N.B. Heather Bell...4mm scale master

Hi all,

just finished a master of our old historic narrow boat, Heather Bell. All done in styrene sheet.

Includes engine and back cabin detail. Presented unpainted to save any risk of clogging of fine detail.

Will be produced by N-Drive Productions early next year.

001_zpsbmp0kjjh.jpg002_zpsbqkezdrs.jpg

Usual crap photos in low(ish) light, but you get the idea.

We intend this to be the first truly accurate model of a working narrow boat yet made. Since we lived on this boat and restored her, I got to know it well.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 8

If it's from plans, it'll be a steel one, Ian, so you'll have little trouble shaping the bow as they tended to be flatter. Heather Bell is a wooden boat and much shapelier than steel boats. I just worked the styrene through my fingers. Most shapes are single curvature if any at all.

Good luck,

Martin

Thanks Martin,

I have built a few narrowboats before when I was younger and have decided to build one now which is more accurate but not sure if I should stick to building them from wood or have a go with plastic sheets.

I'll start a work in progress topic to save cluttering this one up :)

Too be honest I'm not sure what scale to use!

These are the three I've built before...

CBED1BE8-9F45-4988-A459-26FD8810E21F_zps

The top one was the first when I was 14 and was built to 15mm to 1ft. The second to be built was the bottom one when I was 16 and is 20mm to 1ft. As is the middle one which I built in my early 20s. The lower two are radio controlled.

I've got some copies of original plans for a couple of 1930's Grand Union boats and am converting them to a CAD drawing so theoretically I can print them to whatever scale I wish.

I do also have access to a real one if I need to see how it goes together :)

23525485301_2616117971_n.jpg

2015-12-06 10.25.44 by Ian, on Flickr

Edited by IanM558

Ah, a Braunston boat. As, indeed, was Heather Bell. Built by the Nurser Bros in 1937.

Sorry not to have answered sooner, but I had a heart attack on Boxing Day and am only just back with a wee bit o' tin in my heart.

Cheers,

Martin