Sherman 'Fury'

Badder

So today I bought my youngest son (19yr old) Revell's 1/35th Sherman 'Fury' - As in the film 'Fury' with Brad Pitt, you know, the one with the ultra-silly ending.

We had our Christmas day today, and I couldn't wait to see inside the box. I have to say the kit looks absolutely stunning, being a brand spanking new mold and all. I think I may buy one myself in the not-too-distant future.

In the meantime, my son is no expert at modelling, so I'm not expecting great things... (although I'm willing to be surprised) so if ANYONE is thinking of doing a WIP for one, can you please make sure that you add the 'Fury' in the topic tag?

Thanks! Badder

• Like 1

Revell make brand new Sherman Fury ? I know about new tool Sherman "Fury" from Italeri and Tamiya (but Tamiya is labeled as M4E8 "European Theater".... Italeri is labeled as Fury and new Tamiya isn´t re-boxed Asuka(Tasca) as year ago, but it is brand new kit. Can you give here a boxart from Revell please ? Thank you.

Shoulda' watched HBO's "The Pacific" instead and bought Dragon's 1/35 Tarawa M4A2. Mine turned up a couple of days ago. Read the expert (as acknowledged by moi) reviews before clicking buy now. Drop dead gorgeous piece of kit, and I am not an Americophile. Damned nice mould and an accurate early Sherman -caveat, with the kit's only real very minor flaw that of its forward sprocket drive casing hidden behind the sprocket and track being a tad displaced from the hull position reference books suggest it should be. There is argument about a weld seam line which I regard as pedantically extreme to arguably moot given undocumented mass production changes IRL and origin.

OK, granted "The Pacific" follows the action of 1st Marines at Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Pelelui, Iwo and Okinawa, but not 2nd marines at Tarawa. However the allegory is self evident.

"Fury" well I can't say I didn't enjoy some of the scenes despite the expected victor's narrative, bias and nonsense, but for me, complete detachment from anything remotely resembling reality mutated into Commando Comic book fiction moments within the Lone Ranger without Tonto solo gallop on to the 'hold the crossroads fort against the injuns' scene BS. After "Fury" ran over the mine at the crossroads, the rest may as well have just been edited out and substituted with a written on screen narrative displayed for the 30 seconds required for slow readers.

Insofar as movie merchandising goes though it certainly seems to be working well for plastic kit manufacturers prepared to pay copyrighting on the associative name/franchise (?) "Fury".

Just a heads up for anyone reading this and considering buying "Fury" inspired by the film. If you want a Sherman, watch HBO's "The Pacific" and get reinspired without paying a premium for a name on a box, but for a first class slide moulded model instead in Dragon's M4A2.

• Like 2

Revell make brand new Sherman Fury ? I know about new tool Sherman "Fury" from Italeri and Tamiya (but Tamiya is labeled as M4E8 "European Theater".... Italeri is labeled as Fury and new Tamiya isn´t re-boxed Asuka(Tasca) as year ago, but it is brand new kit. Can you give here a boxart from Revell please ? Thank you.

Sorry, you are correct and I am wrong. It is Italeri's. my mistake. Please don't hate me.

Shoulda' watched HBO's "The Pacific" instead and bought Dragon's 1/35 Tarawa M4A2. Mine turned up a couple of days ago. Read the expert (as acknowledged by moi) reviews before clicking buy now. Drop dead gorgeous piece of kit, and I am not an Americophile. Damned nice mould and an accurate early Sherman -caveat, with the kit's only real very minor flaw that of its forward sprocket drive casing hidden behind the sprocket and track being a tad displaced from the hull position reference books suggest it should be. There is argument about a weld seam line which I regard as pedantically extreme to arguably moot given undocumented mass production changes IRL and origin.

OK, granted "The Pacific" follows the action of 1st Marines at Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Pelelui, Iwo and Okinawa, but not 2nd marines at Tarawa. However the allegory is self evident.

"Fury" well I can't say I didn't enjoy some of the scenes despite the expected victor's narrative, bias and nonsense, but for me, complete detachment from anything remotely resembling reality mutated into Commando Comic book fiction moments within the Lone Ranger without Tonto solo gallop on to the 'hold the crossroads fort against the injuns' scene BS. After "Fury" ran over the mine at the crossroads, the rest may as well have just been edited out and substituted with a written on screen narrative displayed for the 30 seconds required for slow readers.

Insofar as movie merchandising goes though it certainly seems to be working well for plastic kit manufacturers prepared to pay copyrighting on the associative name/franchise (?) "Fury".

Just a heads up for anyone reading this and considering buying "Fury" inspired by the film. If you want a Sherman, watch HBO's "The Pacific" and get reinspired without paying a premium for a name on a box, but for a first class slide moulded model instead in Dragon's M4A2

Haha.... Spot on.

I note with some amusement, that 'Brad' liked this post.

And while 'Pacific' is indeed a good watch (once it gets going) it was never going to beat 'Band of Brothers.'

• Like 2

Hi Badder,

Both are good. They just deal with perspective differently. "The Pacific" was never meant to be another "Band of Brothers".

Have you watched the BD extras on "The Pacific" where Hanks and Spielberg expand upon that and why they did it that way?

Watching "The Pacific" is a inarguably an anti-climax if expecting a clone of "Band of Brothers" in much the same was as those going to see Clint Eastwoods' outstanding "Letters from Iwo Jima" expecting to see an action film were bound to be disappointed in their expectation.

I think most of us did expect "The Pacific" to be more of the same due to the pre-release hype. Once I got past that, personally, I really liked "The Pacific". Very much, and am glad they chose to take the different approach they did. But I also enjoyed BoB too.

My primary interest is the Eastern Front, but I confess to holding in great admiration the US Marine Corps and the landings they participated in in the Pacific. I sure as hell wouldn't like to take a ride in either an LCVP or LVP into any of those places facing an enemy as resolute as the Japanese. I've had the opportunity to visit Tarawa, Guadalcanal -landed at Henderson Field, been to Alligator Creek and flown over the mountains there as well as Savo Is and Ironbottom sound. Also been to Majuro, Kwajalein, and Rabaul. Been to Guam, but just a flying visit. I would really like to see Iwo first hand before I die. My step-brother's father (US Marine, don't know which division or landing wave) was severely wounded there. They're all fascinating in their own right, but Iwo holds more of a fascination for me than even Kokoda where my uncle fought and his brother died. I think it was just the enormity of the engagement in terms of a bloodbath and the moon like topography they were fighting in all surveilled by the dominating feature of Mt Suribachi. I know I can see it in a gazillon photos and pieces of film, but for me there's something truly spiritual about standing on sacrosanct ground that you can 'feel' for wont of a more articulate description. And nothing quite beats surveilling the terrain for yourself. When you see places like Tarawa and Majuro, how narrow they are for much of their length and imagine as you stand there what it must have been like fighting on a strip of sand!

I bought Dragon's Gen 2 Pelelui Marines to go with the M4A2. Should present the goods for a plausible diorama.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I think The Pacific is excellent. Some of the action scenes are stunning, and all are thought provoking. I really did feel the horror and the madness of war, and felt for those who lived it for real. It, like Band of Brothers, is a fine tribute to those who fought and died, and those who survived but suffered hell, during and after and in some cases, for a lifetime. But that was 75 years ago.

Personally, this is why I stick to WWII AFVs as subjects.

Enough time has passed now for models to be models for modelling's sake. A model of an Abrams or Challenger set in a middle eastern diorama, would, to me, be too provocative, raising emotions on all sides.

• Like 1

Because of my own age incurring the knowing of and still remembered (then) living direct familial ties and neighbours from both wars impacting upon me heavily due to my particular to the point of almost unusual fascination from an early age, WWII and The Great War both resonate with me, but the distance of time since has invited all but one absurdly exacerbated provocation to fade into the shadow of obscurity.

I concur wholly with your last sentence generally. And, I almost succeeded.

Mea culpa. An 50% off opportunity buy presenting, curiosity aroused I recently bought HobbyBoss' 1/48 Rafale M, but it might just have likely been an Su-34. More to do with a lifetime spent in aviation and fascination of subject than anything more partisan than that.

All the best to your son, and with his Revell "Fury" build.

• Like 1

Because of my own age incurring the knowing of and still remembered (then) living direct familial ties and neighbours from both wars impacting upon me heavily due to my particular to the point of almost unusual fascination from an early age, WWII and The Great War both resonate with me, but the distance of time since has invited all but one absurdly exacerbated provocation to fade into the shadow of obscurity.

I concur wholly with your last sentence generally. And, I almost succeeded.

Mea culpa. An 50% off opportunity buy presenting, curiosity aroused I recently bought HobbyBoss' 1/48 Rafale M, but it might just have likely been an Su-34. More to do with a lifetime spent in aviation and fascination of subject than anything more partisan than that.

All the best to your son, and with his Revell "Fury" build.

Pleasure chatting with you. Happy new year.

P.s. As for my son's Revell Fury, it has been pointed out to me that I am mistaken, and it's an Italeri! lol

Still not seen 'Fury' apparently it's very.....Hollywood. :confused:

Look forward to seeing what you get up to with the new kit.....I'm guessing its an M4A3E8 ('Fury' actually isn't, but it's supposed to be one. :nerd: ) with decals appropriate to the movie? :shrug:

Look forward to seeing what you get up to with the new kit.....I'm guessing its an M4A3E8 ('Fury' actually isn't, but it's supposed to be one. :nerd: ) with decals appropriate to the movie? :shrug:

I'm not making the kit, my son is, and he lives with my ex-wife so I can't follow his progress or help him. If he posts pics on FB one day I will show them here.

As for the film, it's good/great in places, not so good in others and very, very, very, stupid in one set-piece... and I have no knowledge of what tank or what kit is supposed to be what and vice versa. lol.

Still deserves a watch, I agree some parts are Hollywood mainly towards the end but still a really good film with some great performances.

Just a heads up for anyone reading this and considering buying "Fury" inspired by the film. If you want a Sherman, watch HBO's "The Pacific" and get reinspired without paying a premium for a name on a box, but for a first class slide moulded model instead in Dragon's M4A2.

Totally agree with that, going solo against a tiger, stupidity no commander would, formation was cinematic but wrong. Lastly when they went over the mine they would have radioed the tanks out of action an destroyed it. Last gripe, an ss regiment would have had no problem driving off the side of the road an taking it out from range.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...