Lightning f6 canons

fingers

Hi,

I`m building a 1/48 Airfix Lightning f6 and I want to put detail on the belly where the canon barrels protrude, if they do, I have found many pictures of the opening and guard but none which show a barrel, does anyone know how far the barrels stick out and maybe have some pics?

Hopefully,

Dave

Edited by fingers

Have you had a shufti on the "Walkarounds" pages here and/or "Thunder & Lightnings" site? I'm not sure if XR728 and XS904 at Bruntingthorpe still have their guns fitted, but google the serial numbers and you might get something useful. Unfortunately I can't get to my Lightning references just now, but others who know more and better will probably be along soon.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

I've google until I'm nearly cross eyed, I've also done the walkarounds on here and many elsewhere. The problem is that the canons seem to be invariably removed and not replaced with a dummy so you are reduced to in service pictures which are usually of a lower quality, I'm hoping someone has a private snap or two or the info.

Thanks Steve

Dave

I bet tweaky will know this answer?

In a drawing in Tim Mclellands Lightning book, the barrels look to end short of the openings but it's just a drawing.

I took one shot looking 'down the barrel' at Brunty but it's focussed short of what you want to see (should've had my depth of field setting changed), which is included here with the other outer opening shots.

Looks like something barrel like down there even if it's not a barrel?

kfXUkV.jpg

vCqUTV.jpg

aWjhNu.jpg

kKbXaE.jpg

Can't see anything protruding in my shots of the nose mounted cannons of the F2/As yet either.

Hope this might be of some use anyway. Cheers Bob.

Edited by bobsyouruncle
  • Like 1

Great shots Bob (if that's your name?), they seem to show that the barrel finishes in-board but if so why such an elaborate guard to induce drag? May be it's a pipe to simulate a barrel? Questions questions.

Dave

The Barrel didn't protrude from the gun pack. As for the detail around the port All i can day is it was solid and hurt when you walked in to it. I always thought it was there to keep the round moving in a straight line because of the airflow around the port.

• Like 1

As for the detail around the port All i can day is it was solid and hurt when you walked in to it. I always thought it was there to keep the round moving in a straight line because of the airflow around the port.

I also understand that was what the 5 rings were for as well, they provided an area of undisturbed air to allow the projectile to leave the cannon barrel cleanly...

-Dazza

• Like 1

The Barrel didn't protrude from the gun pack. As for the detail around the port All i can day is it was solid and hurt when you walked in to it. I always thought it was there to keep the round moving in a straight line because of the airflow around the port.

I also understand that was what the 5 rings were for as well, they provided an area of undisturbed air to allow the projectile to leave the cannon barrel cleanly...

-Dazza

Thanks for the info Gents, it seems to me that a barrel not protruding and view-able from the front only and a set of scratch built rings is in order, unless you tell me different.

Thanks again

Dave

Dave,

Airwaves do an etched metal set which has some exterior rings in (48089), as do Eduard (48250).

I tried the airwaves ones on mine which I think look ok but I can't remember how many times I dropped them into the carpet before I got hold of the wife's 'special' tweezers.

Dave,

Airwaves do an etched metal set which has some exterior rings in (48089), as do Eduard (48250).

I tried the airwaves ones on mine which I think look ok but I can't remember how many times I dropped them into the carpet before I got hold of the wife's 'special' tweezers.

Bob.

I've just had a look at those and would have probably gone that way if I hadn't already used a resin pit, though if I got the Eduard set I'd have enough bits to detail an F2, decisions decisions, who'd make models.

Dave

I had the same conundrum when building my Mirage III's. I used some fine wire that was wrapped around a suitably sized rod and then cut to length.

First one (not so good)

20151231_122236_zpswd7jff3m.jpg

2nd one, much better! Cheap and cheerful.

20151231_122308_zpszfum9ep7.jpg

• Like 1

Superb! What did you use?

Okay, you probably won't believe this, but I used, holds breath, discs cut from a cotton bud stalk and some drinks can aluminium (well annealed).

Once I started hacking and gluing it all fell together quite quickly.

• Like 2

It may well be, unfortunatly there isn't much info on the photo other than it's 27mm cannnon. I don't think it is XP693 looking at the bit of seriel number that you can see it looks like it ends in a 5.

John

The 27mm was not even designed when the Lightning was in service! :banghead: It came into RAF service on Tornado.

Now if you said 30mm ADEN gun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!

Selwyn

• Like 1