1/72 Esci Tupolev Tu22 Blinder

Flashman

So with my Vietnam GB Phantom finished I've waded into my next project. Recently I've been getting into Soviet aviation and combined it with my interest in Cold War Bombers with this Tu22, which I purchased on here about a month ago. I'm quite interested in the aircraft, which has got a futuristic, unusual look to it quite in contrast to earlier designs and so have decided to go ahead with it. I will be building it in the Soviet metallic finish (as opposed to the desert camo Libyan/Iraqi schemes which are in the Revell kit of the aircraft). Here's the kit and what I've done so far:

Not sure why the word Bomber is in inverted commas:

134266-11185.jpg

Unboxing:

72%20Tu22%20WIP%202_zps88zgvugd.jpg

Decals a bit minimalist:

72%20Tu22%20WIP%203_zpsg5f3kgi8.jpg

So I made a start by assembling the wings and the tailfins:

72%20Tu22%20WIP%205_zpsxctqyd4s.jpg

Required a fair bit of cleaning up where the mould attachments were on the leading edges but with clippers and a file you can hardly notice :winkgrin: tailfins were a lot neater and the wings are nicely detailed- the sticking-out bits (to use the technical term) make it look a bit different to the usual more empty wings that you see. Lots of clamps used and some tamiya tape applied to the wing fuel tanks (I think they are) to keep them together while they're drying. Overall it's come together quite neatly though.

I also assembled the cockpit which I will be painting in the Soviet cockpit green, and then primed it:

72%20Tu22%20WIP%207_zps5e9lbbnq.jpg

The dashboards- not massively detailed but then again it's quite literally physically impossible to see when the aircraft is closed up as far as I can tell anyway (certainly in the case of the rear one):

72%20Tu22%20WIP%206_zpsk1veyocf.jpg?1451

These will be black and I'll use some drybrushing and so on to bring out the dials, should look ok.

I went out to buy some green paint for the cockpit today after doing this- it's not exactly a common color to have in your inventory. Now, back to it!

-Flash

(P.S. General 'The Legend' Melchett, famous bomber maestro, is as many of you know a great fan and expert of the Tu22 (why I don't know, it's a right ugly aircraft- JOKING!) so hopefully he'll be having a look at some point and if that doesn't put me under pressure I don't know what will)

• Like 1

Have fun building this Flashman! Despite the complaints about the kit being too short and various minor shape issues, it's still a great kit and builds up into a fantastic model. It's one of my favorite models and I have two more in the stash.

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 1

Perfect timing, Flashman!!

I picked up this same kit in a local charity shop on Christmas Eve - I shall refrain from any comments about being in there for Mother-in-Law's present!!

Just read the comment by 'Supertom' about the kit being too short - is it a fixable problem or one where the shortness is too overall to be fixed easily??

Edited by czechnavy
  • Like 1

Perfect timing, Flashman!!

I picked up this same kit in a local charity shop on Christmas Eve - I shall refrain from any comments about being in there for Mother-in-Law's present!!

Just read the comment by 'Supertom' about the kit being too short - is it a fixable problem or one where the shortness is too overall to be fixed easily??

There's a company that makes a 2cm resin plug that makes up the gap (L&M from Croatia I think), but you can also just extend it with some styrene and putty. Or do what I did and ignore that plug. Once it's done, nobody would really notice it unless you were a stickler for detail. After all, you didn't notice it :banghead:

Flashman, I don't want to hijack your thread, so if it's alright with you, would you mind if I posted up a picture of my completed Blinder sans fuselage extension just so you guys know how it looks?

Edited by Supertom

There's a company that makes a 2cm resin plug that makes up the gap (L&M from Croatia I think), but you can also just extend it with some styrene and putty. Or do what I did and ignore that plug. Once it's done, nobody would really notice it unless you were a stickler for detail. After all, you didn't notice it :banghead:

Flashman, I don't want to hijack your thread, so if it's alright with you, would you mind if I posted up a picture of my completed Blinder sans fuselage extension just so you guys know how it looks?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, feel free to post it, I would love to see it!

I think "bomber"is in parentheses because they also released a second boxing with the anti shipping cruise missile

Thanks Cossack, was wondering about that! Wouldn't mind getting the anti-shipping one at some point.

Here ya go. Sorry for the poor picture quality, I snapped these years ago on an old camera. I still have the model around so I'll need to reshoot sometime. As you can see, even without the fuselage extension, it looks quite nice! The paint scheme is based on an observation someone made when he saw the aircraft in Iraq. Apparently the two-tone tan scheme that came with the kit instructions were incorrect. I did some more research after the model was complete and realized that the gray really should have been a greenish-gray. I would say that extending the fuselage another 2cm would give it a more sinister appearance, at the expense of shelf space!

tu22-2.JPG

tu22-4.JPG

tu22-6.JPG

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 4

Very nice work both! The modelsvit tu22 kit is certainly superior and I thought this looked a bit short, but I'm not going to be doing any modifications largely due to the lack of skill for a 2cm extension! I will definitely be adding the modelsvit kit to my 'to purchase' list though.

Have further pushed on, comrades!

Constructed the cockpit:

IMG_0100_zpszd1x5wod.jpg

Put it in the forward fuselage half which I had clipped out and cleaned up- notice the little bombardier's seat area at the front which marks this out as a traditional bomber design:

IMG_0101_zpspo8acifd.jpg

And closed it up:

IMG_0102_zpsjh0n3qqf.jpg

Clipped out the fuselage halfs and cleaned them before closing it up:

IMG_0103_zpsxen7lyoq.jpg

IMG_0106_zpsso8pjtsp.jpg

And fitted the forward fuselage section containing the cockpit to the fuselage:

IMG_0107_zpsb2hjiwir.jpg

Was actually a pretty good fit. I then fitted on the tailplanes, wings and those distinctive engines. Required some filler but in the end I was able to get it onto a pretty good fit:

IMG_0109_zpslbpxs6ua.jpg

It was at this point that I realised that I had forgotten to put the seats in. Fortunately the places that they went were accessible to put them in with the thing closed up, I will use tweezers to get the bombadier's seat in through the nose.

I wanted to have the aircraft with landing gear down and bomb bay open so imagine my joy when I saw that I would have to cut the one-piece doors! They cut really easily and after a bit of filing them looked fine in my opinion:

IMG_0110_zpsvt0aoz9k.jpg

Until next update!

-Flash

• Like 3

So it's really now starting to look like a Tu22, which is actually a surprisingly elegant aircraft from some angles. I have declined to make a pun on 'awl' as it has already been done on this site, but I can certainly see the resemblance.

Ready to paint:

(That masked canopy was done by taping over, tracing the outline of the window and then cutting the tape- I think it worked but have not yet removed the tape so may be proved wrong!)

72%20Tu22%20WIP%205_zpsq2sryhtk.jpg

72%20Tu22%20WIP%204_zpsrcyiuukd.jpg

The colouring on the underside is from a mixture of filling the gaps and painting the gear and bomb bays.

Sprayed with Humbrol 11 Silver, which I think has come out rather well:

72%20Tu22%20WIP%203_zpsjavimbko.jpg

I also painted and weathered the doors:

72%20Tu22%20WIP%202_zpsuk51tl1h.jpg

And filled up the bomb bay with FAB500 bombs:

72%20Tu22%20WIP_zpsvqcb5mlw.jpg

Getting into my stride now !

-Flash

• Like 1

Ready for decaling:

72%20Tu22%20WIP_zpsptguuvee.jpg

I then applied a panel line wash and put the undercarriage doors on.

Taking off the masks:

72%20Tu22%20WIP%202_zpsr4uregg4.jpg

Head over to RFI to see it in its full glory!

• Like 2