airfix 1/72 handley page hampden

Keep the tips coming chaps, I think I need all the help I can get.

The etch on the fuselage side is overhanging the wing slot slightly, so that's not helping. Will get a file on it later.

Just got to sort out the other wing now, then most probably jump back to the interior.

Those vise grips show that you are not messing about here - great progress!

Thanks. They were needed as the two halves of the tabs wouldn't meet up any other way. Might be able to show it on the other wing.

Stuck at work now, so no modelling until 10pm tonight

Hello again, got a small update.

DSC_0179_1.jpg

Managed to get the etch on the port side, both done now,just some small detail parts to add.

DSC_0183_2.jpg

Been playing with a new toy I purchased, just for the etch on this build. Not bad,works much better than a candle to heat the brass, and only cost £3 off ebay.

DSC_0181_edit_1453478708796.jpg

DSC_0182_2.jpg

Got the tail unit assembled, maybe a little bit of filler required.

Not much to show, I'm afraid, but work and illness has been getting in the way.

• Like 3

Keep at it and remember the smell of glue and paint is good for most illnesses. I like the look of the gizmo you have there, I'm off to evil bay to get one.

Martin

Edit: Never could resist a new gadget, ordered one already.

• Like 1

Keep at it and remember the smell of glue and paint is good for most illnesses. I like the look of the gizmo you have there, I'm off to evil bay to get one.

Martin

Edit: Never could resist a new gadget, ordered one already.

It's a good little gas torch, if a bit hungry on the gas.

Thanks for the well wishes chaps, I'm all snotted up with a sore throat to boot.

Raised panel lines are a hoot, especially for sanding round.

Gotta love the chemicals, seems to make everything happy.

Raised panel lines are a hoot, especially for sanding round.

So kill off the panel lines and re-scribe...

Actually I'm kidding, but I sanded the raised detail off of my latest build and am trying see if others are as unwise as I. Misery, as they say, loves company.

• Like 1

I was trying to find something in the man cave earlier and what should literally land on my foot than this.......

101_2055.jpg

101_2388.jpg

101_2108.jpg

101_2383.jpg

Do you think the kit is trying to tell me something after five plus years under my bench? Whatever it is telling me, it is probably unprintable on this forum!

Martin

• Like 5

That's spooky Martin, it's the spirit of airfix builds past trying to tell you something, can't think what that might be.

What were you doing to the engines? Those certainly aren't airfix cowlings.

Thanks for the reference pic cees,safe to say the airfix, or airwaves, instrument panel looks nothing like that.

Got more progress to report, when photobucket stops playing silly buggers.

I was trying to find something in the man cave earlier and what should literally land on my foot than this.......

101_2055.jpg

101_2388.jpg

101_2108.jpg

101_2383.jpg

Do you think the kit is trying to tell me something after five plus years under my bench? Whatever it is telling me, it is probably unprintable on this forum!

Martin

A Hereford... interesting.

The very kind chaps at Valom let me have a set of Hereford engines when one of my resin conversion parts literally exploded on me while I was hollowing it out. Makes me feel even more guilty for not having finished it. :blush:

Martin

Martin, get it finished.

Yes I know I need to, I think all filling and sanding needed to fair the new engines into the nacelles got me down a bit.

Martin

Martin, looking at the brilliant work you've done so far on the interior, it would be a shame not to finish it. I have great admiration for anyone with the skills to scratchbuild like that, I can't seem to get the hang of it, all my attempts seem over size and clunky.

I've got the port wing buttoned up now, and couldn't resist a little dry fit of the assemblies.

DSC_0185_1.jpg

DSC_0186_1.jpg

DSC_0190_1.jpg

DSC_0191_1.jpg

DSC_0192_2.jpg

Starting to look the part now.

I might take the unorthodox route of fitting the wings before I close up the fuselage. On the dry fit,the wings have a few gaps, which close up nicely when pressure is applied to the wing root inside the fuselage. I'm worried that the gaps might not close up, if I fit the wings after buttoning up the fuselage.

Which route do you think would be better?

Anyone got any advice on how to transfer panel lines onto the kit from a paper print out?

I've found a nice 3 view drawing that I intend to enlarge to the correct size, but not sure how to transfer the panel lines to the plastic. I thought about using carbon paper.

If you can help, I'm all ears.

• Like 2

No idea if this would work, but you could try to gently put a pin mark through the paper and into the plastic to denote the points at which panel lines start and finish. You'd have to be sure when doing the scribe that you're joining the right dots.. The pin holes would, if small enough vanish into the panel lines you create.

Nice work so far on a real oldie... :)

Matt

• Like 1

It looks quite impressive when you bring all the airframe parts together. I might do a bit of sanding on the Hereford this weekend and see if it is worth starting as thread on it.

Martin

• Like 1

It looks quite impressive when you bring all the airframe parts together. I might do a bit of sanding on the Hereford this weekend and see if it is worth starting as thread on it.

Martin

You've got my support Martin.

Would be nice to see it finished, after all,you've broke the back of the hard work.

"I might take the unorthodox route of fitting the wings before I close up the fuselage. On the dry fit,the wings have a few gaps, which close up nicely when pressure is applied to the wing root inside the fuselage. I'm worried that the gaps might not close up, if I fit the wings after buttoning up the fuselage."

How well do the wings align when you dry fit? If they align ok and not skewed then I would be tempted to fit the wings before zipping up the fuselage. Looking tasty by the way.

• Like 1