Fiat 806 -"Gangshow"- build album.

Here we go then chaps The Gangshow album for the build which is the Italeri FIAT 806 Grand Prix. Starting pretty much sometime in the early New Year - or now! If you something to add/contribute.

The idea being it's simply where a gang of guys get together to share information, solutions and references... and of course to show their latest updates.

Here's the topic in question - pretty little thing isn't she?

806-Italeri-1-12_zpsobpkcycb.jpg

I'll not do a roll call but suffice to say there's already four of us, and of course all are welcome. For myself I'm always happier using given names so it would be matey if you could use one - even if it's not your own!!?

Gentlemen ........ start your engines......................................

• Like 7

Colin .... I've ordered mine from the UK and it should be with me early in the New Year. As far as I can tell they had a couple of examples left and at a very reasonable price - Mike Jolly also has them for definite, but I'm not sure whether his online offer might not of lapsed now, (try "model kits for less" in facebook).

And Afore I go - here's a couple of three snippets I've come across - dates back to '04 and accredited to a John Cooke!

1. The steering wheel should be attached with the open rim section to the bottom as in instructions, not at the top as in box art. See photos above.
2. The windscreen was attached for the Monza race.
3. The body paint was a matt or satin finish and was brushed on. It was kept clean with an oily rag.
4. The chassis rails should be painted in body colour.

They were also asking about the clear celluloid cover on the steering wheel - which we must assume at this juncture was for Hot Air and Oil mist?? - anyone?

• Like 1

This might come in handy??? Shows the steering wheel orientation referred to in the previous post....................

Fiat-1927-806-d2_zpswfaffmfx.jpg

Image borrowed for personal use and modelling purposes - if anyone has issues with us using these we'd be happy to take them down of course. (Thank You).

I would, but I don't think the kits been released here in the UK yet

Hi Colin,

Mine arrived before Christmas from Hiroboy (great service, BTW).

Andi, I'm up for the build. Answers to the name Johnny now and then!

I should mention a nice build of the white metal version by my chum Christian (capri-schorsch). He's on here and I'm sure will be along in a while! I'll follow his route and replace the bodywork rivets.

Edited by vontrips

I will also add my progress to the thread although, I think Andi had included me anyway?

Looking at the reference material available, I think knowledge of contemporary machinery/ technical capability will play a part in refining some of the kit details.

The last pic(on the start line) posted by Rich, also shows some wear and tear, scorched exhausts, etc. This could be nice to replicate rather than a pristine 'publicity shot' finish.

Steve.

Yep' .... your name was already in the pot. You don't lure me into this without at least some sort of contribution; plus it'll be good to be working alongside each other again.

My first quandary though: As I've mooched about I read someone categorically state that the exhaust was most definitely black and not as some folk had suggested "silver" (probably an aluminium paint). But, that exhaust in the pic' you mentioned doesn't look very black to me ............... and this, I think is why it's going to be beneficial having a "gangshow" build. That and of course the whole Band of Brothers thing.

And re' build style, I shall be aiming for "Ridden hard and put away wet" as a look myself. And as for building the kit I cannot wait to tear into it now - there are a LOT of areas that are going to need refining and massaging, a lot of use of way over-scale nuts and bolts, I might be tempted to rebuild those leaf springs and dampers - re-spoking is I think almost a necessity. but my biggest bugbear so far without having the kit in my hands yet - those body panels and the HUGE radius at the edges - THAT's going to take some dealing with? .............

Anyhoo .... this is a good thing(sort of) it's where the fun comes from ... although not always at the time it can seem! And I'm glad to see the paintwork is a matt to satin finish and not that awful dipped in glycerine die cast toy way too shiny look some folk equate with a gloss finish. (mutter mutter grumble).

..................... New Years resolution - I must be nice, I must be nice, I must be nice! .................... :banghead:

http://www.velocetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/406engine-545.jpg

Confirms my suspicions about the tubes at the end of the Fiat 406 engine case. The kit part has a sharp angled joint where they meet. Clearly in the drawing, it's a gentle curve.

Andi, bare in mind the spoke count is way off if respoking!

Had a look at the box art today. Italeri have been very cheeky with this one as it's a photo of the model with loads of poor quality Photoshopping on top! Some poor soul has had to double the grill bar count and improve the radiator mesh so that the front number looks good! The radiator number decal is well wrong too. They have digitally compressed the 15 number font on the x-axis. To a typographer it dates it to late 80s TV graphics...I know, I was there!!! :)

Edited by vontrips

I knew the spoke count was way out as I believe they have used the Mefistofele wheels from that kit,and although very good not very accurate. Anyone got any pictures of the actual kit

Here you go Colin - http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/12/italeris-december-christmas-presents.html

This is to "The Modelling News" blog site. just scroll down and it will take you straight into an extensive sprue and parts breakdown - I've already pored over these and identified areas that'll need a little fettling.

• Like 2

Just had a look at the Italeri photos, surprised the photo-shopper missed the huge sink holes in the exhaust parts !

I am extremely apprehensive about the wheels now. It looks like I could be about to embark on my first re-spoking..... :frantic:

It's easy Steve, I've a couple of different methods in mind - I'll take you through it if you like?? ................ It'll be the making of you :evil_laugh: .

• Like 2

Please everyone keep an eye out for a Protar basketcase! I'd really like one of those correct tyres...makes a big difference to the final appearance. I'm still miffed as even the square profile is wrong.

Maybe we should pester Italeri as I'm sure they have the moulds and I do feel mislead regarding exactly what I've paid for!

Nipples Sir? ;-)

I always make sure I pay attention to the nipples - an important part of the process (allegedly).

Spoking3.jpg

These haven't been tapped up to length for gluing yet - but you get the idea. Not sure yet about 1/12 whether one will have to use brass tube, or I'll get away with a blob of PVA - or the like. I'll have a play when I'm able.

PS ........... If you get around to mastering and casting some better tyres put my name on a set will you - happy to contribute.

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

I have just started on the 806 so will be watching following this thread closely.

For the price Italeri's charging, this kit is way overpriced especially compared to the Mefistofele. But i guess beggars can't be choosers and Italeri knows we do not have much of a choice if we really want a classic racer in 1/12.

I'll be doing some basic add-on, like adding wooden veneers to the floor.

Not sure if the rivets on the body need to be replaced with spherical rivets.The ones molded on look like flat rivets.

I'll also keep a close eye on how to lace the wheels. Not sure if i have the skills to do the wheels.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Jeremy .... good to see you posting. And please, continue to do so. If you're able, and seeing as you're in the lead: Please post your progress, flag any areas of concern and highlight any solutions you may devise .... as we get a hold of our kits and "Fire 'em up" we'll being doing exactly the same.

Cheers bloke.

Vontrips: I have just unearthed my built example and I think it safe to say it needs some renovation and tlc. However, as if to emphasise my previous point with regards to weight and fragility, the offside rear wheel has detached itself - ie the spindle has sheared again. However, every cloud as they say, the said wheel and tyre would now be available to loan if anyone would like to cast a copy of the Pirelli logoed tyre.

20151228_2043511_zps6pw8nfde.jpg

The instruction booklet was also with the model so I will scan a copy which refers to the differences between this and the new kit - not least of which are individual leaf springs which are annealed and steering wheel wrapping.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by ptcruiser
  • Like 2