1:24 scale AEC Matador 0854 with Coles Crane

Ripaman

On 2/9/2016 at 11:07 PM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Wow, it's really take shape now. Loving this build!

Hi Alpha, yes it is taking shape

On 2/11/2016 at 1:22 AM, Mancunian airman said:

A master class in scratch build . . . :thumbsup:

Very nice of you to say thanks

Made the roof out of .030 sheet, did not bend in a jig, will just glue it on later.

CUyo3b.jpg

o3N0Ed.jpg

Here with some clamps on

Dnid2d.jpg

Went back to the main crane and added detail, put in the holes in the back weight, safety switch on the front, added the wiring, some bolts and handles for the doors etc so now this can be painted.

jNPsl5.jpg

9p05J2.jpg

AvHn6u.jpg

CGZZvx.jpg

PiIfrm.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 6

On 2/13/2016 at 12:12 PM, kev67 said:

Lovely bit of modelling, very neat and tidy

Hi Kev thanks for looking in, do like the looks of the Matador and Crane

On 2/13/2016 at 1:51 PM, Okdoky said:

This has really come together !!!!!!!!!!!! Will look amazing with a coat of paint on it too !!!!!!!!!!!

Still hooked

Nige

Thanks Nige getting closer, received some primer paint for the Mig Paint so should be soon.

Getting closer to finishing the Coles Crane part I made the Hook Block, need it to be a little heavy so that it would look right when I add the wire so I went with brass, all parts are workable.

This is what I wanted it to look like,

ILnUUp.jpg

Started with the sheave, made the first one to big

ogUPyd.jpg

xDnDZm.jpg

2kg79Z.jpg

d7iBRJ.jpg

cf9RTW.jpg

That it for now,

Regards

Richard

• Like 4

Loving the engineering that you are putting into this !!!!!!!!!!!!! I take it you have a full milling machine and lathe ???????? That hook is a work of art on its own !!!!!!!!!

And as you say this will give any wire or rope you use a proper hang !!!!!!!

Nige

• Like 1

Okay I have to know.....how on earth did you make that hook? It looks absolutely gorgeous! Your whole project is beyond great, it's really a masterclass in modelling and I'd like to thank you on behalf of everyone here for posting all this.

Edited by TGA
  • Like 3

On 2/20/2016 at 2:13 AM, Mancunian airman said:

Modelling on a totally different level . . . :hypnotised: it looks brill

Thanks a lot Mancunian just love this type of modeling

On 2/20/2016 at 2:24 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Absolutely awesome workmanship! You are are very skillful engineer.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Hi Alpha did my welding and fabrication apprenticeship in Poole Dorset

On 2/20/2016 at 2:59 AM, stevej60 said:

Getting there Richard,superb work!

It coming Steve trying to get it done before June

On 2/20/2016 at 9:52 AM, Okdoky said:

Loving the engineering that you are putting into this !!!!!!!!!!!!! I take it you have a full milling machine and lathe ???????? That hook is a work of art on its own !!!!!!!!!

And as you say this will give any wire or rope you use a proper hang !!!!!!!

Nige

Hi Nige, I have the Sherline Lathe and Milling machine which are brilliant machines

bAMb1X.jpg

On 2/20/2016 at 10:11 AM, TGA said:

Okay I have to know.....how on earth did you make that hook? It looks absolutely gorgeous! Your whole project is beyond great, it's really a masterclass in modelling and I'd like to thank you on behalf of everyone here for posting all this.

Hi TGA, started the hook by looking at the picture and notice it was very close to the scale of 1:24 so I just traced around it then transferred this to a 3/4" square bar

x2RHBM.jpg

FNutoL.jpg

Cydd43.jpg

oNINd6.jpg

Then I milled around my marking, parted it off on the lathe this is what is left.

5ddwQI.jpg

Then I used my Turbo Carver with a dental bit and carver the shape, then after that it was just filing

9bLzMo.jpg

SuxlUA.jpg

This took approx 2.5 hours to make the hook, not sure if it to scale but I think it is very close.

Regards

Richard

• Like 5

On 2/23/2016 at 12:11 AM, TGA said:

Thanks for this explanation Richard! Who cares if it's exactly to scale, it looks marvellous!

Thanks alot TGA

On 2/23/2016 at 12:37 AM, brodiebear said:

Words fail me :yikes::thumbsup:

Brodie thanks for looking in on my project

On 2/24/2016 at 12:28 PM, richellis said:

Thanks very much for these pictures, will use some to finish off some of the items, I think this is the early cab, has anyone got pictures of the later one??

Used the picture which I used to make the crane hook to make the lifting beam, made it to be 6" in depth, the clamp bracket moves at this moment so until I mount it to engine I will see where it should go.

gBIrrv.jpg

AncTUS.jpg

wrsLfd.jpg

Thanks for looking in,

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

It will be based on the centre of gravity of the real engine as a purpose made frame for that engine likely ! Your model engine will have its own centre of gravity you will need to check and maybe alter to get the look right ! Maybe a weight added here or there inside to get it looking like the photo !

Nige

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2016 at 6:06 AM, Okdoky said:

It will be based on the centre of gravity of the real engine as a purpose made frame for that engine likely ! Your model engine will have its own centre of gravity you will need to check and maybe alter to get the look right ! Maybe a weight added here or there inside to get it looking like the photo !

Nige

Hi Nige, thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of the engine and filling it with lead then hopefully CoG right.

On 2/26/2016 at 12:51 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just :wow::worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Thanks Sgt can't believe it has been a month since I updated.

Well time for an update, have been working on my project, just been lazy to take some pictures :doh:

Started to add the detail to rear wheels

VdZZ71.jpg

y1K4DQ.jpg

Then made the brackets to hold the back hook

8wHlxl.jpg

Then went back to do some more detail to the cab, added the air filter as per the pictures Rich posted

BBnpWb.jpg

czPPI6.jpg

lHMKOm.jpg

dgv4zg.jpg

Did not like my first attempt on the seats, again this was looking at the pictures so here is the second go.

idz2GJ.jpg

bO8ENg.jpg

ghLG9k.jpg

cctNCP.jpg

That it for now,

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

I don't know how I managed to miss this build so far Richard. This is really amazing work. I am also impressed by your work space: it's not a man cave but a man cathedral :winkgrin:

The Typhoon is a looker too.

:analintruder:

• Like 2

I assume you have a lathe, vertical and horizontal milling machines, laser cutting machine, water jet cutting machine, 3D printers, Ion drive flux capacitors, magnetic plasma containment fields and some technology known only to time-travellers from the 24th Century.....

• Like 6