Fiat 806 -"Gangshow"- build album.

Positively makes one salivate ... it thrills me that I can (and at this age) still get this excited about a build, and this hobby of ours. For my own part I've not been idle but have spent the entire weekend lacing, unpicking and re-lacing the wheel spoking .............. pic's soon.

Well done John - looking very positive and most interesting.

• Like 1

Here we go then ........................

Finally calling this one done, a bit scruffy but the first one always is what with plugging holes, re-drilling, lacing, unpicking and re-lacing. But, never the less the theory in the end works. The next will be far cleaner than this one (the first one always goes "B side rear" anyway - or is it just me that earmarks a "B side" quite early on?

Anyway, to my mind, and to the best of my judgement this is an "as prototypical as I can get it? With 40 spokes to the rear, 20 to the front, tangential all round but with an interlace across the rim on all rear spokes.

On with the pic's then ....................... straight off the bench muck'n'all ........................

Wheel-spoke3_zpscnwoofsd.jpg

A comparative shot, and to be quite honest the kit wheel isn't so bad at all, the new one is laced with 0.35mm monofilament and plastic tube to represent the nipples. Plenty of room lacing around the front axle but only just enough at the rear, this is with turning a new 1.25mm rebate into the hub.

Wheel-spoke4_zpsqfeh6ub0.jpg

Again a merciless enlargement but I wanted you to be able to read what was going on in there?? ....................

Wheel-spoke5_zpsxxpqhejr.jpg

The three quarter shot and probably the most natural viewpoint? I struggled to eliminate the groove in the centre of the rim, and in the future I may undercoat and mist a colour coat on before lacing next time - although I struggle like the devil seeing black against black nowadays!

I do think that once it's all in its topcoat colour and it starts to read as one it should look quite the part? Mine will be post race so a satin coat at best with lots of track muck and dust through the spokes ............ hmm "nice"! .............

Laters chaps.....................

Edited by Little Andi
  • Like 7

Jeremy ............

I shouldn't worry too much about the lacing of wheels, as of the comparative shot at the beginning of of this little episode ... I think they stack up reasonably well.

I just gathered the four parts together and jammed them into a tyre so simply taking ones time will help no end. Some judicious "shaving" of the kit spokes will help (there's invariably a mould seam that'll come off with a single pass of a scalpel or craft knife) trying to reduce the impact of the four part make-up of the rim will help also and finally only just enough paint to do the job, a fact helped by the black on black element.

I think if you go the "kit part" route they'll do the job admirably and result in a cracking good job. I went back to the beginning of this thread where I'd posted a shot of the finished model .... and frankly as it stands - it looks the business. .................... :thumbsup:

Awesome. I'm going to book a day off from work and come visit you, bringing my kit wheels with me, natch !! lol

No problemo Steve, you know where I live, kettles always hot and I might even rustle up some more BLT's? ..................... Just name your day.

And thanks everyone else for your kind encouragement - it's good to get a thumbs up, especially when you're unsure if you're moving in the right direction?

Cheers all............................

KH Norton have this kit at a good price with 20% off until midnight 21/1/16 with free delivery

http://www.norton.co.uk/plastic-kits-c146/cars-c540/italeri-1-1

Pretty good saving on rrp with the discount, more like what it should really be priced at imho

50 quid cheaper would be nearer the mark! Good price though.

Got a nice email from Mr. Italeri today...They have no intention of correcting their tyres before the next production run (after next year!?). So.......

..............................ahem!

IMAG1997_zpstou2fh9z.jpg

:)

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 3

so you didi it ! cudos ! this is rubber ?

Cheers sharky! No, I'm afraid it's polyurathane resin...Looks hotdamn gangster though!

IMAG1999_zpsfqieh2tt.jpg

The rubber idea is shelved for the moment as my brain was about to implode with information on using the stuff! Looked at casting in silicone rubber, but judging by my old moulds I think they would deteriorate in no time on display. Looked at casting urathane rubber, but it doesn't like RTV silicone moulds or anything with sulpher (probably this tyre). Played safe with my favourite RTV as I know it wouldn't damage the master.

:)

Here's a back shot. All I have to do now is machine a second tyre for the rear wall and we're off...ho ho ho!

IMAG2000_zpsrj04i98r.jpg

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 6

Vontrips, they look fantastic!

If you are casting them to resell, i'd be up for a set. It's a shame we are stuck with the decals for the raised lettering on the tyres.

I've been plugging away on my kit. Nothing much to show as most work is done on cleaning up parts and sub-assembling them so that they are painted together. I didn't add in extra details as close up pics are hard to come by, unlike the Mefistofele.

Jeremy

• Like 2

A really good job John - I'm impressed with your ability to make casting resin seem easy - I tried it, got into a huge mess, and left it for people like yourself who seem to have the magic of it.

I think your biggest concern now is how you are going to find the time to cast all those sets that folk will be looking for! .............. is it too early to point out that I was the first?

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Vontrips hello ! fantastic job, well done !! yes very gangstery !! not only because of the parmesan...

so now we have Pirellis and Dunlops and both look absolutely great.

i think Italeri can learn something here...

well done

• Like 1

Just taking a break from the tyres this weekend to look at the kit - which I've not done yet!

Will be firing all sorts of questions, especially about the engine; which in places, somehow looks too clinical to me!

As to the tyres; I'm happy with the results so far. Issues now are having to recast the two parts without losing detail, or suffering from shrinkage. The resin example is less than 0.1mm smaller in diameter than the master, so things look good, so far. I had the idea of sharpening up the Pirelli and Cord text, but to be honest they are not very well rendered in the first place. My castings appear to have lost no detail though the Milano text has all but gone. Given the age of the master I can only put this down to natural degradation.

Do the tyre decals fit the tyre text...no chance! Are they any good; no! Wrong font, wrong size, not set properly on a circular arc etc. Not seen an image with the tyre lettering in white anyway, so won't be using them. Hopefully, a bit of drybrush will bring them out nicely on the resin versions.

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link Vontrips.

Looks like Thomas replaced the hood hinges so that they do not protrude out. It doesn't show clearly in his photos. Anyone has any idea how to do it?

I also liked the fact he painted it in semi-gloss, and i'll be doing the same. Very nice build.

Jeremy

nice link vontrips thank you,

Jeremy, yes semi-gloss, personally i think the final look should be a "polished" look and not a glossy or semi-glossy one, because there was no gloss or semi gloss paints then etc.

this is why i am thinking of to work with the zero paint for the body of my Mephisto and then wax it

• Like 1