1:24 scale AEC Matador 0854 with Coles Crane

Ripaman

Just come across this. What a skilled and fascinating build!

Brilliant stuff.

:mike:

He is BLOODY GOOD ain't he Murdo ???

That crane and jib is a fine work of engineering and looking forward to seeing it when it is combined with the Typhie !!!

• Like 1

incredible scratching, such a professional level scary ... :zombie:lol :popcorn:

Hi Francis, thanks very much for your kind words

I am running out of superlatives!

No worries, but if you do see something which does not look right let me know.

Your vocabulary must be better than mine, I ran out several updates back!

Thanks Brian, do like this sort of modelling

wonderful work on display here, superb stuff.

Its coming along how I had envisioned, thanks for looking in

Every forum should have a scratch builder to show the kit bashers how inept they are and leaving them feeling worthless :coolio: great stuff to watch... feeling worthless Lancashire.

I hope I do not make kit bashers inept or make them feel worthless, every modeller to me is an artist my canvas is just a tad different :frantic::frantic:

By the same token, every froum needs a random superlative generator for when we mere mortals' vocabularies run dry.

Thanks Richard

Absolutely amazing. I wish I had even a few of your scratchbuilding skills!

The only thing I can say is scratch build something, if it turns out how you want it then you say thats not to bad, if you don't like it chuck it, I done lots of that

Anyway I do thank you all for looking in,

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Just come across this. What a skilled and fascinating build!

Brilliant stuff.

:mike:

Thanks Murdo glad you like it

He is BLOODY GOOD ain't he Murdo ???

That crane and jib is a fine work of engineering and looking forward to seeing it when it is combined with the Typhie !!!

Crane did turn out not to bad, have a feeling I should have used smaller angle :doh: but I will not change it now.

I saw you drooling all over it Nige.

Well, me too actually... LOL

:Tasty:

:blush:

Pure art, now what about that Hurricane?

Hi Tony,

I seem to have missed replying to your post :bangin: but thanks for looking in, regarding the Hurricane after reading your post I looked at it and will start back on it soon I have put to much time into it to just let it sit.

Great bit of scratch building especially how you done the louvers

Thanks Kev, took a few tries to get what I wanted, size of louver could be too big :hmmm: just wish I had some drawings.

Until next time,

Regards

Richard

Hi Tony,

I seem to have missed replying to your post :bangin: but thanks for looking in, regarding the Hurricane after reading your post I looked at it and will start back on it soon I have put to much time into it to just let it sit.

Thats OK Richard, I probably sound like a cracked record anyway.

Looking forward to the completion of both the Coles and Hurricane, at your leisure (that'll obviously be the end of July 2016 :lol: )

• 1 month later...

Time for a small update, needed to find some letters and numbers to add to the nameplate on the back of the Coles Crane, so I bought from Archer there numbers and letters for castings

uPO5mq.jpg

Now crane body and boom are painted SCC15 Olive Drab will be doing some weathering later

tN4Vzd.jpg

Does this colour look right???

o74jsT.jpg

gq9yWE.jpg

HuS8i2.jpg

YHsM73.jpg

KrFwlh.jpg

xCyzF1.jpg

If anyone can let me know if colour looks off thanks

regards

Richard

• Like 6

Have been looking at your workbench with sheer terror Richard, how can you work on such a clean space :analintruder::yikes:

Just kidding, it's magnificent just like the build. I did notice you have a large selection of Mr. Paint, how do you like using it?

Julian

• Like 1

Whatever able to make the scratch, it is impossible to be mistaken with color ... :banghead: , on the other hand, your workspace is fantastic for lack of a better word, and that is already known, with good ingredients food tastes better ... lol.

Cheers Ripaman.

• Like 1

British RAF took its edit from Army vehicle spec and the BASE colour would have been BROWN.

AMO orders in April 1941 stated that all vehicles should be camouflaged and by 1943 vehicles coming off the production line were so.

Repaints were carried out only when possible due to the vehicles availability.

Olive Drab is an American colour introduced and I doubt your vehicle would have been OD.

This link may prove useful . . .

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=455&t=27458&hilit=RAF+Vehicle+colours

Mike Starmer and Ted Angus are leading authorities on the subject

Hope it helps

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2016 at 10:15 PM, Gremlin56 said:

Have been looking at your workbench with sheer terror Richard, how can you work on such a clean space :analintruder::yikes:

Just kidding, it's magnificent just like the build. I did notice you have a large selection of Mr. Paint, how do you like using it?

Julian

Hi Julian, workbench is a bit clean now, should have seen it before I bought those paint holders :whistle: , regarding Mr Paint, I have only used the Rubber Tire one and I like it, goes on very nice straight from the bottle.

On 8/14/2016 at 1:00 AM, FrancisGL said:

Whatever able to make the scratch, it is impossible to be mistaken with color ... :banghead: , on the other hand, your workspace is fantastic for lack of a better word, and that is already known, with good ingredients food tastes better ... lol.

Cheers Ripaman.

Thanks alot Francis still not sure about the colour :hmmm:

On 8/16/2016 at 3:32 AM, Mancunian airman said:

British RAF took its edit from Army vehicle spec and the BASE colour would have been BROWN.

AMO orders in April 1941 stated that all vehicles should be camouflaged and by 1943 vehicles coming off the production line were so.

Repaints were carried out only when possible due to the vehicles availability.

Olive Drab is an American colour introduced and I doubt your vehicle would have been OD.

This link may prove useful . . .

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=455&t=27458&hilit=RAF+Vehicle+colours

Mike Starmer and Ted Angus are leading authorities on the subject

Hope it helps

Ian

Hi Ian on post #5 Richard E sent what paint colour it should be for late 1944 early 1945 over in Europe and this is Olive Drab BS987C S.C.C No 15

I got hold of some of the paint he suggested and it does look a little different from the AMMO paint :hmmm:

9yVpGu.jpg

1a8uYm.jpg

gDcZ1P.jpg

uEljaY.jpg

What do you guys think :confused:

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

If I may, To me, what you have already used

looks like a new or factory paint finish.

What's in the tins (or at least on the lids)

looks like a slightly weathered finish.

I normally like a weathered finish but I must

say that I like the clean finish you have so far.

Having said that, your model, so your choice!

• Like 1

If I may, To me, what you have already used

looks like a new or factory paint finish.

What's in the tins (or at least on the lids)

looks like a slightly weathered finish.

I normally like a weathered finish but I must

say that I like the clean finish you have so far.

Having said that, your model, so your choice!

I do agree with you Pete it needs some weathering from the black and white picture it would look like dust :hmmm: will wait until Ian asks his friend what colour it should be.

dae1e5a0-7ac3-420e-9728-e8d2a53d73e5_zps[/url]

Details are fantastic !!!! Still following this intently !!!!!!

Thanks alot Nige, its coming along, have been playing with a willys jeep which will be part of this

Is this really plastic, looks so much like metal.

Nice finish but,Pete in Lincs has a point, but I am sure you will get it right in the end, after all its your model.

:popcorn::popcorn:

foxy :coolio:

Thanks Foxy, I will be weathering, crane would be out in the elements 24/7

I cant say for definite that these vehicles were produced in late 1944-45 with OD colouring.

I shall call a friend , Ted, to see what he thinks . ..

Ian

Hi Ian, if your friend Ted can tell you what colour they would have been that would be brilliant :thumbsup: wish we had a colour picture :winkgrin:

They could have been painted before going to Normandy

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

Richard

I have received the following note from Ted

I would suggest the crane would be in SCC2 (brown) with SCC 1A (very dark brown) as the disruptive colour - presuming he wants to have a camo pattern. . Vehicles were only repainted on an as- required basis - including those going to France . I have drawn the conclusion that few RAF vehicles - other than newly received, straight from the production line Bedford QLs would have been in SCC15 UK OD by D Day. I have pictures taken near Antwerp of barrage balloon sqn vehicles still in the pre 1942 camo pattern which illustrates the point.
regards TED

I hope this helps

Ian

• Like 1

It looks great when you do the weathering will make it even more ...cheers Richard :thumbsup:

I see that from you model Francis, will be doing some once I re-paint to SCC 2

he amount of detail you have crammed in is amazing :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

I have only done as much as I can see from looking at pictures, once I do some weathering the detail should pop out, I hope

:yikes: Your skills is out of this world....!!!!!!!

Thanks alot Sin

awesome work

Thanks for looking in on my ongoing project

Richard

I have received the following note from Ted

I would suggest the crane would be in SCC2 (brown) with SCC 1A (very dark brown) as the disruptive colour - presuming he wants to have a camo pattern. . Vehicles were only repainted on an as- required basis - including those going to France . I have drawn the conclusion that few RAF vehicles - other than newly received, straight from the production line Bedford QLs would have been in SCC15 UK OD by D Day. I have pictures taken near Antwerp of barrage balloon sqn vehicles still in the pre 1942 camo pattern which illustrates the point.

regards TED

I hope this helps

Ian

Hi Ian, Thanks very much for doing this, should have looked more on the Armour Discussion under WWII, found someone asked regarding RAF Ground Equipment 2008, have printed off Mike Starmer paint mixes so of today to Model Land to buy some Humbrol 98 and 29 or Tamiya XF68, XF3 and XF1, have read that it would not have come with a camo pattern and from the pictures i have they show no camo.

Again thanks very much this just gives me more practice on the air brush

Its modelling like this that makes me feel inadequate. :hanging: What a brilliant display of craftsmanship.Well done its a pleasure too see an craftsman at work. :wow: :wow: :wow:

Hi Celt, I do not wish to make anyone feel inadequate :fraidnot: I build the way I do to relieve my daily stress of running a business, thanks for your kind words.

Regards

Richard

• Like 2