Looking for inspiration for a Bf 109 G-6 or G-14 build

Vlad

This is going to be an odd request so bear with me.

I've got one of the AZ Models Bf 109 "joy packs", and while I've decided what I'm doing with the G-2 and the early (square frame canopy) G-6, I'm undecided what I want to do with the G-14. On the one hand, I'm spoiled for choice with the later war camouflage schemes and I have a lot of spare decals, there are probably half a dozen G-14s I could (and would want to) build if I had the time and shelf space. On the other hand, most if not all the interesting schemes are on planes with the tall wooden tail fin. I don't mind this in principle but I already have a number of other late war 109 builds with the tall tail and I like the visual combination of the Erla canopy with the original short tail. But I can't find many good profiles of interesting or unique aircraft with this combination of features.

So what I'm looking for is inspiration to build this kit as a late G-6 that has the Erla canopy but retains the original short tail, or an early batch G-14 (again with the short tail). It would be nice if the plane had an unusual camouflage scheme or an interesting story to it.

Thanks!

Edited by Vlad

Why not try the Finnish example,which I think was a G6 , which was fitted with two odd wings, with different upper wing bulges over the undercarriage bays.I will try to seek out my reference with a photograph,but you may be able to find it,as it was published in a Finnish IPMS publication.

Bill.

Bill, that was news to me and I thought I knew something about Finnish MT:s! There were indeed several low-tail, Erla-cabin planes, some even had and retained their 20mm gunpods and took part in the war, unlike MT-507. Regards, V-P

Nice ideas, for some reason I didn't think of all the non-German users! I was hoping to do this without buying new decals but I do have some spare Romanian markings, and have found an aircraft "blue 10" in a decal sheet which looks quite nice. And the Hungarians had G-6s and G-14s as well, their markings are fairly easy to mask.

But did the RAF capture a short-tail G-14 or an Erla canopy G-6? I've seen an F-4 and a G-10 in captured markings before, not sure about other variants.

do an image search?

this thread list some 109 G options.

an eye catching 109 is the one stripped back to bare metal

nmf109_6.jpg

see http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/kurt-gablers-jg300-bf-109g-6-natural.html

or finnish racer

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988000-a-poser-for-yall/#entry2091390

right hood/tail as well

bf109g6racercs_1small.jpg

• Like 3

IIRC, just about all G-14's had the "Erla hood;" and some Messerschmitt, and all WNF, production of that variant retained the short tail.

The recent book, "Bf 109 Late Versions Camouflage and Markings," by MMP, has quite a few attractive and well-researched profiles which combine those features. This book is excellent and one of my favorite reference sources for late 109's.

IIRC, just about all G-14's had the "Erla hood;" and some Messerschmitt, and all WNF, production of that variant retained the short tail.

The recent book, "Bf 109 Late Versions Camouflage and Markings," by MMP, has quite a few attractive and well-researched profiles which combine those features. This book is excellent and one of my favorite reference sources for late 109's.

Indeed I am using this book and building "White 7" with the tall tail from another kit, which is partly why I might try to avoid another "standard" RLM 74/75/76 scheme plane. There are 5 short tail G-14s in the book, 4 German 1 Hungarian, but all are somewhat bland compared to the schemes shown for the tall tail planes. However, that all-metal G-6 looks very good and in fact JG 300 seems a good source for interesting schemes for square frame G-6s. Thank you!

I essentially have 4 109s unbuilt (3 from the AZ joy pack and 1 AZ Erla G-14), all of which can be built into G-2, G-4, G-6 or G-14 with the only limitation being that 2 have to be Erla canopy and 2 square frame. The AZ Erla G-14 comes with decals for three variants all of which are covered in the MMP book, and all of which are interesting to me. Of course, all are tall tail but essentially I'm gathering inspirations/ideas and then deciding how I will allocate the kit construction.

But did the RAF capture a short-tail G-14 or an Erla canopy G-6? I've seen an F-4 and a G-10 in captured markings before, not sure about other variants.

Off the top of my head, I can only think on one that was captured by the Canadians of 401 Squadron - Red 3 (Often mistakenly identified as French due to the ortho tones on the photo)

Bf%20109%20G-6%20Red%203%20-%20Butte_zps

I've identified 25 or so RAF Messerschmitts so far - there's an album on my occasionally updated Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/Davesmodellingpage/

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Other book worthy of study, if you like non-German 109's, is "Captured ME 109's" by Jacek Jaciewicz, published by Kecay.

I don't own this one, but the same author's two volumes on captured Fw 190's are truly superb.

It's good, not without errors. They list the one above as French for example

Can't go wrong with Marsailles, an amazing pilot, and almost bigger than life personality within the Reich. And if it helps, one of the less challenging German paint schemes.

Cheers

Can't go wrong with Marsailles, an amazing pilot, and almost bigger than life personality within the Reich. And if it helps, one of the less challenging German paint schemes.

Cheers

...but Star of Africa and Erla- canopy don't match 😉

...but Star of Africa and Erla- canopy don't match

Well, at least two of the kits can be built as a G-2 but if I made a Marseille plane I would rather have an F-4 than the one that killed him. Besides, I'm more or less set on making Trautloft's Stab./JG54 mount with one of the kits.

The other thing that has an Erla canopy with a short tail is Hartmann's 109G-6 "White 1". But I don't have spare decals for the tulip, and in any case I already built three other Hartmann 109s, two with the tulip one without. I suppose White 1 is therefore a gap in my collection but I fear it would be too repetitive.

Well...it seems my previous suggestions have failed to meet the required standard of "interesting" or "unique," LOL!

But if you haven't already, do search the full range of "Eagle Cals" for the Bf 109. They make no less than 60 sheets for the 109 in 1/72 scale, including 4 for G-14's which include colorful schemes combining Erla hood and short tail.

There are also 3 sheets for JG 300 with some eligible schemes, including the bare-metal one detailed in an earlier post.

There's certainly no shortage of Bf 109 decals in the world, but Eagle Cals are among my favorites for quality and accurate research.

Well...it seems my previous suggestions have failed to meet the required standard of "interesting" or "unique," LOL!

But if you haven't already, do search the full range of "Eagle Cals" for the Bf 109. They make no less than 60 sheets for the 109 in 1/72 scale, including 4 for G-14's which include colorful schemes combining Erla hood and short tail.

There are also 3 sheets for JG 300 with some eligible schemes, including the bare-metal one detailed in an earlier post.

There's certainly no shortage of Bf 109 decals in the world, but Eagle Cals are among my favorites for quality and accurate research.

I hope I didn't come across as rude dismissing your suggestion, apologies if I did! I wanted something that was REALLY unusual but I may backtrack on that, still deciding (haven't touched the kits yet, other things on the bench!). However if I did a "standard" camouflage scheme I would want the plane of an ace or a Stab plane, gotta love those chevrons! I have used Eagle Cals in the past and am very impressed with their quality. If I end up going for a scheme I can't piece together from spares they would be my first port of call.

• 4 months later...

Further to my previous post re.the Finnish 109,I have found the reference quoted,which is "IPMS-MALLARI"NO.67,Issue 3/88.It contains a ten page article,with photographs and drawings,of Bf109G2s in Finnish service.One aircraft,MT-227,Apparently had a starboard g-6 wing,with bulge,and a port G-2 wing,without bulge,and colour scheme drawings are shown.The writer of the article insists that the information is correct,even if official records state that G-6 wings were installed.I regret that I have difficulty in posting drawings on this site,as I feel that the article could be of interest,

Bill.

Hi

193Sqn and 266? Sqn found two new 109's when they moved into Antwerp duerne ?

I spoke to a 193Sqn mechanic many years ago who assembled one of them, copied some photos of him assembling it.

apparently they kept them until the UK found out about them snd took them.

sorry about the vagueness, the talk was about 20yrs ago :)

cheers

jerry

Sorry

just google and found they were K-4 sub type

Edited by brewerjerry

Indeed, there's a SA-kuva of MT-227 taken 12.5.44 at Suulajärvi that shows the starboard wing with bulge. That unlucky wing was shot apart 17.6. that same year, with the wingless plane hitting MT-229 flying below it - that happened while -227 was flying top cover above clouds and -229 below the clouds, all of a sudden a wingless plane diving through and hitting another one. Both pilots were lost with their planes, and they were no rookies. 1Lt Sarjamo was flying -227 and Knight of the Mannerheim Cross Lt. Nissinen -229. Special enough?