing. Filled and sanded, but now I need to rescribe and rerivet 

PICT0973.JPG

• Like 5

At the start of this thread there's a photo of Mercury on the step. She looks very much like a proto-Twin Otter there. Quite lovely, and yet another inspiration to buy something that I don't need, even if it *is* quite beautiful.

I've been hoping this one would get re-booted. :pray: .

Wonderful subject and with a modeller of the right calibre to garner an extremely high quality result :thumbsup2: .

Dusted off and shrinkages assessed; good restart Alexey :)

Best regards

TonyT

• 3 weeks later...

Very little has changed on the photo but I assure you - all this time I was sanding, priming, polishing, scribing, rivetting and redoing what was done to make sure the surface is smooth enogh for NMF

PICT0990.JPG

Group portrait of all three of my KUTA entries - all three are NMF and non-injected (resin kit and two vacforms) - need to renew my supply of Alclad Aluminium

PICT0991.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...