Airfix Shackleton as an AEW2

Very nice! Glad you jumped in and went for it! Do you have any photos from the build?

Many thanks, and no I didn't document this build I'm afraid. I can assure you the interior is all in there - not that you can see a huge amount but the open doors and hatches do allow a little to be seen.

Tom

• Like 1

Lovely build. I've run into the same issues with my own kit and it's really disappointing. The fit of the engine nacelles and nose transparancies is awful and I've got so annoyed with mine that I've set it aside to maybe be finished in the future if I can be bothered. I think for the AEW I'll get the Revell kit.

• Like 1

Lovely build. I've run into the same issues with my own kit and it's really disappointing. The fit of the engine nacelles and nose transparancies is awful and I've got so annoyed with mine that I've set it aside to maybe be finished in the future if I can be bothered. I think for the AEW I'll get the Revell kit.

That does look lovely and concur about the donor kit - having a right old battle with mine in all the same areas

Merry Christmas

SD

Glad it wasn't just me then!

It's interesting how some report no problems at all and for others it's a nightmare. There's a chap at my club who's reported the same problems so I was quietly confident it wasn't just me being incompetent and making a mess of it...

Edited by tomprobert

I've heard that a lot of these newAirfix kits due to CAD design and engineering have extremely fine tolerances, to the extant that paint can make a difference. And you make a slight mishap on alignment as w ell and you are on a road to disaster!

It is a shame that Airfix are producing kits that modellers and well detailed but are proving problematic to build. So that proves that despite improvements they still aren't in the league of Tamiya etc.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Like 1

I've heard that a lot of these newAirfix kits due to CAD design and engineering have extremely fine tolerances, to the extant that paint can make a difference. And you make a slight mishap on alignment as w ell and you are on a road to disaster!

It is a shame that Airfix are producing kits that modellers and well detailed but are proving problematic to build. So that proves that despite improvements they still aren't in the league of Tamiya etc.

Merry Christmas everyone.

That does make sense. I had similar issues when building the 1/48th Merlin. I cleaned up all the parts extra carefully and that seemed to alleviate a lot of the problems. Doing the same with this didn't seem to solve the fit issues though. It's a shame as when completed it makes a lovely model, it was just a battle to get there.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your kit, Tom, but your Shack turned out beautifully! So you'll backdate the Revell kit to an early, turreted MR.2 now?

Regards,

Jason

May well do, Jason. There's nothing like doing things ar*e about face!

• Like 1

Great job, you certainly beat me to it Tom, although thats not difficult as I am a slow builder anyway, someone at my club has given me the Radom, I'll probably not bother with the interior or having the bomb bay open

Anyway happy Christmas to you and your family and say hi to your dad

• Like 1