NF-5A, WITH 41 SQN. RAF MARKINGS, of 315 SQN Klu/RNeth.AF

Ali62

Well I thought I would try a group build again, seeing I failed and gave up last time round on the small airforce GB.

Let us hope I can get something completed this time.

Kinetic 1/48 scale kit and decals from Dutch Decal sheet 48045, closest I could to doing a RAF aircraft for this, without going 'WHAT IF'.

cheers Ali

IMG_1149_zps05f85bjg.jpg

IMG_1148_zpsp8zckx3k.png

• Like 3

Welcome aboard and that's a nice scheme you've chosen.

The Kinetic model is not a bad model but it does have a few issues, if you have a look at some of the other ones you'll see the fixes there. They're nothing major and shouldn't affect the overall build time at all.

Well good luck with your build, nice that you could join us and look forward to seeing your build in the galley.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have been busy but need to show some progress, I think the pictures will speak for themselves but as such I am nearly at the stage of assembling it all together, hope to do that over the weekend, well that is the plan!!!!

Having read a few pointers in the other builds I tackled it and spent a lot of time making sure all the parts fitted as best as I could and used plastic card shims as much as possible as I am not fan of too much filler. Most can be tweaked into place by careful fitting and re-fitting. I found that around the exhaust area NOT much could be done to get a good fir a keep the detail, so I made some new details in plastic card and added some raised rivet detail, once it was all cleaned up. In the process of assembly I had added and blended the PE parts on the Chaff dispensers a few days I could not believe that one had come adrift so I had to make a new one out of card, think it will look ok once painted and has some wash in it to show the SQUARE holes, just as well t was this side as the other side has rectangles that would have been more tricky to create that the squares, with a home made developed punch tool.

Below are a few pictures, will post more when I have the airframe together.

IMG_1169_zpsencm5dic.jpg

IMG_1170_zpskzro98fw.jpg

IMG_1172_zpspazptpqz.jpg

IMG_1173_zpsybnmgd0q.jpg

IMG_1174_zpsik86xqpx.jpg

IMG_1171_zpskdj7mffe.jpg

• Like 2

Nice start you've made.

I do like the new rivet detail you've added, was a pain on mine with that join as I was scared I'd remove all the rivets! What did you use and where did you get them?

Hi Rich

Thanks the rivets are ARCHER details, they are available from Historex or from them direct in the USA. I have used quite a few details of theirs on various pattern making jobs, they do work quite well. Archers are not really cheap but they do work and to be honest there is a wider selection buying from them direct in the USA, delivery is fairly quick and not that much more than buying locally. If you think out the box quite a few of the various shapes they do can be used for various details, and you can cut and trim larger items to make new shapes. These rivets may not be 100% spacing wise etc but for this project they will do fine. For the half moon 'scallopes' on the exhaust cans I used my punch set using 5 thou card and then cut the discs in half.

I think once all painted up they should all look ok.

cheers Ali

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Not much happened this week but hope to get some more done tomorrow and during the week in the evenings.

Cockpit installed and main components all assembled, at least it looks like a plane now.

Seat has had some seat belts added, not really correct ones for this BUT I could not really justify buying a full etch set just for some belts, makes it look busy at least.

IMG_1185_zps55b7bi2r.jpgIMG_1184_zpscwwkonbw.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Oh well, really making a shambles of this, loaded the finished pictures into the gallery first, yesterday.

Well just in the nick of time it is finished. Not the greatest of kits and also by far my best performance. Anyway this is my first GB done and finished and to top it even more is my first model finished in about 9 or 10 years. After all the years of thrashing out masters, doing casting and running a model company it all became too much, to sit down and then to do some modelling, now I am enjoying the hobby again at long last............

It is not to the standard that I would like but at least it is done, this is also the first model that I have painted entirely with acrylic paint and I realise I need a little more practice and patience with this. Also tried out some of the TRUE EARTH products, I am really liking these and I will be doing more experiments with these and showing more in depth results over the next little while, here on BM.

Any way below are some pictures, these are the same as what I have put in the Gallery.

cheers Ali

IMG_1191_zps7xfo8avy.jpg

IMG_1192_zps4kxqv781.jpg

IMG_1194_zpsll6kfdfu.jpg

IMG_1196_zpsuld0fydh.jpg

IMG_1198_zpskjojk1pr.jpg

Edited by Ali62
  • Like 1