Hawker Hector 613 Sq RAF, 1940, A-model, 1/72 - silvering removal

JWM

Hi,

Hawker Hector - the number fourth (of planned five) belonging to my "mass production" of Hart family. The only one known combat scheme from 613 Squadron, May 1940, France.

Finally this is almost OOB work. Besides resin wheels from AZ Hart B4 (cause I like the rivets on them), some small scratch additions (edit: like gun sight or second air intake on top on engine) and small modification of painting scheme - I do not belive in code white letters (see photo of "Hart Family" Mushroom book on p. 99 where letters are darker than white on roundel). I do not belived in white undersurface and stabilizers - so I propose bottom like on photos below. The grey letters come from Techmod Fairey Battle set no 7212. R is from GR, Z and X from NZ-x.

I still fighting with some silvering of decals, thou I would like to show it already.

Comments welcome

Regards and post-Xmass greetings to all.

Jerzy-Wojtek

hector DSC05932hector DSC05931hector DSC05912hector DSC05911hector DSC05910hector DSC05900hector DSC05874

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 37

Thank you Gents for comments and likes.

"Trauma after doing Azur Vildebeest" - this is still ahead of me....

EDIT: The decals were not bad themselvs, I thought that they are very thin and I skip painting gloss under them - so mostly my fault...

Few more shots:

hector%20DSC05912_zpsvrlwbsxd.jpghector%20DSC05910_zpszdffcpyu.jpg

Edited by JWM
  • Like 5

Super piece of work Jerzy, I quite fancy one of these myself.

613 Sqn flew a number of sorties in 1940 using these relics, flying from their base in Britain first to dive-bomb advancing German columns, then dropping supplies to British forces. Unfortunately in the latter case the beleaguered uniits had been overrun and forced to surrender by the time the supplies were dropped. At least a couple of Hectors were lost to enemy action.

• Like 3

Thanks for comments - regarding use of Hector in campaign in France I think Mitch gave the essense of it. I am not sure only about the loses - was it just single machine lost, not more? In Mushroom book on Hart family there is a small chapter about it with some memoires of a pilot. Six Hectors with known serials (but only one with indentified serial and letter code, I think) took place in actions. There is a phote of ZR-E but without seen serial. ZR-N (with known serial) crashed earlier on 15th Feb 1940 (Wiki says here about this crash: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_military_aircraft_(1940%E2%80%9344)#1944 :

15 February Hawker Hector army co-operation biplane, the end of the Hawker Hart line, K9731, 'ZR-N', of No. 613 Squadron RAF, suffers engine problem on take-off from RAF Odiham, buries nose in an earthen berm .[5]

At web page http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/613_wwII.htmlthere is such description:

The squadron was formed on 1 March 1939 as an army co-operation squadron in the Auxiliary Air Force. A shortage of aircraft meant it was originally equipped with the Hawker Hind bomber, and even when army co-operation aircraft did arrive late in 1939 it was in the form of the obsolete Hawker Hector. It was only in April 1940 that the squadron finally received the Westland Lysander. In the following month the German offensive in the west began, and the squadron used both its Lysanders and its Hectors. The first operation came on 26 May when both types were used in an attack on German field guns near Calais. The squadron was engaged in light bombing and supply drops until early June.

Late in June a detachment from the squadron began to fly dawn and dusk coastal patrols to guard against German invasion. The detachment was soon joined by the entire squadron and this duty was performed until November 1940.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

The RAF used biplanes in the Battle of Brittain⁉️

0_0

The Hector was used at the end of the Battle of France but there was, at least, one squadron of Gladiators in the Bob and, I'm sure I've read of a Hawker Hart being used to intercept something.

Can you imagine the disappointment in the Ranks of 613 squadron......

First you get sent to France with the Hawker Hind, "oh but it's ok guys they are going to send us some more up to date machines....."

Here you go boys, you lucky devils, you are being given the exciting opportunity to use the......Hawker Hector !

Is someone taking the complete p*ss !

Ok boys we admit the Hector wasn't as modern as you may have been hoping for so we are giving you something bang up to date, cutting edge.... Gentlemen the Westland Lysander !

Im going to volunteer for the Artic convoys, there is a higher survival rate !

• Like 4

Jockney, it must have been like having your car upgraded to a Wartburg!

Jerzy, my reference was a very sketchy one and yours might well be much more accurate than mine, so I'll go with your data!

• Like 3

Very nice Hector, J-W! I have this kit also as I have in my mind to someday do most of the Hart family. It's the rigging that scares me, but you obviously have got the hang of rigging.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

It's the rigging that scares me, but you obviously have got the hang of rigging.

Thanks - however it is bacuse of EZ. With this stuff the rigging is piece of cake. It takes perhaps two hours - one for drilling, another one for rigging itself.

No.1 Glider Training School had 14 Hectors, used as glider tugs, while they were at RAF Croughton in 1942.

Ratch - yes! - the glider tug was my second option, but finally I made the combat one...

Thanks for comments and likes again Gents :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Rare (thus fine) subject!

BTW - some profiles show the extreme nose underside part (some 3 ft just behind the prop) to be camouflaged in DG/DE.

Are there any photos to confirm or deny this?

• Like 1

BTW - some profiles show the extreme nose underside part (some 3 ft just behind the prop) to be camouflaged in DG/DE.

Are there any photos to confirm or deny this?

Indeed - this was a question. Even there was a thread on this:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39182-amodel-hawker-hector-colour-question/?hl=hector.

Therfore in first post the painting of undrsurface was named "my interpretation" - with fuselage and stabizers left in Aluminum dope, and only wings black/white. The A-model instruction suggests DG/DE bottom of nose and white bottom of whole remaining fuselage and stabilizers. I do not see reason for camo on bottom of nose, if you look on other camoufalged Hector it is not happening, for example here

pc72-100-182LG.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

In discussion about the detail of painting scheme of ZR-X. There is a photo in splendid A. Crawford's Mushroom publisher book on Hart family -on page 99, depicting ZR-X - below is enlarged nose part of this machine from this photo:

hetctor%20photo%20DSC05917kadr_zps5by4p3For me it shows the light colour (white or aluminium, I guest) at the nose of ZR-X. I modified this in model:

hector%20DSC05931_zpsphlvzkes.jpghector%20DSC05932_zpsoz9mn0rh.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• 4 years later...
On 12/29/2015 at 11:31 AM, JWM said:

Indeed - this was a question. Even there was a thread on this:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39182-amodel-hawker-hector-colour-question/?hl=hector.

Therfore in first post the painting of undrsurface was named "my interpretation" - with fuselage and stabizers left in Aluminum dope, and only wings black/white. The A-model instruction suggests DG/DE bottom of nose and white bottom of whole remaining fuselage and stabilizers. I do not see reason for camo on bottom of nose, if you look on other camoufalged Hector it is not happening, for example here

pc72-100-182LG.jpg

Cheers

J-W

Is it just me or are there 3 colors on the upper wing?

And does this photo show the LE/LG lower wing?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tweener said:

Is it just me or are there 3 colors on the upper wing?

And does this photo show the LE/LG lower wing?

For me on upper wing there are two colors, the most right part of wing on photo (so left if you are on pilot position) is more bright due to a small curvature near the wingtip. 

The lower wings looks much brighter then the upper one, at least for me :)

Regards

J-W