+++FINISHED+++ TAKOM Chieftain Mk11

I have previously built the Chieftain Mk10 in Berlin Brigade so this kit is no stranger to me.

I still have to decide on which scheme but that's a few days away as yet.

Did you do a WiP? I'll have to look it up.

I saw a quick review of it on youtube. How did you deal with the seamline running through the barrel shroud?

• Like 1

Did you do a WiP? I'll have to look it up.

I saw a quick review of it on youtube. How did you deal with the seamline running through the barrel shroud?

I did a full build blog over on my Club webpage here

3985082_orig.jpg

And in case you're wondering?

I found out later that the road wheels should also be painted black.

• Like 4

Oo this will be an interesting one to watch. Now as tanks aren't my forte, even tho how damn cool they are! Is this a Mk.11 (eleven), then wouldn't it be Mk.XI? Or is it a Mk.II as in two? Just curious, sorry if it seems like a silly question. Love the Berlin Brigade too, Shermaniac! Very cool, need to see what I got for this GB... Hhmm...

Looking forward to kick off. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Oo this will be an interesting one to watch. Now as tanks aren't my forte, even tho how damn cool they are! Is this a Mk.11 (eleven), then wouldn't it be Mk.XI? Or is it a Mk.II as in two? Just curious, sorry if it seems like a silly question. Love the Berlin Brigade too, Shermaniac! Very cool, need to see what I got for this GB... Hhmm...

Looking forward to kick off. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

After WW2 ended, the British Military changed their numeric from the Roman V, X or XI to the Arabic 5, 10 or 11

After WW2 ended, the British Military changed their numeric from the Roman V, X or XI to the Arabic 5, 10 or 11

Ooohhh... Now that makes sense. I always thought it was a typo... That everyone else kept on repeating. Thank you for clearing that up Shermaniac :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Are the road wheels black as part of the Berlin Brigade colour scheme?

(I repainted the wheels on my 1:1 scale Green Goddess, did the hubs black and the wheels green, as you do, then discovered they should all have been green! Deep Bronze for the use of.)

Are the road wheels black as part of the Berlin Brigade colour scheme?

(I repainted the wheels on my 1:1 scale Green Goddess, did the hubs black and the wheels green, as you do, then discovered they should all have been green! Deep Bronze for the use of.)

Yes, as part of the Berlin scheme, the road wheels were all black. I must update my build accordingly.

OK, Here we go then

The time is 14:00hrs on Saturday 2nd January 2016

I am currently building this within the Saturday Build Club so I have not been as quick as usual due to the jovial atmosphere,

snacks, some delicious cake (thanks to Phil H) and copious amounts of Tea/Coffee.

With barely enough room for an Ant to crawl around inside.

This, very full, box of parts will quickly disolve into one large piece.

9269673_orig.jpg

With 90 minutes invested into the project I have the front bogies built and installed

9248249_orig.jpg

3 hours and all 6 bogies are completed, along with the bazooka plate brackets

8383830_orig.jpg

Upper Hull, Rear Plate and Lower Hull all glued together along with first run of track

9050944_orig.jpg

A few comments about the Track:

The best indy-link I've come across

Crisp, clean and a superb fit

Seperate rubber pads

As I still had the track jig I'd built for my Mk.10 build I was able to assemble the lower runsof 32 links in just 6 minutes each.
- track runs measured from the centres of the front and rear road-wheel hubs -
Had I been further along with this build, another 20 minutes would have seen all the track completed.

The front Stillbrew armour by the drivers hatch and forward stowage bins are installed

5695036_orig.jpg

Rear engine hatches (G5 & G7) added along with the barrel bumpers

7657155_orig.jpg

I shall crack on with this as I'm almost half way through the build and hope to have it completed very soon.

Build signed off at 18:30, sorry forgot to mention that part.

Next time: The Turret

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 5

And ....... we continue .......

A bit more this morning and leaving for a while for the glues to harden.

The Rear Hull plate was a little bare so I attached half the fittings, still more to come here

2249010_orig.jpg

At just 12 parts so far, the turret is looking as it should.

Plenty of support needed to ensure an all-around fit

8377389_orig.jpg

AND! here we have the recogniseable form of the Chieftain Tank.

Loads left to do but, that is all cosmetic, in the meantime a little filler on a few areas but nothing major.

4580675_orig.jpg

I shall pick this up later but, I have broken the back of this in little over 7 hours building so far........

Next time: Fixtures and Fittings

• Like 3

Tea-Time Update

Added fittings of the NBC Pack and extra filler to smooth out a modification + fitting the gunners sights

3045839_orig.jpg

More Rear Hull fittings plus a remodelled small exhaust as part C48 made a bid for freedom and is in hiding with just the Gun Crutch remaining to be fitted

Rear Mudguards and Stowage Bins attached

2904849_orig.jpg

Progress has slowed a bit due to the small parts but I soldier on regardless.

Waiting for parts to dry between installations is a pain but necessary

Next Time: Remaining Turret Fittings then Photo-Etch Screens

• Like 5

Good progress there. While the kit looks a good one I'm sure your considerable skills are coming to the fore as well.

I try my best Col.and yes, I have been building models for quite a while.

It's only in the last year'ish that I have been able to concentrate on my hobby a lot more.