Advice needed for scratchbuilding refuelling probes

raptormodeller

For my post x-mas build I'm planning a YF-23 ground attack variant in RAF colours. Since my spares box is almost empty I'm going to be making various probes out of bits of sprue. Any suggestions on what to do and what not to do? Thanks!

chomp chomp

-raptor

End of a biro for a start.

Thanks. Isn't the plastic in a biro brittle though? That might take some careful sanding.

Edited by raptormodeller

telescoping metal tubing,

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=26196

Albion Alloys brass tube is supplied in 12 in lengths and with varying quantities dependant on diameter. All tubes slide fit inside the next size up (telescope). All sizes listed are outside diameters.

great for pitots,gun barrels, UC legs etc, and perhaps for refuelling probes. I'm not sure what you are trying to replicate, (hint - post an image) but maybe of use.

Available in brass and aluminum.

Iff you want plastic, Evergreen only do one mixed pack, but its a tube and rod selection, this is a decent price post paid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evergreen-Strip-Styrene-217-Rod-Tube-Assortment-/131681789778

7 pieces,and these also telescope.

HTH

T

• 3 weeks later...

If it were me, I'd put a section of sprue in a dremel tool to put a taper on the end, then make the very tip of the probe either out of one section of sprue wrapped in bits of aluminum tape, or I'd combine some thin slices of sprue of different diameters.

To bend sprue, I generally find that gently heating over a candle then a gentle bending works well.

Can't say specifically because I don't know the exact type of probe you're going for

Cheers,

K

Edited by kwaterous