Garret Showman's Engine by Bandai 1/16 Scale COMPLETED!

Kallisti

For something different, this is a vehicle that was definitely "made in Britian" in 1919:

DSC_4294.JPG

The box says "Steam Traction Engine" but its actually a Showman's Engine. Been looking forward to building this for a while after doing the Steam Roller a few years back.

More later as I'm heading out now to a Family Xmas party...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 6

Yes its the Pendle Princess. My aim is to strip the chrome and brass and use Alcads instead. I'd also like to add lighting to it since it has coloured light bulbs all around the canopy :)

I remember a work colleague making one of these many years ago, but I can't remember if it was produced by Bandai. I do recall him telling me that the kit had sticks of wood in the firebox though. He made a lovely job of his and this looks like it will be a great looking model too. I can't wait to see it come together, good luck with your build.

...and so we begin...

Lets start off with some sprue shots. Its a BIG box with lots of plastic (and other things) inside

DSC_4307.JPG

Here you see the red sprue, one of the brown sprues, the gold sprue (more of which later...) plus decal sheets, rubber tyres, rubber bands for the pully belts, roof, a bag of metal spindles and some gold stickers which will not be used.

The gold sprue will have its paint stripped and Alcad used in its place.

DSC_4308.JPG

The second set of sprues has the second brown one, two yellows which will make the wheels and two black ones which contains lots of gears, controls and other bits. There are also 4 small transparency sprues with lightbulbs that I aim to try to illuminate. There is also a length of vinyl hose.

Back to the gold sprue... Mr Muscle Oven cleaner and a plastic bag...

DSC_4309.JPG

It took a lot less effort than the gold sprue in the Christie Fire engine I did last year, so that within abotu half and hour the gold was gone! A rinse under the tap and this was the result

DSC_4316.JPG

So now I can begin the build properly. I think the first thing I should sort out is the lighting because if it doesn't work I don't want to damage the kit irretrievably!

More later...

• Like 5

Lots done today and yesterday, first off some experiments with trying to light the transparent plastic bulbs - I'm using a bright white SMD LED inside a blob of blue tac to hold the bulb against it - this is an animated gif...

lamp.gif

As you can see the lighting is not as bright as it could be so I still don't really know if it will be enough. I've ordered another 40 SMD LEDs in any case as there are 40 of these bulbs to place. I'm not too worried about hiding the wires as if you see some photos of the real thing there are wires and cables all over the place in the roof space. To continue from that the next piece I've built is the dynamo that sits on the front - I'm goign well of the normal construction sequence, but this is very much a build with lots of sub assemblies so the order I build them isn't important IMHO

DSC_4324.JPG

Now this dynamo is significantly lacking in detail - in particualr the back bit should stick out much more as a sort of lattice frame which has the actual dynamo inside. I'm looking at scratch building that to give it more interest. One of the other changes I'm making is the voltage and switch panel in the kit is located ont he inside of the roof. In many photos I've seen this panel at the back of the dynamo, so I will do the same and add some cables and wires to "connect" to the lighting.

Speaking of the roof, I've assbled the side panels of this in prep for whatever I'll do to it to get the lighting and lamps to work

DSC_4327.JPG

The dynamo sits on a platform at the front of the boiler so I've assembled the parts that make this and got it ready for assembly. As with most of these really old kits EVERY piece needs a lot of work to smooth the edges and joints. There is a lot of flash and quite a few mould lines, ejector pin marks and not a few sink marks.

DSC_4325.JPG

Makes you appreciate modern kits really :)

The instructions want you to start with the front steering axle so I thought I'd play along just for the sake of it and here it is, lots of sanding and a bit of filler to make the joints work

DSC_4326.JPG

I learned a lesson from the steam roller and that is to paint the wheel pokes BEFORE assembly as that makes getting the linings done right much easier. So to that end the spokes for both front and back wheels are being primed already

DSC_4328.JPG

I'm using Halfords white primer, which goes on okay but the yellow of the plastic is still showing through. Next is the water tank that hangs under the boiler. This is appropriate for the Shwoman's Engine whereas it wasn't for the Steam Roller but it was obvious the SR was a crude conversion of this kit. This comes as 6 seperate pieces which need to be carefully aligned as there are very few alignment guides with the plastic.

DSC_4322.JPG

I've also sanded off the moulded on pipes which are supposed to join up witht he moulded pipes on the boiler below

DSC_4323.JPG

which have also since been sanded off. Holes have been drilled so that these can be replaced by wire painted with brass paint. So thats where things sit as of this afternoon.

• Like 7

Nit more progress this week, main body halves were joined together and as you can see a bit of filler was requierd

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

Once this was settled, it required some more attention to set up the power requirements for the lighting later on... namely where to put the batteries and power switch. To start off with a hole was cut in the bottom of the main body.

DSC_0021.JPG

Then the piece that was cut out had some holes cut out to take the battery holders and switch

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

Other holes have been drilled in other parts to allow the wires to reach where they need to

DSC_0024.JPG

The wires will go up through the dynamo attached to the front and then be distributed into the roof via cables "attached" to the dynamo as they would have been on the real thing.

Next steps will be to start painting these sub assemblies...

• Like 2

Thanks for the interest guys. My job for today is to try to make the dynamo more accurate, ie turn this

DSC_4324.JPG

into something approaching this:

DSF_Showmans%20Engine%20Dynamo.jpg

Tickiest bit I reckon is doing the curved outer frame with spars at 120 degrees to each other...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1

Tickiest bit I reckon is doing the curved outer frame with spars at 120 degrees to each other...

I'd be looking in the spares box for an aircraft propeller to abuse. Its the windings and contactor brushes that would be giving me the willies.

• Like 1

Funny you should mention propeller, I ended up using the template I was sent by propblur.com )which was intended to help you fix and align your individual propblurs to a 3 bladed hub) to do the alignment of the 3 struts.

I've got the framework cut out and shaped using boiling water. I'll post a pic tonight. The winding and contactor brushes will be handled next :) Might require some fliddling with small bits of plastic card...

So this week has been some scratch building using very small pieces of plastic...

DSC_4436.JPG

DSC_4437.JPG

I need to add some small wiring detail but I'm tempted to hang on until is been painted for that. I need to add some other detail to the central cylinder and then stick it all together.

• Like 13