F-4e conversion (hasegawa) 1/72

PhantomBigStu

Wolfpak decals are also available from Fantasy Printshop: http://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/WollfPack-Decals_B22M01.aspx?page=all there is another hard wing F-4E on sheet 72-011 with a happy looking sharkmouth.

If you're up for a bit of searching, Microscale sheets 72-76. 72-112 and 72-198 all have hard wing F-4Es. The last has a Bi-centennial jet from the 36TFW at Bitburg if you'd like a bit of colour: http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4E/0189128/L/ (also available on Airdoc sheet 72-03 but rare as hen's teeth).

The rough guide to installation of the Leading Edge Slats (LES) goes something like this:

First USAF aircraft was 66-0287 which tested the retrofit kit between August 1971 and March 1972

LES kits ordered April 1972 and conversions started that month. First retrofit flew in September '72 with delivery to the 4TFW that November.

The last aircraft were retrofitted in April 1976.

As has been mentioned, F-4E-48-MC 71-0237 was the first production aircraft direct from McDonnell with LES and was F-4E #756. This was done using the retrofit kits. F-4E 71-0238 was delivered to the USAF at the end of October 1972.

The first full production solution was 72-0121 a F-4E-50-MC which was F-4E #803. This had thicker wing skins so removing the need for a reinforcing strap on the bottom surface.

The last 16 RF-4E-66-MC aircraft had LES; these went to Greece and Turkey.

The long MIDAS 4 gun muzzle was tested in April 1970 so would be installed on production and in-service jets from this date.

HTH.

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I'm a bit late getting to the game, gents, but Jonathan is correct. I was in the 4TFW in 1973. We were in the process of changing out our hard wing jets for slatted jets. Unfortunately, I wasn't there for very long. It is possible that some of the aircraft may have gone TDY to Thailand at some point but I was on F-4Ds by that time so I can't say for sure. It is pretty safe to say that, for almost all of the air war in Vietnam, the F-4Es were hard wing jets. So far as I know, all F-4Es had slatted elevators.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought that the F-4EJ Kai also had a slightly different radar nose as it got an upgrade, but it is most probable that Hasegawa did not bother to change that for their 1/72 kit. But maybe I' am wrong.

With suggestions of other modellers, the kit may be a good kit to start with.

Edited by meindert

I always thought that the F-4EJ Kai also had a slightly different radar nose as it got an upgrade, but it is most probable that Hasegawa did not bother to change that for their 1/72 kit.

The basic nose shape did not change, but static discharge strips were added like on the radome of the F-16.

And no, Hasegawa did not modify their molds to represent this.

Cheers,

Andre