Fiat 806 -"Gangshow"- build album.

Hello everyone, nice to see your progress.

after two weeks absence, i will be back at my bench this week end....

Good to see you post Sam, must admit I was a bit concerned at your sudden disappearance ... you were conspicuous by your absence.

Almost tried to make contact through "FB", glad I didn't now though as it would of made me look like some twittering neurotic ... :mental::winkgrin:.

Some of us are looking forward to your latest update on the Mefistofele so come on lad - crack on!

• Like 2

Good to see you post Sam, must admit I was a bit concerned at your sudden disappearance ... you were conspicuous by your absence.

Almost tried to make contact through "FB", glad I didn't now though as it would of made me look like some twittering neurotic ... :mental::winkgrin:.

Some of us are looking forward to your latest update on the Mefistofele so come on lad - crack on!

You think that's bad - stalker bloke here has tried to contact both of you on fb and no response...you tarts! :)

Talking of Stalkers; I followed a hidious looking 2000ish Mustang yesterday with giant Stalker lettering embossed into the rear bumper! Naturally, I googled it and they're an American aftermarket company! Who would be enough of a twit to drive round in something like that? Tempted to phone the Police and give his reg!!! :)

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 2

Hi gang,

great to see some progress from you all. I have been a bit under the weather recently from a painful chest infection, still, it is on the mend now so time to buck up and make some posts.

Silverstone was really a superb meeting this year, there was a BRM P261 in attendance as well so that was a nice bonus (for an ERA/BRM fan like me at least!)

I spent some time taking a few shots of wheels, engines, instrument panels, etc. Perhaps these can be the topic of some discussions, they are pretty much all pre-war vintage so quite typical of the FIAT although the 806 may have been more technically advanced than some of the stuff I saw last weekend :coolio:

Some wheel shots to start with. I was on the lookout for different types of air valve, to be honest, the majority of cars had normal black rubber valves as used today. There were a few vintage looking valves however....

WP_20160423_097_zpspsw3pviv.jpg

WP_20160423_070_zpsbtbjltfg.jpg

WP_20160423_057_zpswbcwaqyn.jpg

WP_20160423_020_zpsxhqalcan.jpg

How about these for Magnetos then ....

WP_20160423_100_zpsvotzjaty.jpg

• Like 2

Various stuff in these pics but mostly included as they were lovely examples of typical 'weathering' such as leaks and associated staining. Hopefully it gives an impression of what will happen to steel when exposed to oil and heat. There is a sort of gilting effect going on here? I have seen a few examples of models like the Mephistopheles being built with brass rocker gear, don't think that would work very well !!

WP_20160423_099_zpsyiuvkoyw.jpg

WP_20160423_082_zpslqgstscx.jpg

WP_20160423_080_zpsc7utu64w.jpg

WP_20160423_083_zpsjc0sdnr1.jpg

WP_20160423_096_zps1dnnvjf1.jpg

WP_20160423_010_zpszlgprots.jpg

Hope you find these pics helpful in some way.

• Like 5

Gentlemen, thank you for your kind words, please contact me anytime, no stalking here and i apologize for miscommunication on my side ... also, did not visit fb for a long time now. These past two weeks were like being in a tunnel with my work, was also traveling and yesterday was at a funeral, beautiful but very sad.

VT i dont think i got an invitation on fb, i will check tonight. my pic is the one with natural horsepower.

Triumphfan, firstly excellent pics really thank you, i will study them in great details, and more importantly hope you are well now.

Banny, congrats on the new camera... please use it to our pleasure.

• Like 1

Great pic's Steve ..... some lovely details there, answer a few questions do they - pose a few too unfortunately. As per our telephone conversation of this morning I'm really going to give in to my wanton side with this build - I've found so many anomalies that it is akin to the 806 in pretty much name only. Of course this gives me carte blanche to have a real play around and defy anyone to find evidence as they wheeled it back into the arches; bricks and mortar at the ready!!

• Like 2

Hows this for a bit of a laugh then ..............................

Bender-1_zps20ovsaox.jpg

Bender-2_zpsinnivq9r.jpg

Apart from being faintly ridiculous? It's a groovy little device for bending styrene rod and tube.

A small little Vee block that I had kicking around the bench ... it heats up real quick (VFH) and whilst twisting/revolving the work-piece it's possible to control the softening without fear of it bursting into flames or simply collapsing into a molten blob, the degree at which you need to transfer it to a former and put your bend into the job - lock in with a household mister and move on to the next bend etc etc.

Clumsy and comedic that it looks, it's actually quite an elegant solution to a problem I am anticipating in this build ... (to be revealed if I make a success of it - otherwise I'll not mention it again - ) :weep:.

• Like 3

Well, if it fails to work you can always cook very small sausages on it. :coat:

Ha,ha,ha ............................. You laugh now but wait till you call whining ... "can I borrow your burny-bendy thing" ... Oh yes, it'll all be different then - you just wait and see! ... :bleh:

• Like 1

I'm not quite ready to put this part of the body into primer yet, but felt I'd moved on enough that details would be lost - should that anyone is following and might be using these notions as guidance?

Much happier with the louvres now, still not prototypically correct of course but nice and and open and flared - to me they now "look" like louvres as I might expect to see them. And without going off on some philosophical debate I think this is the essence of my modelling ... I tend to represent things how I think they should look rather than how they are - which probably explains why when I look in the mirror I see someone much taller and better looking! .................... I'm not joking now but after speaking to someone for a considerable time on the phone - that was their opening statement on finally meeting!!!!!

Pic's ........................

806-36_zpsvxsr5n6x.jpg

806-35_zpshlsz7i4f.jpg

806-34_zpsxhqefnms.jpg

Obviously there are a lot more rivets visible in these pic's than you might expect - kind of my point up above really. I'm sure once this goes into primer paint and then weathering these will sit well back into the build and provide a little relief onto what would of become quite a blank canvas - it'll give me something to work with (if I need it) when the heavy weathering starts.

Probably far more important is the amount of work that's gone into fettling those cockpit cowls - all but completely changed the profiles in order to make it look as though the rivets really are holding the darn things on! Spent a lot of time fettling the bodywork in general, hence the splashes of filler primer and grey primer just so I could see where I was going with it!!

I'll be happier when it's all into primer though and I can make a final check that all is well and it/she looks clean and tidy ...................... Bonnet and Radiator cowl next - phew!

• Like 1

Some lovely details and thought has clearly gone into your latest progress Andi bloke. I for one am suitably inspired, the more I delve into the pics and, comparing the body with the unmodded parts I have in my hand, it is becoming obvious how much work has gone into this.

Great idea to post before paint as it shows what work has been completed and also a great comparison as top coat can change the appearance and even perceived size of added details. In fact, some of them disappear altogether in terms of what was kit part as opposed to added detail?

I really like the rolled edges of the cockpit and cowls, very nicely done.

Hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow to stop thinking about my build and actually do something with it physically. At least we have this thread for inspiration, I for one am in desperate need !!

Atb, Steve.

Managed to get a few hours modelling this week, but still just have a pile of heavily modified parts! Hopefully, soon I may be able to assemble something!

Couldn't handle looking at those stupid front springs any longer; so they're chopped!

IMAG2924_zpsfjwvr1aq.jpg

There is just a single leaf on the rear mounting tower now which may break under the weight of the model. At the moment I'm not fussed and shall deal with it as and when. The mould halves are so out of register there's not a lot left when cleaned up.

Couldn't resist chopping the solid rear axle too. The bolts are moulded in, but there was no joint lines for the axle tubes! These will be assembled with appropriate gaskets (just to keep Codger happy!). :)

IMAG2925_zpsxozhjggr.jpg

Not sure what the doodad is on the back of the diff housing; guessing it was either a breather tube, or inspection handle. It's a handle now...me being arty as there's not much going on back there!

Some lovely work on cleaning those springs up and preparation of the back axle for super detailing. Are you putting gaskets in between the half shaft housings and the diff carrier? Wow.

I would like to point out though, the spurious looking front spring arrangement is, although a bit crude, quite prototypical. I have seen this style of attachment on other cars of the period. As far as I can recall it is designed to provide a semi fixed point for one end of the spring instead of the one end fixed and the other hinged as usually found. The idea is that the leaf that goes into the housing can slide back and forth but this is only on one axis? I can't remember all the detail as it was explained to me, it was quite a few years ago now.

I say this for general thread info only so please modify and build your model exactly as you please.

I just needed to point out that it very probably isn't an accuracy issue with the kit parts/design.

Atb, Steve.

Andi, great progress. Did you make those rivets ? thank you for posting this before priming, many thoughts and details for our benefit.

Your build is unfolding like a good story about to start. I mean the story starts when the weathering starts, all which comes before the weathering is mere introduction.

But the introduction is a story unto itself :banghead: . Gee, i was away too long...

Finally ! i was able to sit at my bench yesterday. I thought i would hit the ground running after such a long absence of two weeks... but it took me a while to review all my references and feel comfortable again to continue working on the engine. I think i solved the distributors scratch issues to my satisfaction ( considering my satisfaction ratio :mental: ) more to come soon.

good night or good morning :sleep_1::tooth:

• Like 1

Thought you may be interested in this - I was wondering what to do to about the bonnet hinge and found an old spectacle case which has a small 'piano hinge'. It looks as if, with a bit of fettling, it will be ideal. It looks as if all specs cases have similar sized hinges.

77a2c6c0-8885-4b22-b958-4af89a2620ae_zps

Who wants to protect their glasses anyway?

• Like 2

For me it's a bit clunky and over-scale - BUT, it's a cracking find and a telling sign that you're starting to develop "scale eyes". And it's amazing what comes into focus when you apply those to your surroundings.

Great eureka moment - and now stored away in my mental "A-ha!" compartment.

Banny, if you want to make the bonnet workable, micro hinges used for doll houses might work better? You can line a few up and they should work.

Another alternative would be the micro piano hinge sold by Micromark which comes in long lengths. I recently purchased two for the Airfix Bentley. The Micromark hinges can be cut to the desired length.

Jeremy

Yes, they do look chunky! I'm still going to use small tube on mine. Bare in mind that the tubes just need to interlock between the parts and not have a pin through them. The hinge part only needs to be pinned at the ends (like the kit) as long as the bonnet parts don't flex in the middle.

There's some great stuff going on in this thread! Sorry about the lack of input but I recently been sent out to work...grrr! :)

• Like 1

i second VT's idea, looks like it will bear the most realistic result.

Unless the hinges are on the inside, it s very hard to get it right at this scale.