Matchbox Lancaster 9 Squadron

Ooh nice! Glad to see someone doing a Lanc. It is, after all, such an iconic British machine and deserves some attention. Never built this kit myself so I'm interested to see how it goes for you. Also noticed there's Blue/White RAAF SEAC roundels in the decal sheet - never seen that option in a Lancaster kit before.

Having built the Aussie version previously, (Will try and find the photo), I have the research info and I can tell you that the actual line-drawing provided by Matchbox is in-correct as the aircraft didnt carry the H2s.

Also the artwork in wrong on the box-top, it shows 11 bomb symbols on each row when in fact there should only be TEN as the aircraft, NG206, only undertook 31 operations; plus, the exhaust shrouds were removed so they will need altering.

Sorry I am getting ahead of myself, the thing is I have two sets of squadron markings for 9 Squadron - WS-J and WS-Y (from the Frog kit) but sadly they are not both the same colouring with the Frog set being more brick red than the brighter red of the matchbox decals.

I have a few days to make a decision . . . .

Looking into the build and I discover the the W/op.'s window (the large square one) is located to far forward, similar to the issue with the 48th Tamiya Lancaster, so knowing its positioned wrong kinda forces me to consider the surgery of moving it.

I didnt really want to go OTT with this build but now i know its wrong . . . .

If the truth be known, I like the artwork, the simple girlie motif and the fact that the top turret has been removed just makes it slightly different.

Research tells me that they up-graded the engines for these particular aircraft for this operation. IIRC Merlin 224's were sourced from various location and replaced on the squadrons aircraft; dont think there was any external differences but also, the exhaust shrouds were removed as seemingly this helped. Wellington tank carried in the fuselage as well I believe.

Looking forward to starting this . . . .

The re-positioining of the W/op's window . , ,

24100620376_7589513944_z.jpg

Thought I had some Aeroclub white-metal exhaust stubs but found some others in the spares box. This kite had no shrouds so they have to come off . . .

24126714255_451b1961f6_z.jpg

blood was spilt . . . be careful out there with them scalpel knives :banghead:

• Like 3

You know Ian, for some reason I thought this was going to be a simple and straight-forward out-of-the-box as Matchbox intended build. Glad to see I was wrong :D

Thats the trouble when you have a few builds on the go consecutive, little progress on each . . .

24234281562_322d492093_z.jpg

. . . . also decided to build an AEC refueller to sit in front of the Lanc' -- its in the background and I'm just smoothing off the tank joins.

Noticed also that the Lancaster is missing the Astro-dome aperture in the top of the fuselage so that will be something else to put in.

There will be more to come soooon

Ian

• Like 4

I have been working on this aircraft's wings, joining the two wing sections together resulted in the bottom half slightly bigger than the top so filed them round to the same size.

I am ready to join the fuselage halves together and also been doing a little painting of certain parts.

Dont suppose many have a spare Lancaster fuselage but I have decided to have a slightly better looking nose section on this aircraft . . . .

23764228644_b49e5f589a_z.jpg

• Like 2