Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line

kpnuts

Hi there,

unfortunately, the way you rigged your guns is wrong. Since you're building a French ship, the breeching rope needs to go through the carriage, not round the casabel of the cannon. 

Otherwise, it's a very fine model you're building!

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:50, kpnuts said:

Hi all which of these positions do you think looks best, straight ahead or at a jaunty angle.

IMG_20170808_5581516542785094824e.jpg
IMG_20170808_481141900730985.jpg

I think that straight ahead will look best on the size base you have here but on a bigger base the ship would look better at an angle.

Martian

Thanks it's weird how the optics of the camera cause an illusion the base is the same size as the ship but from above as you can see the stern and bow seem to extend over them.

I quite like the 'jaunty' base as it allows the ship's boat to sit alongside Soileil Royal more naturally in that little triangle of sea you create. It's also a lot less formal, so would give you a chance to give the model a bit of life- more of a diorama- figures perhaps? 

Give some thought to making the boat alongside is secure! 

I think this sort of display would be excellent, but there are three things I'd be careful about- 1) securing the boat- I'd suggest a line running back from perhaps the starboard cathead to the prow of the moored boat, and also a breastline between ship and boat to stop it drifting away from the side.

2)the ships boat moored alongside will become a fairly prominent feature, so it might be worth doing a bit of work to disguise the much later style of the boats included in the Heller kit.

3) I'd think carefully about how you position that boat on the deck, especially if your intention is to suggest it is being moved by the crew. We're talking about something weighing a good few tons- it wouldn't be moved about on deck without using ship's tackle to bear the load- I would guess the main yards might have been used as crane booms. I suspect every master would have 'his' way of shipping heavy loads like the boats, guns or the sort of out-sized victuals that couldn't go aboard via a convenient gunport. 

This is from a 19th century source, and the rig obviously wouldn't work for something like a boat, but it gives a flavour of what would have to be done to get big objects 'over the side'.

35717119193_e3e1521251.jpg

Will

• Like 3

Thanks mate lots to think about. Daheld sorry not sure what you mean about the guns but they took me ages and since the ship is totally incorrect anyway (I am trying to correct what my meagre ability allows but that is the reason I didn't title this the soliel royal as I already know it is completely wrong and I don't have the skills or knowledge to correct only a small number of errors) thanks anyway and feel free to ,mention any others you come across which I may be able to correct.

Hi all well I've detailed up one of the ships boats (I suppose that means I will have to do the other one now)here's the before
IMG_20170815_365292047381108.jpg
Put the bathroom sealant on and started painting the tops of the waves
IMG_20170815_581151037344508.jpg
IMG_20170815_59951410528812.jpg
Loads more wave painting to do.
I've removed a couple of the guns to load the supplies into the ship I can see from Wills pic pulley system from the spars to load the supplies with and I want to depict that would they load supplies the same way, if not has anyone got any detailed drawings of how this was achieved.
IMG_20170815_127231456436880.jpg
IMG_20170815_198271531449681.jpg
IMG_20170815_285152241735.jpg
IMG_20170815_338191963158210.jpg
IMG_20170815_41539151616351.jpg
I've only used one of the port and starboard anchors, I'm hoping the other two are spares, I can't imagine they used all 4 anchors or am I wrong.
  • Like 7

really nice work so far ken . my victory has 4 anchors [different sizes] they were very big ship's , when anchored off shore , I'm sure they make sure , they didn't want to drift onto rock's !!

Hi all well I've finally finished painting the waved (That's a lot of water) not sure if it needs more colour, I'm trying for the dark brackish water of a harbour.
IMG_20170817_26303726235760.jpg
IMG_20170817_172641408542668.jpg
IMG_20170817_103861950040088.jpg
IMG_20170817_25701601888241.jpg
  • Like 3

all well I've fixed the foremast and strengthened it with a rod up the middle, making it a waterline model had an unexpected problem to it the main mast locates in an I shaped piece which is glued to the bottom of the hull to keep the mast central and true since I cut the bottom of the hull off obviously that locating area was no longer there also the mast was a lot higher than it should have been, luckily I still had the bottom of the hull that I cut off so I put the mast in it laid a rule across the hull and marked where it cam on the mast and cut that piece off but the mast is tapered at the bottom and the holes through the decks must be the same size as when I put the mast in it Leaned either way so I had a cunning idea and wrapped masking tape round the bottom of the mast till it was a snug fit in the bottom hole ( only problem now is the mast seems to lean sternwards) so now I just have that problem to sort and of course to make sure it is square with the center line as well.
IMG_20170825_541811918564745.jpg
IMG_20170825_06301359996971.jpg
IMG_20170825_44524556179762.jpg
IMG_20170825_361841280113573.jpg
  • Like 5

Hello,
I discover with great pleasure the recent evolution of the staging of the "Soleil Royal".
It's a great idea with a superb result.
I had personally thought about some of my models, but, ...... I had a hell of a fear of doing anything.
Your job reassures and encourages me.
I congratulate you for the excellent result regarding imitation wood.
Even if I did not understand everything, especially in terms of varnishes and hairspray (the limits of the Google translator ..)
Good continuation.
Marc

Hi Marc, thanks the hair spray I mention is just what women use to keep their hair in place I only use it as a cheap version of pastel fixative (which is 3 or 4 times the price for a much smaller amount) the varnish is just whichever clear coating you put over it to preserve it.

Hello Kpnuts

A big thank you for this precision that illuminates my lantern. So pastel fixing with hair lacquer and then a classic protection varnish.
You gave me some great ideas for my next achievement.
Have a good day
Marc

• 2 weeks later...

I found this WiP last night have have been catching up on it this morning.

That's a cracking good model you're making there... and very nicely rescued. The detailing is great and the weathered timber and water effects are simply stunning. :thumbsup: She will look fabulous when finished. I hope you've got a suitably large space for her?

• 6 months later...

Hi all well I've got this back out as Gandale (Alan on another forum posted an easy way to do the stays on this) (That's what's been scaring me from continuing this build) baring in mind this is my first attempt at doing them I'm quite chuffed with the result (obviously I've seen them done millions of times better but hey I can only get better from now on) 

15mlaqg.jpg

9qbp55.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all got this out to do some work on it. There seems to be a problem with the cheap paint I used on the base (Not had this problem before) the base started off dk blue but over time it seemed to go brackish 
34qjslj.jpg
33cmdud.jpg
Which I didn't mind too much as it just looks like dirty harbour water but worryingly it is doing this from the edges and seems to be progressing inward
9tk3rd.jpg
4v1fk1.jpg
Do you think this will progress, if so should I stripp it all off (assuming I can) then start again, any suggestions.

I would be inclined to see how the issue progresses. It may be that it is not the paint causing the problem and all you need to do is a quick touch up.

Martian