Avis catalog 2016 - programme - update

Homebee

• 1 month later...

Woohoo! Props to Avis for planning all those Russian types! I'm especially interested in the AIR-7 and the IP-1 - I just hope kits of these obscure aircraft sell well, and Avis are encouraged to do more, including conventional types like the I-16 type 5 and 10, Yak-9D, and Yak-1b.

Did the MiG-8 "Utka" (Duck) fly? Yes it did, and apparently quite well. With reference to Bill Gunston's Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft 1875 - 1995, the aircraft was designed by technical students and built with the support of the MiG design bureau (OKB). First flight was on November 19, 1945. Few problems were encountered, but the students continued to modify the design by enlarging the underfin and deleting the wing slats. In its final form, it displayed outstanding stability and refusal to spin. Afterwards, the aircraft was used as a MiG OKB hack for many years, according to Gunston.

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for the answer John Thompson. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it before which is a bit surprising but there you go,Something new every day!

A 1/72 Optica in injection form?! Oh Hell yeah!! :thumbsup:

I've had the Sharkit resin rendition of the Optica prototype staring at me from the shelf for a few years and I've been too nervous to try getting a start on it.

Hopefully Avis will give us a production standard version.

• Like 1