Fiat 806 -"Gangshow"- build album.

Jeremy hi, The effect on metal looks like a subtle wash on the pics. so it is very good, not cheating.

for washing metals i use very watered gouache water colors only. i can control the colors betters and remove them easily. For the Mephisto engine i am mainly using a gouache sienna ochre for the oil leaks. These things used to leak fresh oil not only old black oil !

by the way Kurtl started building an 806.

Vontrips good luck on your very ambitious wheel project ! my two cents : why not reconstruct a cardboard wheel and weave the wires or use metal spikes ?

as for the tyres, i would go for silicone but i don t know how stable it is on the long run.

Hi guys,

Manage to get some work done on the engine and the flooring.

The engine is not complete, but i figured some updates are better than none. I have not done any weathering, just some misting and shading to allow the black base to show through.

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0494.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

I did not follow exactly the colour guide. Some part which was supposed to be black was painted dark iron / dark steel / silver.

Jeremy

• Like 2

Alrighty then ................ my turn to post the beginnings of a small build-up. And it is a tiny bit - but! I've not got this completed on the bench, I really am building this as you see it. A bit ambitious as although I think I've thought it through? - It could all go terribly wrong at a moments notice.

I've chosen to go the monofilament route as I think it needs a more cohesive structure than individual spokes? I am a bit worried about thread build-up around the hub, and this may be an area where it all comes unstuck?? But for now my thinking makes a degree of sense and mores the point I've worked out an assembly method that's followable?

Here then is p309, out of a four piece assembly this is the second one in .......................

08106025-04a1-4fd3-af13-98329bdd3c47_zps

This is an old bobbin I've used in the past so IGNORE the pins ... these are for a 48spoke wheel, and would be used in an open lacing. Were going for a captive lacing and so the only thing of importance here is the pencil drawn in the middle of the circle - these are "exactly" 9° (nine degree) spacing, which will give you an even 40 spokes.

With a Micro saw (or some such fine bladed saw) cut a channel along the radiants, be as accurate as possible as the whole look will hinge on the spacing and evenness of the final spacings of the spokes.

f9e3085b-3045-42c0-af7d-871283370788_zps

Here is the same part now glued to p308 the outer rim. This has had the plastic spokes removed, the rim has been cleaned up somewhat. I'm using 0.35 filament for this lacing task, so a 0.55 drill was now run through from the front for the back spokes, and from the back for the front spokes - not critical but for tuppence worth of forethought they're now readily identifiable when I'm getting into a state lacing them later.

Again not important but I've counter drilled the holes on the outside of the rim - just to clean them out and to give a bit of a lead into the hole later. The rim itself has been smoothed out best I can at the minute (still a little visible seam - debating how fussy to get over this) and I've just radiused the inside corner of the wheel rim - it just looks better, looks a bit more prototypical - and mainly stops it looking like an injected kit part!!?

I'll work out the back of the wheel now and sort the hub out too - lacing to follow soon.

• Like 1

If it's any help at all, I built a set of 1/16 Benz SS rims for a friend. These are kit parts and and are looped around lugs as you can see.

I practiced using dental floss. Then went to the kit supplied wire, which was way too stiff and kinked frequently. I then found some .012 semi-stiff bead wire which worked much better.

They look good in this scale and in your 1/12 build they would be .144 in 1:1 or just over 1/8". Took primer and paint fine.

Hope this useful:

PB190006A%202%20Medium_zpsp9758xub.jpg

• Like 1

[quote name="sharknose156" post="2226263" timestamp="1452509875"

by the way Kurtl started building an 806.

Oooo...thanks for the heads up! Thought the cheeky chap would have a go at this one! I love the way he just dives in, sorts the louvres out and has a Fiat building just fall together. Bet it's going to be every bit as good as his Mefistofele!

Tempted to put the link here, but fear I might get the wrists slapped?!

Ah ........ Great link, why would one incur "slap wrists" for that? ......... EXACTLY what the idea of a Gangshow thread is all about (to my mind). Everybody mucks in with ideas and input.

Only problem I have is I wish there was an "English" language option just so I could follow it a bit more thoroughly ... although the pictures go a long way to resolving that.

I like how he dealt with the rear louvres, and I'm glad he doesn't like those HUGE nuts ... first thing I did was realise that they'd have to go.

• Like 1

Nope - didn't work for me Steve ..... but my old desktop is pretty much steam driven anyway so probably doesn't support whatever software it needs?

Thanks anyway ............... the pic's are probably enough at this stage ........................... Taa.

Little Andy, did you start ? even the guys at the post office are keen to know.

if you use Chrome as a webbrowser you will have an option to translate a page in German automatically into English.

this is also when right clicking gives you the option Steve was mentioning.

You are right on the Kurtl link, the whole purpose is that we all learn from each other and up our game in this wonderful hobby.

i started my Mephisto, but there are so many good threads on this build, i have nothing new to show on riveting, and strengthening the chassis etc. all has been done and shown.

however, i may post if i am able to breakthrough on the painting, finishing and weathering, using the Goodwood pics as a guide.

best to all,

Sam

• Like 1

Nope - didn't work for me Steve ..... but my old desktop is pretty much steam driven anyway so probably doesn't support whatever software it needs?

Thanks anyway ............... the pic's are probably enough at this stage ........................... Taa.

Yep, Chrome autotranslates on my phone. Sadly, I don't think Kurt's English is as good as his builds! I spoil you guys:

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=55952

It's a cracker if you've missed it! :)

Edited by vontrips

i suppose nobody wants to ping Kurtl on the wheels issues being below par ? or is it too early in the game ?

Vontrips : there was a Mexican guy a while ago on the web who built an entire 806 1/8 from scratch in metal and copper i think, including the wheels.

it's a blast i can t find my references anymore.

If i remember the pictures correctly he took the Procar model 1/12 and went 1/8 scale... totally bezerk, beautifully bending and shaping a metal body heated red hot on an 806 bodyshaped carved wood and hammering nicely at it !

He scratched the engine in metal and brass as well. i think he went from anticipating needing 500 pieces initially to ending with 2000 pieces if i remember.

How did he do the wheels ? don't remember but his tyres were casted in solid plastic or hard rubber if i am not mistaken...

Gentlemen, just found something here : http://www.geraldwingrove.com/Model_Makers_Showcase/Fonticoba.html

all for a good cause !

Edited by sharknose156

i suppose nobody wants to ping Kurtl on the wheels issues being below par ? or is it too early in the game ?

LOL...Yes, I know it! Been thinking about doing the same, but no idea how he got the engine data -I've found SFA. If I did the engine, I'd do it in plastic and cast it, especially if guessing dimensions. Been there already with the Stutz Black Hawk U16 block - scrapped it and starting again! Decided life is only so long!

Vontrips : there was a Mexican guy a while ago on the web who built an entire 806 1/8 from scratch in metal and copper i think, including the wheels.

it's a blast i can t find my references anymore.

If i remember the pictures correctly he took the Procar model 1/12 and went 1/8 scale... totally bezerk, beautifully bending and shaping a metal body heated red hot on an 806 bodyshaped carved wood and hammering nicely at it !

He scratched the engine in metal and brass as well. i think he went from anticipating needing 500 pieces initially to ending with 2000 pieces if i remember.

How did he do the wheels ? don't remember but his tyres were casted in solid plastic or hard rubber if i am not mistaken...

Gentlemen, just found something here : http://www.geraldwingrove.com/Model_Makers_Showcase/Fonticoba.html

all for a good cause !

LOL...Yes, I know it! Been thinking about doing the same, but no idea how he got the engine data -I've found SFA. If I did the engine, I'd do it in plastic and cast it, especially if guessing dimensions. Been there already with the Stutz Black Hawk Special U16 block - scrapped it and starting again! Decided life's too short!

FrankLockhartV16.jpg

MillerV16cylinderscopy.jpg

Millercamtower-1.jpg

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

Some nice scratching going on there John ..... I can't seem to work that cleanly and crisply. My work tends to be a bit more "crafty" than "engineering" in as much as I work in my hands a lot.

Comes from years of making do and mend I suppose. Although I do envy those who are able to produce work like this ... it's an aspirational thing maybe?

Cheers guys! There's nothing special there really - it's just plastic card cut by hand. The cylinders were resin cast from a sheet master which had some ally tube added for the spark plug sockets. I'm happy with castings but had huge problems with bubbles on the 1mm slot head screws. One day I'll redo the case as I'm not happy with the curves. Then there's the supercharger cases to make - argh! :)

Edited by vontrips

IMAG1982_zpsmcxdgrzw.jpg

IMAG1985_zps2tkdherv.jpg

Finger out; I'm away on this one! Sounds like I'm about to rampage through a build but that's going to happen. My old resin is 4 years old so thought I'd use it to make some blanks this morning. Can't believe it - it's cured perfectly! I have had this stuff go off before it's been posted before...6 month shelf life.

Chucked it in the lathe to make some sort of casting rod for the tyres. I'm going to try to do them in rubber. This blank will be profiled to match the wheel rim to save causing any damage to Rich's wheel. Tried drawing the mould patterns and still not got my head round it so busking it. Rubber and resin on order this week.

If you are considering buying a lathe; just go for it! It doesn't have to be flash - my cheapo Chinese special is 10 years old and I can't begin to explain how much fun I've had with it. Turning resin is the ultimate pleasure!!! :)

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 3

Blimey, it's all hands to the deck, green for go and blast off !!

I haven't even opened the blinkin' sprue bags yet. Must get a move on this week.

Actually, there is some stuff on here that will be mercilessly copied, especially Andi's wheel lacing jig. So, getting behind is part of the plan!

Really enjoying the progress by all of the current build starters, great work.

Steve.

• Like 1

Playtime over for tonight! First mould part sorted.

IMAG1992_zpsdogch2ww.jpg

Tyre fits like a glove! The centre ridge on the resin part is a natsnicker wider than the rim. This should give a bit of leeway on the cast tyres and has straightened the treads and sidewall dips.

IMAG1996_zpsuhasglwb.jpg

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 3