1/72 - Boeing F/A-18E & F Super Hornet & E/A-18G Growler by Academy - released

Homebee

• 6 months later...

Unlike their previous Legacy Hornets this time they seems to get main landing gear struts right. Intake lips are a bit squared but sure easily rectified.

A bit OT but since I've got a legacy Hornet in the stash, but haven't had a close look at it could you tell me the problem (or point me in the direction of something) with the main gear struts?

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I did have spare Italeri legs, but used them on a Hasegawa kit years ago! Maybe I'll did out the hasegawa legs!

Edited by Tbolt

Thanks for posting these.

What is that lawn dart-looking thingy above the AIM-9X's..?

Cheers,

Andre

Looks to be the front end of an AIM-120C. Just add the stick on its right and the fins on the left and you will get the whole missile.

Mark

• Like 1

Looks to be the front end of an AIM-120C. Just add the stick on its right and the fins on the left and you will get the whole missile.

By Jove, you're right! Thanks, it never occurred to me that anyone would ever mold an AMRAAM this way.

Cheers,

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a display kit two days ago at the MRC table at the US IPMS Nationals -- looks really great. When I asked the disinterested "Representative" when it would be released, he casually replied, "It's already out". Excited, I started looking online to buy one, but cannot find any. Does anyone have a source ... or is the "Representative" misinformed?

Gene K

kits looks very nice, i have just built the revell 72nd kit and it was a bit of a chore, just the dreaded impervious to anything "printed in korea" decals that put me off , Please academy double your kit sales tommorow, put decent decals in your kits .

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I posted the following to ARC and the 72ndscaleUSmilair@yahoo group:

ACD00012535_0_l.jpg

I saw the sprues of the new Academy Super Hornet at the US IPMS Nationals last month, but was unable to find it for sale ... until two days ago when I saw it listed on Scale Hobbyist:

So I paid for Priority shipping ($10.50) and got it today!!!!! (I use Scale Hobbyist regularly, and this outstanding service is typical. They also seem to have new kits the earliest of the US on-line shops).

As for the kit, it's a snap type, and like the recent Academy Snap Phantom, the detail is outstanding. Unlike the recent (very nice) Academy F-16 Snap ,this one has full landing gear, full intake, and a comprehensive decal sheet (VF-84 and VFA-103), among other things.

Academy%20F_A-18F%20Decals%20and%20Stick The yellow backed sheet provides stickers.

I was amazed at the fit on the snap F-16, and it's just as good on the F/A-18F. Virtually no seams to fill.

The only Cons to me are: the huge mounting holes on the wing bottoms for the pylons; and the One-Piece-Only canopy (but an easy cut). When I do my Blue Angels Super Hornet, those mounting holes will be filled with the nubs I cut off from the pylons.

I have not checked "accuracy".

Gene K

(and since we all have to "experiment" with pieces from the spare parts bin, the Hasegawa E Model canopy is a near perfect kit ... however, note that the Academy kit includes the fuselage piece to blank off the second cockpit, meaning a snap E model is coming).

Academy%20E%20Model%20Parts%20Copy.jpg

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 4

So, has anyone found one yet for sale?

Gene K

Last week i asked local Academy disributor and boxes are already on way loaded on container ship to EU. Now must wait for some weeks for way to local shops. I will not order from eBay. When i ordered T-50 directly from Korea it was my mistake. It arrieved only weeks before local shops and was more expensive. Price of the Apache and Phantom are almost same.

Now i will happy to support local shops and not donate post service.

I posted this when someone at ARC asked about the intakes:

full intake trunking?It didn't look full from Academy preview
My mistake - you're absolutely right! :doh:/>/>
Academy%20Intakes.jpg
Gene K
Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1