AK Interactive Extreme Metal Paint Failure

GPB

G'Day Guys,

I just had a disaster with the Burnt Metal colour in the new AK Interactive Extreme Metal paint I recently bought. I tried to use the paint to spray a pair of Spitfire exhausts with my HS Infinity. Prepared and mixed the paint as per manufacturer's instructions, using the AK proprietary thinners and cleaners, etc. After a few seconds spraying the paint went solid. Total airbrush strip, soak in AK cleaner, turps, brush cleaner and four runs through the ultrasonic cleaner before the stuff even started to shift. After a few more trips into the ultrasonic cleaner the airbrush is finally working again.

Now, the question is - anybody else had issues with this paint range? I don't use any lubrication fluids in the air brush and my paints are tightly sealed and stored in cool, dark drawers.

Very upset with this stuff after spending a lot of money on the metallic paints - any ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary

Hi Colin and Greg - good points - I did run the AK enamel extreme metal thinners and cleaner through the airbrush before I used the Extreme Metal paint, which went in neat after a solid shake and stir session (as I too believe they are ready to go), just in case there was something lurking in the airbrush from the last use. Sorry, my original post did not make that clear at all. I bought these about five months ago. Do you think I should not have flushed the airbrush? I did wait until it appeared dry before I loaded it up.

Yes, I went and had a look at the bottle of Burnt Metal and it is like sand in water. All the other bottle are very thin, just like Alclad and mix up really well when I shake them up. That must be what the problem is. Thanks for the help fellas, very much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul and Duncan,

I did go back to the local retailer here in Oz who replaced my bottle immediately, saying they had a duff supply initially which has been replaced but unfortunately not before they had sold some. Anyway, the new bottle works just fine and I used it on the exhausts for my P-39 to great effect.

Cheers,

Gary

• Like 1