Revell 1:48 Spitfire Mk, IXE 26 GIAP, Leningrad, 1944-45

Icarus

Wow - long time, no Britmodeller. Two kids and all that. However, this KUTA looks just the thing to get my modelling juices running again.

A slightly neglected Spitfire to do over the Xmas break - managed to do a bit of work whilst staying at the in-laws over the last few days...

DSC019361_zpsptbsbtnj.jpg

DSC019401_zpsrjitxbva.jpg

DSC019421_zpsu1whwkaq.jpg

DSC019411_zpsesllzwev.jpg

further updates as the mince pie/Xmas pudding fest allows...

Icarus

• Like 2

OK - starting to get a shift on here. This model fits together beautifully - even at the insertion of the lower central wing tab into the fuselage. Plans for tonight include attaching and masking the canopy/glazing work, then some priming.

I must admit, this is the first time I have every use decals to represent seat belts - I am surprised how well it looks, at least superficially...

DSC019461_zpshx7h5op0.jpg

DSC019471_zpsrndcymlr.jpg

DSC019501_zpsbbthrsgt.jpg

DSC019491_zpsfhvwehfk.jpg

Icarus

Ok. Primed, and ready for paint.

DSC019621_zpskizwz9xg.jpg

DSC019611_zpskxnbntik.jpg[/url]

Sadly, I have now discovered why this model was lying unfinished on the shelf - the spinner is missing from the kit! I guess I will just have to await a replacement from those nice people at Revell....

Icarus

Actually, I will complete the model apart from the spinner, then add this when the Revell Elves send me the missing spare part.

So, here we go. I have always found Halfords Grey primer to be an excellent match for Medium Sea Grey, so I have left as is. Initial upper camouflage is a couple of layers of H106 for the Ocean Grey.

DSC019731_zpseaxwjuyf.jpg

DSC019751_zps0dcz7tgu.jpg

Icarus

Hurrah - the missing spinner has been discovered in #2 son's "Thomas the Tank Engine" toy collection (heaven only knows how it got there, but I will need to keep a closer eye on my little 2-year old kleptomanic...)!

#1 daughter was born last night, so a little modelling hiatus likely - although given the challenges to my circadian rhythms that the little madam will be causing, I will probably get some time in the middle of each night....

Icarus

• Like 1

Thank you Davek72. Luckily, my previous career (surgeon) mean I'm very used to being up at all sorts of weird hours!

Initial camouflage finished - now to spray on the white on the tail and fin, before glossing ready for the decals,

And yes, it was a mistake to fit the aerial mast so early - the second piece of this kit that appears to have disappeared into #2 son's toy collection...

DSC019821_zpsggmjoisp.jpg

DSC019811_zpsjska1ncn.jpg

Icarus

• Like 1

Morning. Have added the tail and the prop now, so will spray on Johnson's Klear ready for decalling later.

I have been trying to work out if the the Russian Spitfires had all the stencil data that the RAF machines had. Logically this seems unlikely, and the decal set from AML doesn't include any, but happy to receive guidance from the Britmodeller massive...

DSC019921_zpsonbm3fge.jpg

DSC019931_zpsifz84mmi.jpg

Icarus

OK - I think this is now done. Decided that the stencil data would not be on the Russian a/c, and anyway I couldn't find any references that showed any, so stuck to the decals supplied in the AML sheet...

DSC019971_zpsthmunck5.jpg

DSC019941_zps4quunasv.jpg

DSC019951_zpsyg2kjgn3.jpg

Thank you for all of your support and encouragement. Now to finishing Dad's old Vampire...

Icarus

• Like 2