Fiat 806 -"Gangshow"- build album.

Hi guys,

Here's what i have done so far. I'm not really spending much time on this kit at the moment as i am trying to finish my 1/12 Tamiya Datsun 240Z Safari Car.

First pic below, i'm testing the 2 side parts. Instruction calls for a screw to secure it to the frame, but this looks kinda weird. I don't think a screw is necessary here since the weight of plastic is way lesser than a metal kit.

DSC_0452.jpg

2nd and 3rd pic shows the bottom. 2 screws are required to fix each of the 2 side parts. Again, i am not sure if these screws are necessary. Thinking of just covering the holes with plastic hex nuts.

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

Andi, thanks for the pictures of the leaf springs. I'll take a look at the kit's parts and see if they need replacing.

Jeremy

And we're off ... Well done Jeremy; - those pic's were put up by Rich' ... but equally I pored over them to see how it might be best to tackle a scratchup. My hands are actually twitching for want of getting this on the bench. Most unusual as stuff tends to get a mild groking and then sits in the stash for several or more years.

On that front though I got a "Dispatch" notice yesterday evening - which probably means it'll go out today - so it's in the lap of the Gods as to whether I get it this year or next!!!

Rich, it seems the two destructions are a little different? ... eg, those spring breakdowns are a fantastic piece of reference info' if us plastic guys are working with "updated" instructions .... keep an eye on us for such things you think might come in handy will you Rich' ... cheers bloke.

As you asked Andi:

These parts on the instructions part diagrams are all white metal (well except the

tyres/seat/leads obviously!):

Fiat%20806-406001_zpswphlm6le.jpg

HOWEVER, the shock absorbers are also metal and not shown on the parts diagrams!!!

Rear:

Fiat%20806-406022_zpsgayu4hms.jpg

Front:

Fiat%20806-406023_zpsquvfurcm.jpg

Rich

Edited by ptcruiser

Vontrips: I have just unearthed my built example and I think it safe to say it needs some renovation and tlc. However, as if to emphasise my previous point with regards to weight and fragility, the offside rear wheel has detached itself - ie the spindle has sheared again. However, every cloud as they say, the said wheel and tyre would now be available to loan if anyone would like to cast a copy of the Pirelli logoed tyre.

20151228_2043511_zps6pw8nfde.jpg

The instruction booklet was also with the model so I will scan a copy which refers to the differences between this and the new kit - not least of which are individual leaf springs which are annealed and steering wheel wrapping.

Cheers

Rich

Ooo Ooo, who's gonna cast those tyres we all need, come on!!

Mac

Now hear this - NOW here this ................................ Post Office has emailed me with a dispatch confirmation - collected on a 24hr shipping invoice so should be with me on the morrow. Standing by to be a little disappointed, and somewhat downcast? - But why am I so bliddy excited --------------- THIS is all your fault Steve ... :coolio:

• Like 2

Now hear this - NOW here this ................................ Post Office has emailed me with a dispatch confirmation - collected on a 24hr shipping invoice so should be with me on the morrow. Standing by to be a little disappointed, and somewhat downcast? - But why am I so bliddy excited --------------- THIS is all your fault Steve ... :coolio:

I had the same notice from Parcelfarce. Hopefully I will be answering the door to Postman Pat tomorrow as well. First to receive the parcel telephones the other, ok?

Easy to google image of the 806: Note chassis rail colour the same as the body and lack of screen so possibly a pre-race publicity shot?

fiat806a.jpg

Rich

fiat_806_corsa_1_zpsiauufiey.jpg

I thought the above may be of interest as it highlights some of the difficulties of using photos for reference (especially from this era). I've had the chance to compare both of the pics on a large monitor today. I believe both pics are from the same shoot and both have been retouched by brush and airbrush. Note the car has only crept backwards by an inch or two looking at the hub locknuts. The tyre wall textures differ due to airbrushing and the top shot has darkroom 'dodging' and 'burning' techniques around the lower engine panels and cockpit. Bordino looks like he may well have been pasted in place too, as there's something not quite right going on there! Tricky job pre-Photoshop...normally involved two size matched prints physically collaged together, then re-shot.

Above all, it's clear the car was in the metal in both these pics! Are these the only photos of the car at this stage of development? I'm guessing here, but if so, I can see why folk assume the chassis rails were body coloured. The problem is compounded by the fact the red paint looks black in the race photos - a common issue with certain early film types/brands.

From what I've read recently, Protar had access to the factory blueprints for the car when designing this model. Would they guess about the chassis colour???

Anyway, just some food for thought - and I'll still be doing red rails ;-)

Edited by vontrips

Hmmm....still undecided whether to do the rails red or black. It would really look good in black especially if parked next to the Mefistofele. If the chasis is red, would FIAT allow the box-art to show black? This kit is endorsed by FIAT after all.

For the parts which i don't think require screws, i'll be filling up the holes. Looks funny having screws on places where they no longer serve any function.

Compared with the Mefistofele which has tons of photos available, I can't really find much info on the 806. Does anyone have good pictures of the engine?

Hmmm....still undecided whether to do the rails red or black. It would really look good in black especially if parked next to the Mefistofele. If the chasis is red, would FIAT allow the box-art to show black? This kit is endorsed by FIAT after all.

I would hazard a guess that the bean counters at Fiat who deal with the licensing payments, care more about the cold, hard cash than whether the box art is accurate?

• Like 1

The main reason for the distinct lack of references is that, IIRC, the car was destroyed shortly after the win on it's only appearance? They were not as eagre to capture the nuances of colour and technical detail in photographic terms in 1927 as we have become accustomed to today.

Rich

Ref to "Fiat allowing" this is the original box lid:

946132-12155-98.jpg

Rich

Rather enthusiastic article, to say the least!

"Don't, don't; don't believe the hype"! ;-)

Edited by vontrips

The main reason for the distinct lack of references is that, IIRC, the car was destroyed shortly after the win on it's only appearance? They were not as eagre to capture the nuances of colour and technical detail in photographic terms in 1927 as we have become accustomed to today.

Rich

Ref to "Fiat allowing" this is the original box lid:

946132-12155-98.jpg

Rich

Hmmm...so if the rails are red, i would think the rest of the chassis including the suspensions and leaf springs to also be red?

It's most likely i'll go with the same scheme as the one Rich has posted in the other thread. Red rails, springs, suspensions with some other minor parts in black.

Mine arrived via Parcelfarce yesterday.

Immediately upon opening the parcel a phonecall from Little Andi ensued. (not altogether comfortable with calling Andi Little, since we are the same height!)

To be honest, there wasn't really a happy ending to our conversation. The cut and thrust of it was, value for money. I have to say, if I had paid RRP, there would be a distinct feeling of disappointment.

We talked about comparing with products from Tamiya and age of the original Protar moulding but perhaps to validate the spend more than anything else?

Since yesterday, I have looked in the box several more times and there are things that I am happy with and others less so. All of the dubious stuff can be put down to mould technology and the difficulty in producing a model kit in this scale, thinking in terms of parts that can be omitted or moulded together in smaller scales.

On the positive side, this thread will be a great showcase for builders to post their version of the Fiat 806. The real car no longer exists, reference material is fairly poor with no colour pics at least. It certainly looks to me like a great looking model could be built right out of the box.

There is a possibility that some inspiring modelling will be shown and even some replacement parts made available. It will be interesting to see if any wheels get re-spoked now that I've seen the kit parts!!

Anyhoo..... Onwards and upwards. Let the fun begin.

Steve.

P.S. One of the axle pins is broken on my example so this is my first headache, accurately drill and pin a new axle rod.

Hey Steve - "you're taller than me" - everybody is taller than me!! ........................................ But I am adorable :yahoo:

Mine still hasn't arrived - still showing as out for delivery but when you pull up the details it shows still as returned to the Coventry depot - and of course they've made it nigh on impossible to get in touch to find out what's occurring. So, yet again I'm stuck in waiting while they (Parcel Force) decide what they're playing at ............ Grrrr.

Nice one Christian! That with another race shot and Andi will be jumping up and down in anticipation! :)

Bordino08_zpsuzizn9v2.jpg

Glad to hear yours has arrived safely Steve!

This came up on a 'Fiat 406 engine' web search. Though I think it's a straight six eg. half of it!

Bordino11_zpsqeqj1ta3.jpg

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

Nice build Christian. Just studying the wheels, do you know how many spokes the original kit wheels had? The current boxing has 36 spoke wheels, pretty sure that is too few although not sure how many by? I visit vintage car race meets and I get the feeling that earlier wheels had less spokes, it may just be that the diameter of the wheel is greater though, giving the impression of less spokes.

I'll have to study my pics a bit more and try and count spokes :shutup:

EDIT: A quick look at my ref pics of Bentleys and ERA's all show 72 spokes. BAD news. Pretty much means that each wheel part will need the spoke count doubling.

Now what did I tell you? Said it were a lot didn't I..................... Still not arrived btw, even tried phoning Parcel Force but just got an automated message with lots of options that eventually told me exactly what the tracker did - should of been a 24hr Express delivery - up to 54hrs already. But the worst is not being able to contact anyone to clarify the situation - what a crock!

• Like 1