1/144 HP Victor

Lejgo_inc

Hi everyone,

My name is Leszek, I am writing to you from Poland. This is my debut on britmodeller forum. You can check examples of my earlier work here: https://imodeler.com/members/lejgo_inc/

Some time ago I unpacked the GWH box with Victor inside and decided it is a good kit, that can be further improved. I did that by designing this set

Good overall fit (intakes being the only exception), nice details (u/c doors, speed brake are fine straight out of box) and well thought out parts division...

Vic_02.jpg

Vic_03.jpg

Vic_05.JPG

Vic_04.jpg

I plan to build XL158, XL164 or XL512 B.2 Victor in anti-flash white. This is the Blue Steel aircraft.

Two questions are bothering me.

1. While Blue Steel was carried, fairings were installed in place of bomb bay doors to fill the gaps. I suspect the missile was not carried at all occasions - my guess is bomb bay doors were replaced and the aircraft assumed the look of plain non-BS Victor. Is my guess correct?

2. Antennas at the top of fuselage. Which ones should be present on an early 60's airframe? The rear blade antenna is visible on most photos, but then there is a photo of XL161 in camo and white belly carrying all those aerials. Are there any rules when and which antennas are used?

Vic_15.jpg

Edited by Lejgo_inc
links update
  • Like 6

I'm far from an expert on the Victor, but on the Vulcan it took some work to turn them back into conventional bomb carrying aircraft. I'm suspecting it was a pretty hefty fit so that the missile was not at risk of pulling itself off of the airframe by weight alone!. Probably just the recess and fairings when no bomb was carried. Could be wrong but that's what I would say. :bye:

I understand that the shaped fairing was left when the missile departed, giving the necessary streamlining for the aircraft to continue.

I should think the mechanism required to support the missile would mean the conversion back to bombs would have been a major task.

ps, I have two of these on the go. Those etched parts look interesting. May give them a try if you report back favourably.

Edited by STRAT'71

I stumbled upon a photo of XL161 flying without bomb bay doors (via airliners.net):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Handley-Page-HP-80/1227642/&sid=a7c339b25485c4de63f8fadd5206ec41

(Blue Steel B.2 with large fairing ahead of tail).

Maybe there is someone out there having/having seen a photo of Blue Steel Victor B.2 in configuration with regular bomb bay doors?

PE set provides additions in areas that are actually visible, not something like cockpit interior or undercarriage bays. Installing aerials is a breeze thanks to locating pins; most other parts are simple add-ons. The hardest part is entrance hatch, which requires careful shaping.

Edited by Mike
Picture removed. Please only link to their website, as they guard their copyright zealously.

I went through my books as well as through info published on the Internet and this is what I found about Blue Steel anti-flash Victors:

- GWH kit depicts B.2R (retrofitted) airframe with correct longer wingspan of 120 ft (36.6 m), Kuchemann carrots and the largest fin root intake

- the kit allows relatively easy build of the following airframes (of which I have found pics): XL158, XL162, XL164, XL511 and XL512

- the best photographed airframes are XL158 and XL512 - always with the missile underneath

- Aug 2006 issue of SAMI magazine contains very detailed Victor drawings prepared by AL Bentley - there is an information that when the missile was not carried the bomb bay opening was covered by fairing stored inside of the bomb bay, there is also drawing of Blue Steel bomb bay fairing.

- three photographs taken on the ground show this fairing being actually used: XL162 (Aerofax p.117), XL164 (Aerofax p.141) and XL511 (Warpaint p.15)

- two Blue Steel related details are missing in the kit: heat exchanger fairing on the bottom of the plane and the ECM 'warts' on the tail cone.

- in this thread there is an interesting info about covering the lower part of air-refuelling probe with pale blue paint - it is visible here on XL158

- several pics of XL512 in flight with Blue Steel missile are showing darker area on the bottom of the forward fuselage - a rectangle between dielectric radar fairing and the front gear doors. What colour could it be? Or maybe was it left in natural aluminum finish? This area is darker also on camouflaged Blue Steel airframes.

- the air deflector in front of the bomb bay seems to be made of solid parts in case of Blue Steel airframes. The perforated parts are visible mostly on B.2SR camouflaged machines.

- all the anti-flash Blue Steel Victors seem to sport only rear antennae mast on upper fuselage. It is usually dark (black?). The railing and the front mast are not present on period photos.

- the decals supplied by GWH are unusable in case of anti-flash Blue Steel Victors. 26 Decals have anti-flash Vulcans and Valiants in their 144th scale offer. They also do have the anti-flash Victor but only in 72nd scale. Anyone has an info about possible 144th anti-flash Victor decals?

Regards, Marek

• Like 1

I've produced artwork for 1/144 decals for anti-flash markings for Valiants, Victors & Vulcans.

I'm currently renovating my office so can't access the files, but as soon as I can I'll post pictures.

If anyone is interested, I can produce the decals on my Oki (Alps) printer.

XVTonker

• 2 months later...
Thank you all, Marek your research is as thorough as it gets! But it looks as there are still more questions than answers :)

Continuing work on Victor - she became white.

I cannot tell if it is Snow white, Arctic white, Anti-flash white, Pure white or Sparkling white. Combined with Victor shape it is definetly Imposing white.

Vic_16.jpg

Vic_17.jpg

I replaced mesh aero-screens with solid ones. I also removed rail-type antenna. Less spectacular, but closer to fact.

More photos as soon as I start to break this paint job with colors other than white.

Decals for XL164, printed by Meliusmanu are on their way.

BTW - There might be some surgery still, as I have news that Master-Model is planning to release a refuelling probe and pitots for Victor.

Edited by Lejgo_inc
  • Like 2