Raised lettering.

Borez

Does anyone have a technique for successfully painting raise lettering in miniature?

For example the Brembo on Brembo brake calipers or the Bosch on a Bosch Motronic ECU.

I've racked my brain looking for a solution, but just can't think of a way of doing this, it's way too small to mask and I think I'll just screw it up by trying to hand paint.

This is my technique;

1) Paint the part in the colour you want the raised lettering to be.

2) Coat of Future/Klear

3) When dry, paint in the colour you want the rest of the part to be

4) When dry, lightly sand the raised lettering - the top coat will come off and, as long as you're gentle, the Future/Klear will protect the underlying colour

• Like 1

The method I adopt if the raised lettering is on a flat surface is to use enamel and paint the item in the lettering colour, when completely dry paint the item in its required colour using acrylic paint. Next lay a piece of good quality writing paper on a flat surface, preferably a sheet of glass and gently soak the surface of the paper in acrylic thinner. Allow any excess thinner to evaporate, lay the item face down on the paper and gently drag it across the paper in one direction. The acrylic colour will have been removed evenly from the raised surfaces. This method can also be used for brass nameplates with a background colour.

Chris

• Like 3