day-glow orange for drop tanks on an F-84F

erewhon1872

Hi all,

wonder if anyone has a solution to the following? I want to make the P-212 Royal Netherland A/F F-84F from the Dutch decals sheet

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/5/2/3/317523-12382-41.jpg

but it has Day-Glow Orange drop tanks.

There's no paint type call out on the sheet and I wonder if there is a paint specifically for this?

I have two orange paints at the moment, Tamiya X-6 and Gunze Sangyo Hobby Color H14, both of which look like generic 'oranges'.

So question, is there a 'Day-glow Orange' paint i CAN BUY or if not is there anything I can add to either the Tamiya or Gunze orange paints to get them nearer to the colour of the drop tanks?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Pete

Vallejo Model Air doesa Day glo but it is very thin. I suggest you use one of your oranges as a base coat.

thanks for the reply and the suggestion.

I can find this as a colour chart for model air

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/72-basic-colors/family/17/69

but there is no day-glo orange that I can see? Do you have a number for the paint you mentioned or is there a chance they do not make it any more?

Model Air 71.082 it is on the 2nd list down at the bottom of the link you posted as 29 basic colours + airbrush Ultra H + S. Its called Fluorescent Red but is actually a brilliant Day Glo orange.

ok I opened up the pdf on that webpage and I see it now thanks.

I have never used Model Air paints so can I ask are they pre-mixed or do they need thinning? You said it was pretty thin to begin with so maybe if I use one of the other oranges as a base I could spray this straight from the bottle?

Thanks again,

Pete

Very thin indeed, don't thin it at all. Use one of your oranges as a base.

It took 10 coats to get a decent finish over white on my Folland Gnat so I think with an orange base a couple of coats will be fine.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983245-148th-gnat-t1/

thanks for the tip about the base of Orange, I certainly don't object to missing out on 10 coats!

Lovely looking Folland Gnat.

• 2 weeks later...

I give up with the Vallejo Model air paint, I either gets waves of paint and try to dry it off with just air.... and then with just air get even more paint because the air is spraying the tons of paint stuck on the tip of my airbrush nozzle, and once I clear that the airbrush is jammed and I get nothing, all of which takes about 60 seconds to accomplish.

There are obviously people out there who can get wonderful result with this paint, but I am not one of them!

I will stick to Mr Hobby and Tamiya, at least I can spray those for more than 30 seconds.

In the meantime if anybody wants two of the Model Air 71.082 'Fluorescent Red' paints (I was foolish enough to get two of them) then let me know as you are welcome to it, I have no use for it at all.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

I have a solution to this now but it does involve a paint that has sort of been discontinued.

I did the drop tanks in Tamiya X-6 Orange which was ok but a but flat and not really Day-Glo (to my tired eyes anyway) so over that base I sprayed Gunze Sangyo Aquequs H98 'Fluorescent Orange' and now I think I have Day-Glo, or close enough for me anyway!

The trouble is looking at a recent GS paint chart the H98 isn't on it, but they do the same colour in the Mr. Color range as C173 'Fluorescent Orange'.

So after a lot of trial and error I think I got a solution.

Again thanks to all who replied to the original question.

Pete