Universal Carrier MkII (Forced Reconnaissance) Tamiya 1/35th

Badder

I've just purchased some gloss varnish. Winsor and Newton's Galeria, acrylic varnish to be precise. Now, I've only recently started using varnishes when model-making (having seen the technique on BM) In fact, I've only previously used them on my last model/diorama (Lost in France)And with that I only went as far as using satin and matt varnishes. The satin varnish wasn't ideal as a base for the following washes though. (some 'wicking effect' still occurred)

Now, I HAVE to use gloss as it will help with that wet look.

It is however, with some trepidation, that I prepare to apply it to the lower-half of the carrier.........

how about covering it in 1 layer of tissue dampened with thinned white glue?

I have thought about that. In fact, I even went about it... but I got impatient and while fiddling with the tissue paper trying to form it into a better shape, it stuck to my fingers and pulled to bits. I think it was the wrong type of tissue paper to be honest. It was Japanese tissue paper used as packing for a xmas present. I shall try again with British tissue paper.

Meanwhile I have finished the 3 Bren guns.

Badder.

Edited by Badder

The glossed parts of the carrier have just received a wash of MIG Earth.

Using an artist's graphite stick, I have 'worn' the edges of those parts of the vehicle which would be regularly contacted by hand and foot. I've fixed the spare Bren gun to its mount, hanging on the inner panel. The two remaining Brens will be fixed in their firing positions at the end of the build.

.... and whilst posting this, I've just noticed that one of the tracks has almost snapped! A tear 3/4s across the track where it curves around the idler wheel. GRRRRR!

It was ok before I applied the wash. I'm sure of it. Coincidence? Or has this MIG wash dissolved the 'rubber'? Oh, and now it's snapped properly. Even bigger GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

The tracks were a tight fit, admittedly, but they were not under THAT much tension. Now I shall have to glue them.

On the positive side, I can now remove this completely and use it to make tracks in the mud. (Removing an unbroken track was not possible with the track guards fitted)

Look so "sticky", real look, cheers Badder :winkgrin:

Thanks Francis. More wetness and mud will hide the fact that one of the tracks has snapped! lol

I thought of something similar, with Sherman, who once mounted the tracks, they started breaking curve where, until ... crack !! the next day. :shutup:
In this case, they were older (15 years or so), but had been saved.
I think that's what he says, washing the dissolved them, Greetings :winkgrin:

• Like 1

.'P.s, if your Carrier is a Tamiya, be prepared for some wonky fits. I'm not sure whether the hull unit is 'warped' or was originally designed poorly and is off-true. Possibly the latter. The same could be true of the front armour plate and the upper hull sides. And I've just noticed that the rear 'mud flaps' on mine are of differing lengths.

Certainly when I built mine the front armour plate didn't join very well to the side armour on the gunners (near) side. Others I have seen at exhibitions seem to show the same characteristic....

• Like 1

Yes, there will need to be a bit of bending when front armour plate is fitted. The front cover may have to be filed down as well. If the armour plate is glued to the front cover, then the armour plate sits at an angle, meaning that the driver's compartment gets narrower towards the centre of the vehicle.

DSC00430_zpsetkhpzgw.jpg

DSC00432_zpsaewqgdw8.jpg

DSC00433_zpsxtt7mouj.jpg

• Like 5

That is looking superb Badder. Lovely detailing.

It's unusual for there to be fit issues with Tamiya but I suppose they can have there off days too.

Kind regards,

Stix

That is looking superb Badder. Lovely detailing.

It's unusual for there to be fit issues with Tamiya but I suppose they can have there off days too.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. I wasn't sure. Not many likes for this carrier! :hanging: There's always been issues with this kit. I remember having all the exact same problems with the fit back in 1979. They aren't major, just annoying, and probably Tamiya thought it not worth the expense of re-tooling.

Badder.

This is looking superb!

Love the filth on the underside. You make this old kit sing.

G

Thanks G.

There will be more on the undercarriage at some point. I'm concentrating on getting the figures done at the moment, then I can fix the front armour plate and crack on with the final weathering.

Badder.

Taking a break from working on the figures, I am remodelling the tarpaulin with Milliput. I decided not to make one from scratch as I've had the Milliput for a while now, and haven't ever made anything with it. About time I gave it a go. This photo is of an earlier attempt. I've improved on it since.

DSC00442_zps8doztlg8.jpg

Did you ever have one of those days?

Bit of a disaster on the carrier front. As you may know, one of the tracks snapped a few days ago, and I've left it hanging loose ever since, intending to use it for making imprints on the diorama before re-joining the links. However, the flopping about weakened the track and guess what? Yep. It snapped in a second place, and the worst possible place... between the idler wheel and the first road wheel. Grrrr. So, I thought, a pain, but not too serious because I hadn't glued the tracks to any of the wheels. I just had to take the track off, move it around a bit and hide the join behind the track guard. Only, whilst disconnecting the track from the drive wheel, IT SNAPPED AGAIN!

AaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGRH!

It is VERY fortunate then that this carrier was intended to appear in a diorama, wading through mud and water! I have now glued the tracks to the wheels, but had to leave two gaps, one behind the track guard and one between the two sets of road wheels. The latter gap will be submerged. So, grrrrrr, but phew.

I have also added the 3 crew and fitted the front armour plate. This was not straight forward either. The driver HAS to be fitted WITH the front plate because the steering column slots between his legs (which are joined at the feet) and seated so that his hands connect properly with the steering wheel. Fiddly enough, but the armour plate is distorted and requires that it be glued at the driver's end, then bent and glued to the front cover, then bent and glued and bent and glued until the end mates properly with the far side. Anyway, I got that done, then fitted the gunner. I SHOULD have fitted him first, but the process of bending and gluing the front armour plate meant that I needed the room to get my fingers in there. The gunner is a bit of a giant, but I managed to move him through the 5th dimension and get him seated correctly. (Okay, okay, I had to snap the gearstick off!) I think that gearstick had me jinxed from the very start!

The gunner is now toting the Bren, holding it nicely.

Shame that I lost the radio operators hand, holding the radio mic. I was just about to glue it in place when I had one of my attacks and the blooming thing pinged out of the tweezers and flew somewhere over my shoulder. So, I chopped the hand off of one of the desert figures supplied with this kit, and used that. Shame Tamiya seem incapable of producing 'standard' sized figures. The hand is slightly too large, but hey ho. better than nothing. I may in fact wrap it in a bandage and put a spot of blood on it....

And that brings me to my last confession. I am STILL blooming useless at painting faces! Is it just me or is FLESH coloured paint, whether in be enamel or acrylic, blooming horrible stuff? Neither seem to work very well, not going on properly, drying too quickly and generally not behaving nicely no matter what. Lucky again then that two of the crew's faces are quite well hidden and not that easy to study, one being hunched over the radio, and the other pressed up to the front armour plate. Btw, HOW is the driver supposed to see the way ahead when the vision slot in this kit is in the closed position? Of the 3 faces, the gunner's is the most exposed and it just so happens that his is the least bad. So all's well that ends well.

Photos later, after I've cleaned everything up!

Thanks for looking.

Badder.

P.S. I am so looking forward to building a nice kit.

Edited by Badder

Track nightmare v.1:02.....Welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl! :rolleyes:

Glad you got it sorted, looking forward to the next installment. :coolio:

PS - Just been catching up.....Your weathering is absolutely top notch! :thumbsup:

Cheers Sarge.

Nearly finished the build now. Just the mounted Bren gun, rifles, tarp, wing mirror, spare wheel, aerials, water tank and a few odds and ends of personal equipment to add and that's it. Then I can get on with the more pleasurable build of the diorama.

Badder.

• Like 1