Airfix 1/72 Blenheim Mk.1 57 Sqn. Fffffffffffffffinally!

I know how you feel BV but it will all be worth it when you get those gorgeous engines on and you get to take of the canopy masks... can't wait to see the results of all your early hard work :)

• Like 1

You are of course both correct.

I think one thing I need to remember is that this is only my second model aircraft, so I should probably give m'self a bit of a break (and maybe choose an easier project next time). Also, considering your proclivity for Valom kits Ced my suffering must be pure ambrosia compared to what you normally have to put up with.

Anyway I'm going to type out a list of what I think I have to do before the Blenheim's done:

1. Paint touch ups: the black has worn off MANY edges and needs a good going over in places, I also did a really pants job of masking the landing lights and there's a good sliver of kit plastic on the starboard side of it that I'm going to have to mask and spray.

2. Exhaust staining: I've messaged Woody 37 as regards this as he's a dab hand at exhaust stain on night undersides. I've also sprayed a couple of spoons black to test paint colours and the like on.

3. Light chipping around some hatches and crew ingress/egress points and some streaking from around the engine radiator gills.

4. Wing tip lights

5. Matte coat

6. Final assembly

7. Gloss wingtip lights

8. ???

9. Profit!

I should hope I can now reference that as my final check-list though I'm sure there'll be something I've forgotten and I'm still not sure if I should assemble the thing first and then matte coat or leave it the way it is. Thoughts?

Toodles,

Paul

• Like 2

Crikey, second build, I'd forgotten that!!!

List looks good to me Paul - not far to go now and I can't wait to see her finished. :)

• Like 1

How's that list going?

Finished it mate.

2016-03-21%2021.56.41_zpsiclcl0ia.jpg

2016-03-21%2021.57.31_zpshpq5lfth.jpg

I'll get some better photos later (these were wonderfully sharp before PB got its mits on them and compressed them all to hell). But these will do for the noo.

• Like 11

The bar has been set.

I can see it above my current position by some distance :-)

As you sweep majestically from the building think kindly of those left behind trapped with their own personal hell!

• Like 1

Hi Paul. Well, despite all the trials and tribulations, that has turned out beautifully! If I hadn't witnessed all the problems I would never have guessed they had happened. The paintwork and finish look gorgeous! Very well done. Looking forward to more photos.

Kind regards,

Stix

I have to agree with what's been said already, a marvellous result, especially after the troubles

you had during the build. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the RFI,

Sean

Yes, well done on an epic build here. I know a few who probably would have seen if the model was aerodynamic, or needed a wall to stop its flight.

Hopefully your trials and tribulations (along with others) will help the rest of us who have these in the stash, I have two versions and am tempted to give them a go soon

You do have a really tidy model there now.

All the best,

Ray

..agreed ...nice one, super finish, looks much better than my two that's for sure! I couldn't live with that gap around the engine cowl and the collector ring though - it was huge under the magnifier and worse underneath - but in filling it I've made a right mess. Only two photos though and from an odd angle - does that tell its own story ?

Very nice Paul... that canopy look really good - looking forward to the pics! :)

Thanks Ced, unfortunately I've scratched it up a little when removing the masking, but there's nowt to blame for that apart from my own cack-handedness and impatience. Still looks ok from a foot or so away though so it'll do.

Looking good :goodjob:

Thanks Col. Now, where's that Beaufighter? :)

That looks fantastic!

Thanks Jim.

"Man completes Airfix Blenheim" shock horror. Proves it can actually be done.

Lovely job!

Nearly jumped out of my skin when I realised I'd finished it too...like putting a cucumber behind an unsuspecting cat!

The bar has been set.

I can see it above my current position by some distance :-)

As you sweep majestically from the building think kindly of those left behind trapped with their own personal hell!

Hah! You'll be reet chief. Not long to go on yours now eh? Last coat of primer and away you go surely?

Hi Paul. Well, despite all the trials and tribulations, that has turned out beautifully! If I hadn't witnessed all the problems I would never have guessed they had happened. The paintwork and finish look gorgeous! Very well done. Looking forward to more photos.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, it's a solid 12" model. But it looks ok sitting in the cabinet. Pretty pleased with some parts of it, and it's all a learning process isn't it?

I have to agree with what's been said already, a marvellous result, especially after the troubles

you had during the build. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the RFI,

Sean

Thanks Sean, some new LED daylight lights turned up today and I have 10 days off, so I might manage to get some pictures of at least passable quality done soon-ish.

Congratulations! What a fantastic result.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, fantastic might be pushing it. Just glad it's done and I can stop having Blenheim based nightmares!

Yes, well done on an epic build here. I know a few who probably would have seen if the model was aerodynamic, or needed a wall to stop its flight.

Hopefully your trials and tribulations (along with others) will help the rest of us who have these in the stash, I have two versions and am tempted to give them a go soon

You do have a really tidy model there now.

All the best,

Ray

Cheers Ray.

Believe me the thought of testing its aerodynamic capabilities crept in to my mid more than once. In fact not long before the end I did have to stop myself hurling it across the mannex, but sense prevailed...just.

..agreed ...nice one, super finish, looks much better than my two that's for sure! I couldn't live with that gap around the engine cowl and the collector ring though - it was huge under the magnifier and worse underneath - but in filling it I've made a right mess. Only two photos though and from an odd angle - does that tell its own story ?

Cheers.

The gap around the collector ring doesn't phase me that much, especially as there's a panel gap there on the real thing. Also keeping it separate until almost thew end of the build was the most expedient way to paint it.

As for the lack of photos: those were taken at my club night, their paucity is due to my laziness and their angle due to the fact that any other would have presented you with the leering face of a middle aged man staring up the jacksie of a really rather lovely 48th scale Italeri Wessex that was next door.

Cheers all,

Paul

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...