ROCAF, some time ago...

Antoine

After seeing Vincent's thread about his spotting tour of Taiwan air bases, my failing memory told me that I did have a few pictures on the subject, taken not so long ago around the Island State, on different occasions.

Quite a few pictures in fact, and fewer worth to be exposed here when you think of my ability at using a camera...

But you never know, so here we go.

Gangshan

An air base on the southwest of the island, between Tainan in the north, and the harbour-city of Kaoshiung.

It's the home of the air force academy, T-34 and AT-3 are flying all day long.

There's also the air force museum, but all the aircraft are parked outside, and are suffering badly from the elements (typhoons and earthquake are very common in Taiwan).

L-19?

gangsh11.jpg

T-33

gangsh12.jpg

F-84G

gangsh13.jpg

And last, an interesting one, a MiG-19R Farmer C, flown by a defector from the continent in 1983

gangsh14.jpg

gangsh15.jpg

• Like 2

Well, not much pictures worth to show about visit to Hsinchu and Taoyuan airport museum, so off to the main airshow that I've attended:

Taitung

This base is the southernmost one of Taiwan, facing the Pacific with its back against the mountains, and home of the ROCAF's agressors.

To avoid controls at the base entrance, the best way is to come by air.

Hercules

taitun10.jpg

taitun11.jpgtaitun12.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting markings on that F-84G Thunderjet….Since it has what appears to be a Norwegian flag on the tail and the red 'lightning' flashes associated with RNoAF in the 1950s, I wonder if these Taiwanese aircraft were obtained from the RNoAF. Methinks I will have to do some more research.

Interesting markings on that F-84G Thunderjet….Since it has what appears to be a Norwegian flag on the tail and the red 'lightning' flashes associated with RNoAF in the 1950s, I wonder if these Taiwanese aircraft were obtained from the RNoAF. Methinks I will have to do some more research.

I've asked myself the same question at the time, but I forgot about the answer I was given.

I'll come back.