Poor Old Gal - Monogram 1/48 F-102A Delta Dagger

Ghostbase

She is a poor faded old gal, an original Monogram 1/48th F-102A Delta Dagger with the Case XX wing and I put her together in the early 90's using the kit decals and painted using one of those Humbrol small spray cans which were popular back then, was supposed to be FS36473 'ADC Grey' but I suspect was something quite different. Whatever, the sum of the parts was good and she has been on display in my cabinet until recently however with seven new builds this year I need the space and she has been ousted and is now poised on the edge of the 'shelf of shame'. So what to do?

Well, I could bin her, however the original Monogram kit fitted well and all she needs is a little filler. The decals are shot but being Monogram they refuse to peel off. I think I did good work with the complex armaments bay and thanks to the brittle poly cement that I used all the parts have fallen out without too much persuasion. My plan is to attack her with Fairy Power Spray and lots of sanding paper and see what she looks like after that. I do have decals for other Delta Daggers, or I could complete her as a PQM-102A drone, or even as stored in AMARC back in the late 80's.

I want to get this done quickly and the end of January deadline of this group build suits me perfectly, I want to start a big project after this.

On to the photos

Michael

IMGP9942size_zpszevcwcj4.jpg

IMGP9944size_zpsvdthoxdt.jpg

IMGP9945size_zpsbjs9q4az.jpg

• Like 2

Going well today, have applied liberal quantities of Fairy Power Spray and brushing with an old toothbrush has easily removed the old decals and seems to have acted like T-Cut on the original paint! I am pretty sure that I sprayed this kit with the old Humbrol 64 Light Grey from a small aerosol back in the early 90's, I know I had quite a few of them, and it is proving very tough to remove. Going to have to think how to do this, do I leave the original paint and over spray with Halfords Primer, or do I apply a second coating of Power Spray? Of course, if I was very keen I could try scribing some panel lines! The tricky bit is keeping areas such as the missile bay and the undercarriage bays in the original paint, they don't need refreshing. This is where I am:

IMGP9954size_zpsat8pzxzw.jpg

Michael

The project continues to go well. Spend this morning with medium and fine sandpaper taking off the few remnants of the original decals as well as smoothing out any old cement joins and removing silver and gunmetal paint from the air intakes and the jet exhaust areas. Then masked the cockpit tub, the wheel wells and the weapon bay and applied a layer of Halfords grey primer and very pleased with the results:

IMGP9957size_zpsxprirvwx.jpg

Almost perfect! Really pleased with the finish and I can see where I need to add the filler that I should have used in the original build way back when in the 90's!

Same with the underside, definitely have something to work with here:

IMGP9958size_zpsozajm3ed.jpg

Getting close to making a decision on how to refresh this old 'Deuce', to go for ADC grey or the more complex S.E. Asia camouflage scheme. Must look in the decals tin and see what I have hidden away.

I have sorted out all the parts removed from the original build and many are good to be cemented back on with little work needed apart from a coat of paint.. Also need to make a decision regards the weapons bay, do I close it up or do I try to reconstruct it with missiles taken from a Hasegawa Weapons Set?

IMGP9956size_zpswnnrhroo.jpg

Michael

Moving on today, want to get this finished before I lose interest! Have taken a look at the parts of the missile bay, rebuilt one of the 'open' missile launching arms and have reattached the Falcon missiles. I didn't paint them too badly so use them again.

IMGP9959size_zpslsfbh70v.jpg

Been thinking more what to do, if I go for a S.E.Asia camouflaged version I know I will lose interest. I have this Monogram kit from 2002 in the stash so I am going to use the specific decals for the 496th FIS Commander's aircraft based at Hahn in FRG in 1961. All I need to do is paint the tail fin yellow in addition to ADC grey for the rest of the aircraft. Interestingly the radome is marked as FS30277 sand. I also have a set of very old Superscale F-102 'Complete Stencil Data' for two aircraft so I am going to use this as well. Michael

IMGP9960size_zpszw1yf05f.jpg

IMGP9961size_zpsppsuss1f.jpg

You do realise this wrecks the whole business model for the entire kit making industry. You are meant to buy copius new kits that you will never make!

(I have done the same myself but the completed models and unmade kits keep proliferating!)

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

• Like 1

You do realise this wrecks the whole business model for the entire kit making industry. You are meant to buy copius new kits that you will never make!

(I have done the same myself but the completed models and unmade kits keep proliferating!)

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Funny you should say that, I have three of the 1/48th F-102A Delta Dagger kits in the stash as well as two of the more recent 1/72nd Meng kits so I am keeping the faith ;)

Problem is that I have two display cases which now have no free space. I did make several models back in the early to mid 90's and they have not always worn too well and are having to give way to make space for my current builds. Just seems such a shame to bin them hence the effort. And I do have a soft spot for Convair's big deltas.

Michael

Storage is always a problem.

My dear departed dad built an 10 foot by 10 foot room on the back of his garage as a model room with shelving floor to ceiling on 3 walls.

My "study/model room.library/computer room" is our 4th bedroom - about 10 foot by 6 1/2 feet. Half of one wall is shelved and has on it (as of now) about 70 1/72 Phantoms, 11 WW2 single engine fighters, a 1/72 Beaufighter,14 assorted RAF jets (1/72) and an F-4, Bucc, Beaufighter, F-84 and Skyraider all in 1/48

I have also shelved part of the loft - 2x1 screwed in 3 layers to the a-frames and then hardboard as shelves. I have lost count of what is in the loft gradually degrading - trying keep the good stuff in decent condition by using plastic lidded boxes. But then it's a hobby that has kept me out of the pub(not) for 50 years or so. The oldest model I still have is a Kittyhawk which Father Christmas brought me when I was 6

Edited by iainpeden
  • Like 1