Harrier AV-8A - all done 22/04

specky

Blimey - The sprues look identical to my GR.3 kit. I think you just use the 'other' nose and tail pieces. Both sets are in there!

You're right there - Airfix like to get the most out of their sprues! - which caught me out actually. I made a start last night, but went to bed after a couple of hours when I realised I had spent ages doing a lovely job of assembling and painting the WRONG seat :banghead:

The only things this kit is missing for a GR.3 is the extended air brake & 'dolphin' nose (I'm sure that's what it used to be called)

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

At least you have a seat ready for you GR.1/3 kit when you get it ;)

I'd like to think that it was my sub-conscious nudging me in that direction - but in truth I just started building the first seat I stumbled across on the sprue!

But since the Lightning in the markings I had in mind for build #2 has been snagged by someone else, I may well wheel out a GR.3 in its place

• Like 2

Hi Craig!

Great choice! I already have a few new toll Airfix Harriers and this one is in my wish list. I'll be following with great interest!

I wish you luck with your build :)

Cheers

Jaime

You're right there - Airfix like to get the most out of their sprues! - which caught me out actually. I made a start last night, but went to bed after a couple of hours when I realised I had spent ages doing a lovely job of assembling and painting the WRONG seat :banghead:

The only things this kit is missing for a GR.3 is the extended air brake & 'dolphin' nose (I'm sure that's what it used to be called)

Cheers

Craig

Maybe all is not lost! If you're doing the USMC version, it was originally fitted with the Martin Baker Mk.9 seat. See this image here for confirmation.

Regards,

Mark.

Maybe all is not lost! If you're doing the USMC version, it was originally fitted with the Martin Baker Mk.9 seat. See this image here for confirmation.

Regards,

Mark.

Strangely enough, that aircraft is the AV-8 decal option in the kit & the shape of the 'head box' (?) does seem to more closely match the Martin-Baker GR.1 seat !

Thanks for bring that to my attention Mark and I may now go back to my original seat

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Despite being pretty much bang on schedule with this build, there is no escaping the fact that persevering with enamels for interior bits and pieces is enormously time consuming, since they take so long to dry. Whilst I have absolutely no confidence in the durability of acrylics, certainly the only ones I can get locally, for the exterior finish, for interior stuff, which will never get touched, the quick drying characteristics are becoming impossible to ignore - maybe next time!

Anyway, less of the idle musings and back to the matter at hand. After a comparatively slow start - slow drying enamels! - this is where I find myself this evening....

001_zps3bbkhcvd.jpg

002_zps6czwfgew.jpg

003_zpsg5iv8uld.jpg

004_zpsupjuq4xu.jpg

....strangely, the pin-wash looks awful in these photos, yet in the flesh, its fine - honest! Maybe the lighting or maybe the angle of the shots - who knows!

A little bit of pre-painting on the air intake area tomorrow, close-up on Wednesday & first colour on before the weekend

Cheers for now

Craig

• Like 2

Looking good Craig!

Re. the acrylics, since I came back into the hobby a couple of years ago, have predominantly used acrylics (I don't think I've used enamels since I was a kid - approx. 35 years ago).

Durability has not been a problem to date and drying time is obviously far quicker. Not sure how others feel but I'd thorough recommend them, particularly as they are always sealed with a varnish coating on one sort or another :)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Nice progress so far. I also only use acrylics (mainly Gunze and some Tamiya) and I haven't had any durability problems but my older finished models, since I returned to the hobby, are 1 year and 3 months old.

Cheers

Jaime

Nice progress so far. I also only use acrylics (mainly Gunze and some Tamiya) and I haven't had any durability problems but my older finished models, since I returned to the hobby, are 1 year and 3 months old.

Cheers

Jaime

Looking good Craig!

Re. the acrylics, since I came back into the hobby a couple of years ago, have predominantly used acrylics (I don't think I've used enamels since I was a kid - approx. 35 years ago).

Durability has not been a problem to date and drying time is obviously far quicker. Not sure how others feel but I'd thorough recommend them, particularly as they are always sealed with a varnish coating on one sort or another :)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys,

the only acrylics I can get locally are Humbrol and although I have experimented extensively with them - hairy stick and airbrush using water, windscreen washer fluid and Tamiya thinner and thoroughly de greasing the plastic first, they rub off or flake off far too easily - overall far, far more 'fragile' than enamels applied over exactly the same plastic.

Although you guys use different paints, do you prime the plastic first? - it occurs to me that that is just about the only variable that I have not tried

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig, I do use primer but not always. It tends to be when I'm covering large areas. I've not used Humbrol so can't comment personally but there are many on the forum who do with outstanding results. There are many shops online that will package and ship paint for just a few quid. It's worth a look as you may find a brand you get on with :)

Hi Guys

The more I study the paint guide for the USMC machine, the more it makes me 'sweat'...

003_zpsdnqqhtbf.jpg

....the 'wrap-around' over the leading edges of the wings and tailplanes and the step down at the air intakes are just two of the scary features of a deceptively complicated scheme. I shouldn't be at all surprised that this explains why you don't see too many GR.1's or AV-8A's in RFI!

But, I'm committed now. The 'short' tail and 'pointy' nose are on, so its too late to switch to a GR.3 - but I have a plan!

At the end of the last update, I had a small pile of bits & pieces ready to assemble, so off I went!. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about these kits. Granted, they are a little short on detail, especially in the cockpit, but the overall fit really is first class. No gaps or steps around the fuselage joint, both the two piece nose and tail radar housing parts fitted perfectly, the tail 'clicks' into place and the real bonus is the wing assembly - almost an 'interference' fit , which means I can mask and paint fuselage, wings and tailplanes separately and bring it all together at the end - result!

002_zpswljrs1mj.jpg

001_zpsklk49fsj.jpg

Aiming to get the first colour on this over the weekend and then its masking!

Cheers for now

Craig

• Like 2

Looks good Craig :thumbsup: my pitot snapped off mine during the painting phase and took over an hour of crawling under my desk to find :whistle:

Immediately after taking those photos, I knocked mine off! :oops: , but now I've drilled out the nose to fit a length of needle at the end of the build.

Never mind, I'd rather it happened now than after paint!!

• Like 1

Looks excellent from this side of the net, Craig! I really have to add one of these to the stash!

Cheers

Jaime

Don't just add it to the stash - build it!

So far one of the nicest Airfix kits I've built in years

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

Immediately after taking those photos, I knocked mine off! :oops: , but now I've drilled out the nose to fit a length of needle at the end of the build.

Sods law :winkgrin: I have built 3 of these AV-8A/GR1 kits they are fantastic, looking forward to seeing yours with paint on :)

The build is coming along lovely Craig. :)