Static Grass Applicator

Badder

Hi, I need some help. Today I received my 'Bug Zapper' through Amazon. I'd seen that it can be adapted into a 'grass applicator' which works by creating a magnetic field (static electricity) when you sprinkle 'grass' onto a diorama, making the grass stand erect. I've watched the videos and converted it as per instructions and it sparks if a circuit is made.

However, the stuff I tested it with would NOT stand up erect. Maybe I'm using the wrong stuff for grass. I don't have any of the proprietary grass products at the moment, but thought nylon fibres would do. They don't. Nor do polyester fibres or even short lengths of copper wire.

Is it a case of having to use the RIGHT product? Does anyone have any experience of static grass applicators and know what's up with mine?

Thanks.

Badder.

Hi, I need some help. Today I received my 'Bug Zapper' through Amazon. I'd seen that it can be adapted into a 'grass applicator' which works by creating a magnetic field (static electricity) when you sprinkle 'grass' onto a diorama, making the grass stand erect. I've watched the videos and converted it as per instructions and it sparks if a circuit is made.

However, the stuff I tested it with would NOT stand up erect. Maybe I'm using the wrong stuff for grass. I don't have any of the proprietary grass products at the moment, but thought nylon fibres would do. They don't. Nor do polyester fibres or even short lengths of copper wire.

Is it a case of having to use the RIGHT product? Does anyone have any experience of static grass applicators and know what's up with mine?

Thanks.

Badder.

Quick question,

I've made a static grass machine and had no problems

Have you earthed it, without the earth it wont work, I have a fly lead coming from the neg terminal with a crock clip

to attach a pin to earth it to the base.

CIMG4243_zps8b6072be.jpg

CIMG4242_zps68a8ffa3.jpg

HTH

Dan

Quick question,

I've made a static grass machine and had no problems

Have you earthed it, without the earth it wont work, I have a fly lead coming from the neg terminal with a crock clip

to attach a pin to earth it to the base.

CIMG4243_zps8b6072be.jpg

CIMG4242_zps68a8ffa3.jpg

HTH

Dan

Thanks Dan. Yours is a smart looking machine. Yes, of course mine is earthed! I even earthed it by using my leg! Wow, what a punch that was. Stronger than your average electric cattle fence.I think my problem is down to what I was using as a test for grass. I DID get it working when using 'dill tops' (from the herbs and spices section at Waitrose) They are about 2-3 mm in length. I've yet to get it working on anything longer. The fibres I have tried are too clumped together to work properly.

• Like 1

It sound like you are trying to use material that's not very conductive, although your leg is :)

Have a look at the Noch static grass range, not too expensive and works a treat, I bought a load of stuff from a model rail way place

For less than a tenner.

Dan

• Like 1

It sound like you are trying to use material that's not very conductive, although your leg is :)

Have a look at the Noch static grass range, not too expensive and works a treat, I bought a load of stuff from a model rail way place

For less than a tenner.

Dan

When you say Noch, do you mean that's the grass or the applicator? I'm wondering if my 'nail' isn't as conductive as it might be. I'm using a shiny silver screw. Might a plain nail be better as it has no thread and makes a better magnetic field?

P.S. I inserted the screw up through the bottom of the plasticard I was using as it meant I could get the sieve closer to the surface.

Edited by Badder

Just for the Static grass, the Noch grass applicator is mucho dosh and one of the reasons I built my own, I think I my machine cost about £15 to make and the Noch ready made is over £100 to buy.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959783-static-grass-applicator/?hl=%2Bstatic+%2Bgrass

I use watered down PVA glue for the grass adhesive, probably 70% water to 30% glue to add the conductivity of the static grass, the base is normally blue foam with the air dry clay surface, can't remember the name of the product now. So I can't see that your earth is an issue? It might be that your glue mix is not wet enough perhaps?

Dan

Just for the Static grass, the Noch grass applicator is mucho dosh and one of the reasons I built my own, I think I my machine cost about £15 to make and the Noch ready made is over £100 to buy.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959783-static-grass-applicator/?hl=%2Bstatic+%2Bgrass

I use watered down PVA glue for the grass adhesive, probably 70% water to 30% glue to add the conductivity of the static grass, the base is normally blue foam with the air dry clay surface, can't remember the name of the product now. So I can't see that your earth is an issue? It might be that your glue mix is not wet enough perhaps?

Dan

Cheers Dan. I've purchased woodland scenics grass and tried that. It works for the shorter lengths, which is all I need really. I've also watered down the PVA for 2 out of 4 trials, and while it still works, the grass just fell over in the really dilute one. lol. I think basically, my machine IS working but maybe the sieve is too big. By squashing and bending, I've managed to form a point at the bottom of the sieve and that seems to have helped as well. I haven't actually tried it on a diorama yet, I'm just using a sheet of plasticard and peeling the PVA/grass off when it's dry. I assume I would fix that to the diorama with more PVA?

Did you add any washing up liquid to the PVA mix? - Helps to break the surface tension and may give better contact between the PVA mix and the earthing screw. - 1 or 2 drops should be sufficient.

Cheers Circloy, I will give that a go as well.