Italeri 1/72nd WACO CG-4A Glider

GAF

Seeing S48's C-47 build, I decided to post this build of a Waco CG-4A Glider (Hadrian, for you British types :D ). This is not the greatest attempt at modeling in the world,

but every once in awhile I need to post something.

Waco29.jpg

Waco31.jpg

Waco34.jpg

Waco33.jpg

Waco36.jpg

The model represents a CG-4A of the 301st Troop Carrier Squadron which was towed aloft on June 7th, 1944 behind a C-47 for "Mission Hackensack",

taking off from Merryfield, Somerset. Onboard were 1st Lt. Hammitt E. Porter, pilot, and 2nd Lt. Howard M. Thompson, co-pilot.

Cargo was 5 extra personnel (either the 325th Glider Infantry, or 401st Glider Infantry); water-can, 5-gallon; trailer, 1/4 ton; cl 60mm HEL; AT mines (Boxes)

and a mine detector. No losses were recorded for this mission, so I assume the glider landed okay.

Concerning the model, it went together decently, and except for my own mistakes, there were no major problems. I do suggest a couple of things:

1. The cockpit is nothing like a real WACO glider. With such an open canopy, I suggest doing a bit of scratchbulding.

There are no pilot and co-pilot figures for this model, so if you want those you'll have to scrounge some up.

2. Leave the cargo floor out until the two fuselage halves are together. I made the mistake of gluing the cargo floor to one fuselage half, and then

had a real problem getting the seams to match up. I never did get the bottom seam done to my satisfaction.

3. Some of the parts are delicate and easily broken. Leave as much off as you are able until the final steps. You will be glad you did.

4. I skipped the slide mechanism for the cockpit. The front of the model is supposed to be able to open and close, but it's fiddly and since I was going

to pose this particular model in a take-off position, I left the mechanism off and glued it shut.

5. If you care about such things, Italeri left the rear support struts and suspension cables off. You will have to scratchbuild these if you want to show them.

Oh, and I would leave attaching the cockpit until last as it allows you to fix problems with the windows and doors in the fuselage.

I have noticed in these pictures that I've probably added a bit too much mud on the frame and wheels (one reason there is no shot of the bottom).

It was raining lightly that morning, so you would expect some mud. Being behind a C-47 you would get some spray kicked up in the backblast.

Still, it doesn't look right to me, and I'll clean her up a bit before she goes into the diorama.

I should probably also redo the "brakes" on the top of the wings (those rectangles with the black stripes). I'll repaint those and use a printed decal.

Since the CG-4A is cloth covered, she should look a bit different from a regular OD aircraft, and I tried to get some variation in the OD paint job.

But, these were fairly brand new aircraft, and they were only flown once, so I doubt they would have faded very much in the time before D-Day.

Thanks for looking!

Gary

Edited by GAF
  • Like 33

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice example of another unsung hero of the war.

Very clumsy looking aircraft but very nicely carried off in this model.

Well done.

Yes, the cockpit was an area that needed some work. Here's a view of the scratchbuilt framing for the cockpit before seats and pilots were installed.

Waco3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gary

Edited by GAF
  • Like 6

We hardly ever pictures of this kit. it's nice to see it, along with the helpful tips. :goodjob:

So are you going to do a C-47 to tug it ?

Cheers

John

Thanks, John!

Just as soon as I get Merryfield built. :D The Italeri C-47 was done back in 2014.

Diorama1.jpg

Gary

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23 September 2016 at 6:40 AM, vh-bob said:

The Waco looks great to me. I have had one in my stash for about 40 years and your hints will come in handy when I build mine. How old was Noah when he built the ark?

Well Done,   Trev.

Well done Trev, there no need to be too hasty and rush into these things !

Its all in the planning and preparation  :waiting:

cheers Pat

I must have missed this the first time around so I`m glad to have stumbled upon it today,....WOW,......what a beauty and thanks for the tips too as I intend to build one in RAF markings from SEAC in India. I love the research that you have put into it too and as for the mud, remember that these gliders were stored around the countryside in muddy fields in all weathers so they wouldn`t have looked in mint condition. 

Thanks for sharing your wonderful model(s,......your C-47 is excellent too!) and for representing Airborne Forces,

Cheers

Tony

• 1 month later...

I haven't been here in a while, so missed some of the later posts concerning this glider.  Thank all of you for your kind words.

As an update, I've run into some stumbling blocks concerning the runway at Merryfield, and the WACO glider itself.  I have no

information on any of the striping for the airfield runways, and have finally come to the conclusion that there was none.  No sense

in giving the enemy indication that it IS a runway, afterall.

And a detail has recently come to light concerning the WACO glider model from Italeri, and that is their inclusion of a window in

the top of the fuselage.  There are practically no images of a D-Day glider with this feature.  I have seen a photo of some crashed

gliders with the windows, but (although they are listed as at Normandy), the lack of D-Day invasion striping leads me to question that.

I'm e-mailing the people at the National WWII Glider Pilots Association for clarification on this "skylight".

Take care!

Gary