Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line

kpnuts

Hi all i received this infamous kit as a present from my missus (note from the title I will only be correcting those errors my megre skills and even megerer knowledge will allow) that said as I'm building just a generic ship of the line it will end up being exactly right.

I have today ordered some gold leaf for this kit as it worked so well on the La Reale and the Royal Sovriegn, I have some copper leaf and brass leaf, wish I could find some bronze leaf for the canons (does anyone know how I could colour brass leaf to look like bronze).

I know everyone will be saying get good am blocks and tackle also bin the thread and get some proper stuff, but, the missus has said keep the costs down, also I feel why spend more on am stuff than the kit cost, so will be investing in bees wax and apart from the gold leaf all else will be oob (apart from maybe some scratch building.

ydrHO7y.jpg

zzpFv45.jpg
the molding is as exquisite as it was on the La Reale.
m6bIzqR.jpg
1u35ONB.jpg
cI7qqfa.jpg
Bumnvcf.jpg
ruLs37r.jpg
NgxUPbz.jpg
A2cDDQw.jpg
qqFjrA0.jpg
cxoolGg.jpg
eQvh7a7.jpg
gNBwX3O.jpg
ivORuzc.jpg
1sdG4cI.jpg
vj3Ks0z.jpg
  • Like 6

Can anyone workout my first problem(It's a biggie, wont be able to go far with this at the moment )
You would think I would have learnt with heller by now (check everything, then check it again.
TqDYhv6.jpg
  • Like 1

Well your not the only one that has had that problem :shrug: .

My Victory also had issues, but Heller seem very able to send replacements,'Mine were free', I should think yours should be too.

'Well they better be'.

Good luck when you get started proper.

foxy :coolio:

Hi all well I cant do much more than this(of course when the gold comes will get more done) I really am peed off though, I know from experience it will be weeks before I get the replacement hull half, stuff like this is really frustrating.

SplcFJZ.jpg

l48mHml.jpg

iYfQD03.jpg

3pVOCuQ.jpg

W3iFJnG.jpg

nps1KOs.jpg

Fmx8ZS2.jpg

bCMnc8d.jpg

cF8bzsC.jpg

• Like 1

My word Ken think I would not be as polite about such a BIG mistake as that

Makes you wounder what the quality assurance people at Heller do with there time

Assuming they actually have anybody checking the box at the end of the line.

Hope you get all the parts sorted soon best check the rest just in case mate.

Beefy

• Like 2

My word Ken think I would not be as polite about such a BIG mistake as that

Makes you wounder what the quality assurance people at Heller do with there time

Assuming they actually have anybody checking the box at the end of the line.

Hope you get all the parts sorted soon best check the rest just in case mate.

Beefy

I am so sorry, I 'ave just 'ad my poached egg in red wine sauce with a delightful little Pinot Noir for lunch and absolutely missed the first hours of quality control this afternoon......................................................................maybe tomorrow we can fix the strange looking hull pieces. Bon chance,

Monsieur le Frog

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 7

I am so sorry, I 'ave just 'ad my poached egg in red wine sauce with a delightful little Pinot Noir for lunch and absolutely missed the first hours of quality control this afternoon......................................................................maybe tomorrow we can fix the strange looking hull pieces. Bon chance,

Monsieur le Frog

Yes defiantly one from the Allo Allo book of script writing

One fallen Madonna and a Big Bobbi from Heller :bouncy:

Fnar Fnar

Beefy

• Like 1

I wonder how many of us would make the same mistake if we were doing the quality control. I would probably look in the box for missing pieces see two halves of the hull but not notice that they were the same side! Doh!

Thng is (in my experience ) it is a common occurance with Heller I've bought three of their top of the range kits and this has happened twice, their (in my experience ) customer service is totally none existent. If the missing hull does not turn up lickety quick this will be the last Heller kit I buy (I mean it's not even like it's a cheap kit, it's supposed to be their premium kit) there seems to me to be no, that's none, nill quality control.

• Like 1

Thng is (in my experience ) it is a common occurance with Heller I've bought three of their top of the range kits and this has happened twice, their (in my experience ) customer service is totally none existent. If the missing hull does not turn up lickety quick this will be the last Heller kit I buy (I mean it's not even like it's a cheap kit, it's supposed to be their premium kit) there seems to me to be no, that's none, nill quality control.

I bought this kit in the 1980s and there was a whole bag of sprues missing. My wife speaks French and that helped to get them quickly though. It was an awkward situation but I recall that Heller was eager to help.

I have an old issue of Scale Models here in which all available kits of the HMS Hood are reviewed. The whole hull of the reviewer's Heller 1/400 scale kit was missing and Heller would only send a replacement should the reviewer come up for shipping costs. Instead this attitude was mentioned in an article in Scale Models which surely didn't go down well with some modellers at the time.

Peter

I emailed them again Monday and again got their standard email back, an all too familiar cycle with them they've got till I get back from the funeral on Thursday to at least reply or let me know what's happening, then that's it I will never buy another of their kits (shame as I was looking forward to the Victory after seeing foxys aazing exmple)

• Like 1

They wanted the order number (ordered direct from them) so they know I bought it. I did say in the last email I could send photographic evidence (their contact facilities don't allows for posting pics. I think this is just normal for heller, they don't care once they have your money.

It's a real shame as they make some real good kits. They just treat their customers with total contempt. I think the excuse they don't speak or read English very well doesn't hold water. If that were the case they should not be selling internationally

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am presently building this kit. Whilst the time taken by myself on my builds can normally be measured in geological epochs, this one is even slower and entire galaxies will have died before I finish it. I seem to have all the parts, but most seem to be either warped or ill fitting. However, I believe that this is a great challenge and the end result can be absolutely magnificent. Good luck with your attempts to overcome Gallic rudeness. I will be following your build closely.