1/72 Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind P6967 from 25 Squadron - Fuselage together

Basilisk

My forth build in this GB is the Westland Whirlwind. As only two Squadrons used the type, marking choices are a bit limited. But two aircraft had been evaluated by 25 Squadron in May 1940 and these two aircraft had been painted in the early fighter camouflage with black and white undersides.

Whirlwind-P6967-PF.jpg

The picture of this aircraft aren't great, but show the camouflage and markings used nicely.

Whirlwind-P6967-3.jpg

I think the early camouflage colours with the large fin flash look very attractive.

I will build the Special Hobby Whirlwind kit in 1/72 scale, again OOB, but making my own markings.

P6967-1.jpg

It looks to be a very detailed kit with lots of Resin and PE. It will be interesting to see how well all goes together.

I am set to start my four kits on the 2nd of January,

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 8

Always thought the Whirlwind looked like a cartoon with its unusual proportions - that slim fuselage with a big tail and huge engines - the kit certainly seems well detailed and hopefully doesn't hold any issues in store for you.

Good choice Peter, also one of my favourite aircraft. I've got this kit in my stash so I'll be following your build closely come January. Haven't finished a single model since returning to modelling but your Spitfire and Hurricane are inspiring stuff

For a new BMer you've got the model making spirit spot on. I'm at 2 completed, 5 needing small works and 29 in the Three Boxes of Doom.

I concur in the excellent choice of aircraft and the effort to find a different scheme without Whiffing. (NOTE: I have nothing against What-If? and other options are possible. :coolio: )

• Like 1

Thank you all.

For a new BMer you've got the model making spirit spot on. I'm at 2 completed, 5 needing small works and 29 in the Three Boxes of Doom.

I concur in the excellent choice of aircraft and the effort to find a different scheme without Whiffing. (NOTE: I have nothing against What-If? and other options are possible. :coolio: )

Yes I got a taste for it after finishing my two BOB builds!

One advantage having multiple builds on the go is that you have to clean the airbrush only once :bleh:

So it should be of no surprise that the Whirlwind has also the black primer in place.

Whirlwind-P6967-4.jpg

Cheers, Peter

Got a bit further this week.

Painted the interior green in the cockpit and silver in the wheel wells.

Whirlwind-P6967-6.jpg

Adding all the PE leavers to the cockpit was a bit fiddly.

Whirlwind-P6967-7.jpg

I think the cockpit should look nice after all the bits are in place and it is fully painted.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

Some nice work there, I am looking forward to starting mine, looks like it should be fun.

But looking at your build has made me realise one thing. I need to get some interior green. I have not built a WW2 British aircraft in years.

• 3 weeks later...

Some nice work there, I am looking forward to starting mine, looks like it should be fun.

But looking at your build has made me realise one thing. I need to get some interior green. I have not built a WW2 British aircraft in years.

Thank you Bish. It is a rather pleasant build for a short run kit.

Good start,love this aircraft!

Thanks Steve, so do I.

Ahhhh god Peter I can keep up with all your builds

Great choice and great start

Rob

Thank you Rob. I struggle a bit myself in keeping up, but I managed to get some more work done.

Actually, I finished seven cockpits this weekend :thumbsup:

Cockpits.jpg

Here is my cockpit galore.

And yes, the Whirlwind was part of it.

Whirlwind-P6967-8.jpg

Whirlwind-P6967-9.jpg

With the exception of the eduard Super Fabric Seatbelt, it is all OOB. The cockpit is nicely detail, but the control stick is a bit overdone.

Looking forward to closing the fuselage.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

Nice office! :-)

You're not joking about that control column... I think, if I ever get round to making my one, I'll replace it.

Yep, it is a bit bold. I actually came across a column from a Academy Typhoon. I may replace it with that one.

Nice office! :-)

Thank you.

Looks a lot better than the last Whirlwind I built (mind you I was about 10 and it was the old Airfix version). Top job!

Not surprised. I remember building the Airfix kit 40 years ago...

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

I got a little bit done on the Whirlwind this week. Fitted the air intake PE in the wings and replaced the control column with one from the spare box (Academy Typhoon). Does look better now.

Whirlwind-P6967-10.jpg

Still needs to be fully painted.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

At least I progressed nicely on the Whirlwind. The fuselage and wings are now glued together.

Whirlwind-P6967-11.jpg

The Radiator intake with the PE look nice.

Whirlwind-P6967-12.jpg

And the cockpit doesn't look bad either.

Whirlwind-P6967-13.jpg

Whirlwind-P6967-14.jpg

I am glad I replace the stick, looks much better now.

Hopefully more to show in a week.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As I was unable to work on my builds for most of March due to illness, I will be unable to finish this model in the time-frame of this GB, but I will continue to post my progress here and when finished post some pictures in the RFI section.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Done a bit more work on the Whirlwind this week. It is now all together with the Resin exhaust fitted. Most profiles of P6967 show it with the early style exhaust, but on the pictures I have of this aircraft, they look like the later type to me.

Whirlwind-P6967-3.jpg

So I used the exhaust which came with the kit.

But it had the small acorn fitted at the tailplane to fin junction. To reduce the acorn was rather more involved than I thought as it not only had to be shorter, but reduced in diameter as well.

Whirlwind-P6967-19.jpg

Whirlwind-P6967-18.jpg

I decided to replace the canons with Masters canon made for the Hurricane Mk.IIc which are the same as used in the Whirlwind. I replaced them not because the Special Hobby resin canons are lacking in detail, but because I will most likely brake them after I have them attached.

The holes needed for the canons are rather large (1.1mm)

Whirlwind-P6967-15.jpg

But they will look nice. Here they are just placed temporary.

Whirlwind-P6967-16.jpg

Whirlwind-P6967-17.jpg

Still need to add some of the smaller parts before it is ready to apply the primer. But I am getting there :)

Whirlwind-P6967-20.jpg

Whirlwind-P6967-21.jpg

Whirlwind-P6967-22.jpg

Whirlwind-P6967-23.jpg

Whirlwind-P6967-24.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Looking good Peter; I got a set of Master barrels for the Whirlwind in my stash too, the resin ones didn't look very robust to me - good to see that the brass ones fit okay and thanks for the measurement of the holes, that will save me a bit of trial and error :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. After seeing the canons on the pictures in my post, I am not sure I will use them as they just look too bold compared to the original.

37_zpsw3ak1bj5.jpg

46_zpstc66rjdn.jpg

Also when seeing the exhaust on my pictures - they just don't look right. They are too long and come too close to the wing leading edge. I will rework it and place them further forward. One advantage of having it glued on with CA is that they should come of without to much of a drama - In theory at least.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Hmm, difficult to tell about the cannon from the pictures you posted but in defence of the brass ones I would say: they will look slimmer with a coat of black; they will still be more sturdy than the resin ones in the kit (though how necessary 'sturdiness' is depends on how much handling the finished model will get, I suppose) and finally... well, we do have to make some sacrifices to scale in order to build kits at all...

The exhausts do look a little long but I'd recommend checking some more pictures before you trim them down, the picture that shows the exhausts best is taken at quite an acute angle - for what it's worth I think you are probably right but it will be a lot easier to take too much off than to add a bit on again :D

Cheers,

Stew