Helo green for Sea King HC4

Does anyone do an acrylic equivalent of Helo green? I've a tin of Xtracolour enamel but everything else I have is acrylic, which I find easier to use. For brush painting. I'm still a bit antediluvian.

Thanks

Hi 825

I had the same thoughts some time ago as Emailed Hannants to ask if they had plans to produce their RN Helo Green in the Xtracrylix range as well as in enamel. I received a reply from David Hannant to say that they would look into it, but haven't seen anything as yet. I'm sure I found a close match looking up the BS code from a different paint company, but as usual, I can't remember it!

Thanks Edge. If it comes to mind let me know. In the meantime I'll have a bit of a dig.

Hataka have recently released a Falkland's War British Set to go with their Argentinian ones, this set has Both the British Helo Drab and Blue/Grey colours in Acrylic. Model Hobbies have the set, but the individual paints can be bought directly from Hataka if they haven't been imported yet.

However if your doing the New Airfix Sea King HC4 and a recent aircraft the Helo Drab was actually replaced some time ago by Nato Green, which is available from various sources,

Hi 825

I had the same thoughts some time ago as Emailed Hannants to ask if they had plans to produce their RN Helo Green in the Xtracrylix range as well as in enamel. I received a reply from David Hannant to say that they would look into it, but haven't seen anything as yet. I'm sure I found a close match looking up the BS code from a different paint company, but as usual, I can't remember it!

Good luck we've been asking for years for Helo Drab and Blue/Grey to be issued in Xtracrylix, but no joy. Really annoying when they can pop out a specific red used on a specific typhoon to tie in with their decal sheet,

• Like 2

I didnt get any pictures off that elderly thread, sadly

but wandering round Brunty earlier this year I was left wondering WHICH green I will use when I get my HC4

P1080867_zps91z2l3uz.jpg

P1080862_zpsxsii08m1.jpg

Isn't very persistent is it?

:)

I plan using several acrylic colours including adding some Revell Cockpit green to Tamiya Olive green to get close-ish to this faded beastie

• Like 1

For a (yet unfinished) Commando Wessex I bought AKAN acrylic paint 70008 BS:298 Olive Drab from Hobby Paint'n'Stuff in Finland: http://www.hpns.eu/

Including shipment to Germany two 15ml bottles cost me 7 Euro so they might be worth a try. I have to admit I haven't painted anything with them yet...

Thanks everyone, really helpful suggestions. I was thinking of Revell's Olivegrun but it's a bit dark and probably too green. I do have a pot of their NATO Olive that may suffice. Mind you that was before I saw Perdu's picture and that suggests take your pick of any greenish shade with a hint of olive you want and use 4 or 5 of them. I think I'll go for some,thing more pristine and leave this level of weathered green to the real experts.

I also wasn't aware of the switch from Helo Green to NATO Olive so that's good to know.

I had a look at the Akan range and that's promising. And there are a bundle of other colours there that aren't available in acrylic elsewhere that I know of: Dark Admiralty Grey and Light Stone for example. So may buy some and see what they're like.

Thanks again. Shows how BM members always come up trumps.

• Like 1

Some PX-24 will bring that faded green back to what it was. :D

Looks like somebody at Bruntingthorpe had a go with some, just ahead of the fuel filler

I'm NOT that brave that I'd go THAT weathered but it is at least an option that is up for discussion

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like somebody at Bruntingthorpe had a go with some, just ahead of the fuel filler

I'm NOT that brave that I'd go THAT weathered but it is at least an option that is up for discussion

That virticle strip seen infront of the gravity refuel point is actually a rub strip. That is where the sacru retrievel rope sits.

I think you will also find that the paint is no longer treated with px24 so will look faded especially now she is outside all the time.

Edited by faakeith
  • Like 2