Airfix 1:72 North American P-51 Mustang (Foiled NMF)

Hello all,

I've been a member of Britmodeller for a while but haven't been very active, just an odd comment here and there, so I thought it was time I changed that and stepped things up a gear by offering up my first RFI for your perusal and comments?!
I have been modelling for most of my 56 years and often thought of trying the now quite old method for achieving a more realistic NMF finish which is to use ordinary kitchen foil and adhesive as opposed to the more modern method of using Alclad type metallic paints? What you see below is my first attempt at the method and I found it great fun though very time consuming.
I am not going to say too much about the finished model here, as I prefer to let the pictures do the talking except to say that it was built out of the box except for the use of a ‘Quickboost’ resin replacement seat and a few small scratchbuilt details.
The following photo shoot is picture heavy and includes some black and white photos at the end just for a bit of nostalgic fun. In some of the photos you can see a few brushmarks beneath the foil where the glue was applied, and which makes it look a little rough but that is just the macro lens on my camera being a bit over zealous - please remember this is just 1:72 scale and in reality it looks much better and smoother using the human Mk.1 eyeball!
Airfix 1:72 North American P-51D Mustang - Tuskegee Red Tails (Kit # A01004)
DSCF9636.jpg
DSCF9600.jpg
DSCF9601.jpg
DSCF9602.jpg
DSCF9603.jpg
DSCF9604.jpg
DSCF9605.jpg
DSCF9606.jpg
DSCF9607.jpg
DSCF9608.jpg
DSCF9610.jpg
DSCF9611.jpg
DSCF9612.jpg
DSCF9613.jpg
DSCF9614.jpg
DSCF9617.jpg
DSCF9618.jpg
DSCF9619.jpg
DSCF9621.jpg
DSCF9622.jpg
DSCF9623.jpg
DSCF9624.jpg
DSCF9625.jpg
DSCF9626.jpg
DSCF9627.jpg
DSCF9628.jpg
DSCF9629.jpg
DSCF9630.jpg
DSCF9631.jpg
DSCF9632.jpg
DSCF9633.jpg
DSCF9634.jpg
DSCF9635.jpg
DSCF9652.jpg
DSCF9653.jpg
DSCF9654.jpg
DSCF9655.jpg
DSCF9656.jpg
DSCF9657.jpg
DSCF9658.jpg
DSCF9659.jpg
DSCF9660.jpg
DSCF9661.jpg
DSCF9662.jpg
Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed.
Kev :)
  • Like 56

The foil finish looks fantastic! As someone who's had mixed results trying natural metal finishes, I'd be interested to find out a bit more about how you went about it.

thanks for sharing this little beauty.

Thanks for all of the nice comments chaps, I am very pleased that you like it!! :) :)

I deliberately chose a small 1:72 aircraft with lots of compound curves - and the Mustang P-51D has plenty of those - as my first foray into the technique with the thought that if I could pull that one off then anything in a bigger scale would just be a whole lot easier as the curves would likely be less tight than those I've already conquered?! I did this as a test piece in preparation for a couple of 1:48 NMF aircraft that I want to do in the not too distant future, so for those who are interested in how it was done I can only say keep an eye out for a WIP sometime in 2016?

Thanks again chaps, very much appreciated!!

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

Excellent effect of that first foray in the kitchen drawer! Really, much better than I thought it'd look; obviously thanks to patience and a drive for perfection. Inspiring!

Of course you know about the wings in reality not being NMF but puttied, sanded and painted with silver paint, all to get an extra smooth surface for the laminar flow to do its job…

Magnificent work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Many thanks for your comments people, they mean a great deal and I appreciate the feedback very much!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent effect of that first foray in the kitchen drawer! Really, much better than I thought it'd look; obviously thanks to patience and a drive for perfection. Inspiring!

Of course you know about the wings in reality not being NMF but puttied, sanded and painted with silver paint, all to get an extra smooth surface for the laminar flow to do its job…

Magnificent work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hello Joachim,

Yes, I was aware of the laminar flow requirements on real Mustang wings but I don't think it really matters - I'm more interested in modelling as an art form and achieving a certain look than absolute precision?

Thanks for your comments though, they are appreciated.

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 2

Yes, I was aware of the laminar flow requirements on real Mustang wings but I don't think it really matters - I'm more interested in modelling as an art form and achieving a certain look than absolute precision?

Hear, hear.

Looking forward to your WiP. Have you considered using the foil from Kit Kats? It's thinner and you also get to eat Kit Kats...or send them to me.

• Like 1

Hello Blastvader and many thanks for your comments, much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

I have heard of the use of the foil that covers certain chocolate confectionery and in particular that the foil around Kit-Kat bars is nice and thin, though I've no need for it as the foil I use comes on a roll of several metres in length, costs less than a pound a roll from a well known supermarket and is also beautifully thin, I would say as thin as the Kit-Kat foil but a heck of a lot more for your money?

Plus I don't like chocolate so I'm unlikely to buy the stuff anyway!! Yes, I know .... I must be part a very small minority in a very rare breed that can't stand the taste or smell of the stuff?! :sick: :sick:

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

I second the foil that comes in rolls, as you can get very thin, cheap stuff at the local "dollar" store (places Americans will be familiar with).

Not only is it good for what Kev has used it for, but comes in handy for masking as you can fold it around a part and it stays folded. :D

Anyway, nice work on the 'Stang! And about the laminated wings, I have heard that this was a factory application and once out in the field

the putty and lamination was hard to maintain, so wings didn't always have that "smooth, laminated" appearance we all know and love. :)

Gary

Thanks for your nice comments Gary, much appreciated and yes, it does sometimes happen that the cheap rubbish that most people other than the poorest always avoid can turn out to be a real blessing in disguise!? As with most things in life if you pay very little money for it, you will get very little in return and because of that, what you get with the cheap stuff is a foil that is SO thin it is barely suitable for its' intended purpose? But ... it is an absolute gift for us modellers and an absolute bargain too?!

I bought five rolls of the el cheapo foil from my local supermarket for less than £4GBP and that's enough to last me for the rest of my modelling life and beyond!! :thumbsup:

I bought five rolls of the el cheapo foil from my local supermarket for less than £4GBP and that's enough to last me for the rest of my modelling life and beyond!! :thumbsup:

Could I ask you to name the Supermarket concerned, of if not, then give a hint: eg 'Every little helps'. Somewhat doubting my skills and wishing to limit my chocolate consumption, I feel a roll might be better.

Could I ask you to name the Supermarket concerned, of if not, then give a hint: eg 'Every little helps'. Somewhat doubting my skills and wishing to limit my chocolate consumption, I feel a roll might be better.

Hello Denford,

All I will say is that if you asked me what I thought of the foil when I first discovered it, I would simply say it was value ... but I won't say any more than that. It's a hard won secret, so I hope you won't mind my being a little clandestine? There is a little clue in there though! :winkgrin::hmmm::tease::tapedshut::devil:

Edited by Mr Modeller