1/48 Hawker Sea Fury, AMG

dora

Well I have a HC kit in the stash complete with Cooper details cockpit and aftermarket U/C. When I get a bit of spare time I'll look at them both side to side. I did have a Trumpeter kit and I recall the rivets being quite deep and certainly regular. On the AMG kit, some of the ( very fine) rivets are not absolutely straight, as if they have been created by a ponce wheel or riveting tool. The Exhaust fairings as definitely smother and shallower than the Trumpeter one ( at least as far as I can tell from sprue shots of the Trumpeter kit). I think this is not a straight copy. Agree the cockpit opening is awful. I think this could be corrected using the insert for the 2 seater. Have to compare the gear doors with those from the HC kit. Not hard to replace with card, but shouldn't be necessary on a new kit.

If you have the cooper goodies all you'll need is a new canopy and you'll be right.

Gear doors are pants in both kits but the Trumpeter ones are more pants, tartan golfing pants in fact.

got the canopy too ( Aerolub ). I did look this morning and the wings are an exact match in planform to the HC kit, including the location and size of the cannon blisters. The AMG wings mate pretty much perfectly to the HC fuselage too. Gear bays are also the same shape and position. The AMG fuselage is a bit less humped in front of the windscreen position and also has a more pronounced bulge" behind the exhaust outlets ( but I think less than the Trumpeter kit had), and it has the scalloped cut out as per Trumpeter. I do like the HC kit and have already built one in Iraqi colours using the Cooper stuff, but the wing has those horrible soft wide trenches. If they were as per the fuselage it would be a lot better.

As per my post - and I think the comparison of the two fuselages captures well why modellers here cannot understand why the AMG kit has that huge scalloped cockpit opening, when the years old Hobbycraft mould has it about right, as does the front section of the insert for your 2 seater.

Just came across this again and the opening in the fuselage halfs is closed by a part on the "F" tree which is visible in an early post from AMG - and in the pictures now shown in Doras mail #81. I do not have the Trumpeter kit but from my understanding there was no such "plug" for this area.

Dora - how about sending a kit to someone for Britmodeller for a comprehensive review?

René

Yes it is, nut the insert shown for the single seater sits below the line of the fuselage and the cockpit sills right and left are still curved. On the 2 seater ( which I have in front of me) the cockpit insert has straight sills and the squared off rear following exactly the line of the upper fuselage. Unfortunately, should I use this part and cut out the shape of the insert but shorten it front to back to try to get an accurate single seater from the 2 seat kit, I will still have to fill part of the void in that part for the rear cockpit. The amount to cut out for the insert insert to fix the shape from front to back of the front cockpit aperture is 28mm. The 2 seater insert has the second cockpit beginning 25mm back, so there is a 3 mm void to fill. Probably doable if plugged from beneath with card and then filled with milliput or similar. Open the canopy and that would hide most of any remedial work.

I was of the understanding that the Hobbycraft kit was slightly underscale. I'll admit to not having measured it or checked references, but I'm sure I read that somewhere (even if that is an issue, it still seems like the pick of the bunch. Sadly.)

I was of the understanding that the Hobbycraft kit was slightly underscale. I'll admit to not having measured it or checked references, but I'm sure I read that somewhere (even if that is an issue, it still seems like the pick of the bunch. Sadly.)

if so then the Falcon vac is as well.....

discussion of existing kits here, including a comparison of Falcon vac vs Hobbycraft here.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69728-hawker-sea-fury/page-3

while the Hobbycraft (or Falcon vac) may well be more accurate, the HC is OOP, and most of the detail sets are OOP (eg Cooper) , or, in the case of the Flightpath set (see link for details) great for a one-off superdetail and even then you need to get wheel wells and wheels on top, meaning you won't get much change out of fifty quid

I don't have the AMG kit, it looks to be a good starting point for a bells and whistles kit, with the PE, resin, 2 seat versions and interesting decals, it may even be as cheap as a "aftermarket" set for the older kits.

What would be of interest is to see how difficult it would be to correct the AMG kits problems.

I'll have a go if AMG fancy sending me one ;) I already have the others to compare to.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Troy, I have a HC kit AND a Cooper Details set... it's all on the 'one day' pile. Made up, it's quite a lovely pile of bits. :) Thanks.

Edit - having read through the linked post, it may have been the upside-down wing thing that I remembered. Age is catching up and well... you know. ;)

Just came across this again and the opening in the fuselage halfs is closed by a part on the "F" tree which is visible in an early post from AMG - and in the pictures now shown in Doras mail #81. I do not have the Trumpeter kit but from my understanding there was no such "plug" for this area.

Dora - how about sending a kit to someone for Britmodeller for a comprehensive review?

René

I am ready to send a set of Sea Fury for review at Britmodeller.
Maybe Troy Smith will want to compare the AMG kit with other models ..? ;)
Write to me where I can send the model, and I will do it :)

Like I said, this is cluttering up the shed

_5281818_zpssi1p3ssn.jpg

Sell me a kit and I'll compare it to a reasonably accurate reference :)

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 1

Sea Fury kits get Hannants and Alleycat. They have already been shipped.
Howard, the racing version is not yet in the market. Alec get racing "Mustangs."
Like these ones.

1433837709_IMG_8574.jpg1433837719_IMG_8578.jpg

Edited by dora
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Homebee said:

When do you intend to release your Hawker Sea Fury T.20 boxing (ref.46606)?

V.P.

In December. A new form for the fuselage is almost ready. :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dora said:

In December. A new form for the fuselage is almost ready. :)

Hi Dora, Will this new fuselage already have the twin cockpits moulded in place and we not have to make precise cuts on a single seater fuselage like the earlier release  I bought?  Any other modifications with the new form?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...