Will's Annus Interruptus

Will Vale

Hi all,

I seem to have spent most of the year apologising for not finishing things! It's not a good look is it? But we did move house (unplanned, something came on the market we really liked after we'd just about committed to staying put). Then my wife spent a month swanning around Europe's ivory towers while I looked after small and kept up work. After that I'm not sure what happened.

Anyway, here's what's emerged from the forest of started-and-unfinished threads this year:

20481216608_6e0284ea78_b.jpg

20669227155_dde6214672_b.jpg

(click for bigger)

A set of three Baldwin Steam Tanks from the wargame "All Quiet on the Martian Front" - these are nice little plastic models with OK fit. They painted up quite nicely despite the rather soft mouldings, and it was fun to go all-out with the modulation. The scale is a bit odd but they're about three inches long.

20642951706_fb25f6ab03_b.jpg

The natural adversary for these tanks - a Martian Fighting Machine. Again this is quite a nice little plastic kit, painted with various Alclad shades.

The winter was cold and in the new place my office-cum-modelling room is no longer the warmest space, so I retired to the sofa and painted little plastic men. These are all Games Workshop so a bit bigger than 28mm.

19358430969_604372b177_b.jpg

This chap was "free" with the GW magazine. I thought the designs (fantasy cybermen?) were silly at first but they really grew on me and I ended up buying the starter box for Age of Sigmar to have more cybermen to paint. Especially this one!

20399516199_b4a2e3d266_b.jpg

Amazing what they can do with the plastic now, these are incredibly complex for fixed-pose figures.

I also painted a group of the Chaos adversaries:

19919594270_802f10d226_b.jpg

which taught me a fair bit about painting skin. I've been trying to be braver about contrast and neater with details.

19491315473_0c5bfbbb93_b.jpg

19491303653_3a48937197_b.jpg

I amused myself painting chest and armpit hair onto some of them as you can see.

I finished my figure painting off by doing their leader, Khorgos Khul, and his little dog too:

21861205341_9b89f278fa_b.jpg

he seemed to take forever and I was pretty burnt out from doing all the tiny details at the end. I loved painting his cape though:

21825470286_eb371295f3_b.jpg

After that I started some things and didn't finish them (sorry Vietnam GB!) and finally got back into gear with this little Gundam - cheap and cheerful and a lot of fun:

22691291034_9ebb835e6c_b.jpg

22951744019_79d23c1936_b.jpg

Since I've had a bit less modelling time this year, I've been looking for things to do with my existing models and I've been trying (inspired mainly by Andy Moore) to make my photography and presentation a bit more interesting:

19356579840_9f196ca773_b.jpg

19969644029_9f102d9779_b.jpg

21960110545_2fbc0a12db_b.jpg

My favourite is probably this one which was shot on a model railway module in front of my window, and then messed with:

19261851885_90fafab4e5_b.jpg

I should mention two other things which have taken time away from modelling - I spent a month learning to sew in order to make costumes for a 40th Anniversary Rocky Horror screening, including a scratch-built antimatter laser made mainly from knitting needles. And I've been doing the posters and newsletters and website for our model club's Expo next year:

23487833629_02d93695eb_b.jpg

Feel free to check out our website here - I'm probably going to change the yellow on white: Although I was following some guidelines for Wellington promotion on the council's website, the header would be better on dark grey.

http://scalemodelswellington.org.nz/

If I'm lucky I will get to add one more model to the total this year:

16385916772_209f88b47f_b.jpg

I am trying to psych myself up to fix the rigging strand that broke in the move...

I leave you with the following - don't trust strange strange couples:

21994221824_44a1c0d512_b.jpg

Cheers!

Will

• Like 22

Hi Will - said it before and I'll say it again, I always look forward to your yearbook. Always high quality and interesting mate. This year is no exception - absolutely superb.

One thing...I think your lady wife comes out of that photograph better than you! Careful with those leg hairs in those stockings! Brilliant - I have a similar thing coming up next year in Bristol - dreading it as my wife is a BIG fan of the film and musical

• Like 1

That has to be one of the most interesting "what I did this year" posts yet. Only drawback is hearing that it is The Rocky Horrors' 40th anniversary. I was 20 when we all went mad the first time, so that makes me .....well, old.

Great builds - including the little dog.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

I always thought your annus was a bit dodgy Will.

I'm just flattered you were paying attention to my annus :)

One thing...I think your lady wife comes out of that photograph better than you! Careful with those leg hairs in those stockings!

I don't deny that despite all the running up hills I've been doing I'd much rather look at her legs than mine :) I did make it through the evening without laddering which is better than last year.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, it's definitely a rush.

I was 20 when we all went mad the first time, so that makes me .....well, old.

A friend at my model club went to the second theatrical run, he said it was a really bizarre and amazing experience when Frank came down the aisle!

Must've been great to see it when it was all new, as opposed to the slightly codified (responses etc.) experience it has become.

Thanks for the kind comments folks, I'm really hoping for more builds next year but you never know what'll get in the way until it does. To wit: I have to produce Christmas dinner bang on time this year rather than the usual "sometime after 1pm". Because I found out last week that my dad is flying to China on Christmas day and has to leave the house before 2pm.

Apparently the thing he's speaking at was originally going to be on Christmas day. He explained that Christmas is actually a bit of a thing over here and the folks in charge conceded to move the date back a bit.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks folks!

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Lovely to hear from you again Jörgen - Britmodeller has been diminished by your absence, I hope you have some more modelling time in 2016!

Will

• Like 1

Thanks! I'm starting to get more confident with the figures - I mostly seem to be able to figure out how to proceed with things now, rather than getting stuck because I can't think how to do something. Still need to practice and practice to get faster and neater, although the Stormcast (gold armour guys) are relatively quick to paint.

Will

It's nice to see some seriously good figure painting going on. I think the Chaos adversary with the topknot is wonderful! The Tiger Moth looks great too - I have no idea why rigging is always harder to fix than it is to do the first time around!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Will, your painting skills are soothing else, lovely presented photos as well. I also like the Martian tank scene.

a scratch-built antimatter laser made mainly from knitting needles.

Of course, what else would you use? Can we see it?

• Like 1

Of course, what else would you use? Can we see it?

I still haven't taken decent pictures, I will remedy that.

I did think of you as I was building it as some of my solutions were... less than orthodox.

Will

• Like 1