1/32nd scale Gloster Meteor F.8

I've just finished converting HK Models' Meteor F.4 to the F.8 version using the Fisher Conversion set.

This involved removing the F.4 nose section just forward of the wing and fitting a new resin nose, chopping the tail section off and grafting on a new resin rear end, the forward sections of the intakes were also removed and resin replacements added. A fully detailed cockpit interior including ejection seat was also supplied in the kit, and I also installed a G-Factor brass undercarriage set due the extra weight with Brassin resin wheels. Decals came with the Fisher set, and I used Xtracolour enamels to paint the model.

I've completed this as a 63sqn aircraft from RAF Waterbeech in 1956.

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

The conversion parts mated to the HK donor kit very well indeed, as long you followed the guidance to the letter. Some small amounts of filler were all that was needed to blend the resin conversion parts to the airframe.

Fisher have just released a T.7 conversion so I'm hoping to complete that in the not-too-distant future.

Rob

• Like 14

Hi

A very excellent build this one! I very much like the fine details and the mating of the resin parts to the HK parts are second to none.

If I may I would like to suggest a light wash of the panel lines to break up the finish, but it is always a personal taste.

Best regards

Flemming

Hello and Merry Christmas,Rob - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Meteor'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and she is a resplendent tribute to the type.I also compliment you on her clean 'classical' appearance.All the best,Paul.

Hi

A very excellent build this one! I very much like the fine details and the mating of the resin parts to the HK parts are second to none.

If I may I would like to suggest a light wash of the panel lines to break up the finish, but it is always a personal taste.

Best regards

Flemming

Many thanks, Flemming. Regarding a panel line wash - personally I can't stand them! When researching Meteor F.8s for this build, I looked at many pictures of the real thing and although there may have been some patchy paint here or there, you certainly cannot see the panel lines. I like my models to have a reasonable resemblance of the real thing, rather than looking like a computer-generated caricature of the actual aircraft. But as you say, each to their own.

Really nice

About to follow in your footsteps so glad to hear it mated up well

I think you were wise to use G Factor legs

Any other tips from a trail blazer?

As long as you follow the instructions given by Fisher, it goes together without problems. The only slightly more tricky part was inserting Hk's kit-supplied nose weight into the new Fisher nose section - it's a very snug fit! I must say I didn't find the HK kit itself to be a particularly good fit though which was a bit of a surprise - the fuselage to wing root join was rather poor.

Rob

• Like 3

Lovely work, Hopefully see this at Southern Expo? :) I agree with Rob on the panel line wash too, I'm not a massive fan myself (especially when black is used..) but I do use it in small doses in certain places (around engines, main doors..) as I prefer the look without and this kit IMO looks just right.

That's a lovely looking Meteor Rob, many compliments.

I've just completed the HK Meteor too, I kept mine as an F4 but also used the G Force undercarriage plus Brassin wheels and Fisher long chord intakes. I applied a panel wash since I wanted to achieve this type of finish:

IMG_0904_zps2ayiay0d.jpg

Regarding the T7, Paul Fisher is taking pre-orders (mine's already in) with an expected release date of early February or even sooner.

Max

• Like 1