1:24 scale AEC Matador 0854 with Coles Crane

Ripaman

Hi,

I am scratch building a AEC Matador 0854 with a Coles Crane in 1:24 scale,

This is going to go in a diorama taking out a Typhoon engine somewhere in France late 1944 early 1945.

9uV6Je.jpg

I have the book Taking the rough with the smooth by Steve Richards, can anyone tell me what the colour of the unit would have been? I dont think it was blue!!

There is no 1;24 scale body of a Matador 0854 so I bought the AEC Militant Mk1 6 x6 from Howard at KFS, had to lengthen the chassis to make it 14'-9 1/8" wheelbase.

aD1u8L.jpg

I removed the wood of the chassis and replaced with channel I made out of sheet styrene, then made the bottom turntable out of 1/8 sheet and turned it to shape.

2quP1U.jpg

Until next time,

Regards

Richard

Edited by Ripaman
Due to Photobucket
  • Like 8

Thanks guys,

Here is the top part of the turn table made the same out of 1/8 styrene, I dont have any drawings so this is looking at pictures and a 1:48 model.

4JkAPH.jpg

mqB3Fm.jpg

Then I made the Coles Crane Sign which goes in the weight.

jNeMJv.jpg

IOq5HD.jpg

Still need to know what colour to paint it.

Regards

Richard

Edited by Ripaman
  • Like 5

Already an amazing build

I have the book Taking the rough with the smooth by Steve Richards, can anyone tell me what the colour of the unit would have been? I dont think it was blue!!

Taken from the Miniature Armoured Fighting Vehicle Association website, this may help:

The final change in colouring came in April 1944 when A.C.I. 533 authorised S.C.C. 15 Olive Drab for use as the new basic colour, partially to remove the need to repaint US supplied vehicles. S.C.C. 15 Olive Drab was used to cover the obsolete S.C.C. 2 in M.T.P. 46/4A patterns or on its own, particularly after the abandonment of disruptive painting with A.C.I. 1100 of August 1944 except on vehicles still in S.C.C. 2.

This colour is available from Sovereign Hobbies as part of the former White Ensign Models' Colourcoats range as ARB19: http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2015 at 3:00 PM, Richard E said:

Already an amazing build

Taken from the Miniature Armoured Fighting Vehicle Association website, this may help:

This colour is available from Sovereign Hobbies as part of the former White Ensign Models' Colourcoats range as ARB19: http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/

Thanks very much Richard, tried ordering from them but they cannot ship to Canada :shrug: so will have mix some colours to try and match best I can.

Made the crane body base using channel

2lDGvV.jpg

jvpoyf.jpg

CNTCr0.jpg

d3xXA2.jpg

xRHB5V.jpg

Put the Coles Sign in the back weight, and then added angle to make the frame

lT43DA.jpg

Again thanks Richard for the colour to use.

Regards

Richard

• Like 8

Thanks alot guys, having fun with this, just building as per pictures so it could be out here or there :hmmm:

Made a jig to make the boom or jib used angle styrene, then machined the pulley's out of brass

HxX2tZ.jpg

wFkRsE.jpg

Q8xxXy.jpg

1UUbxD.jpg

ntsbkm.jpg 

jJFBPK.jpg  

Then put it together to see how it would look, I think not to bad.

t4DJdn.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 8

On 12/22/2015 at 2:58 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great progress Richard. Real model engineering as against the sort of "modelling" I dabble in!

Thanks very much, Just love doing scratch builds

On 12/22/2015 at 9:28 AM, longshanks said:

Great modelling skills here

I will be watching & learning

:popcorn:

Kev

Hi Kev thanks for your comments.

Have drilled all the holes for the shafts in the boom,

wwq5nX.jpg

PvUKHY.jpg

i6xaxv.jpg

esyNJG.jpg

Then made the seat and started the controls.

jtpyol.jpg

cAkofC.jpg

eaGNos.jpg

VC6eTX.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone hope you have a great day.

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

Great project and superb work so far Richard will follow with interest,in 2008 the company I then worked for rented the huge building that had been

a part of the large Sunderland plant for the Summer for storage,as it opened in the late thirties I,m sure many of these vehicles were built there.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2015 at 1:07 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great progress Richard. I can't wait for the next instalment!

Thanks very much Alpha

On 12/26/2015 at 5:45 AM, Troffa said:

Looking very impressive, it's going to be a heck of a diorama!

Its coming along, it is big here are a couple of pic's with the Typhoon

On 12/26/2015 at 5:57 AM, stevej60 said:

Great project and superb work so far Richard will follow with interest,in 2008 the company I then worked for rented the huge building that had been

a part of the large Sunderland plant for the Summer for storage,as it opened in the late thirties I,m sure many of these vehicles were built there.

Thanks Steve, that building must have been huge, I have seen photo's of Matadors lined up in a building on the web and in the book, I wonder if it was the same one.

Found this other photo of a coles crane taking out a Spit engine in the field, it shows these were used alot.

Here I have worked on the middle pully, not sure if it is correct, as I have said I donot have any drawings.

WraoeV.jpg

Also started putting the side covers on, these will be removable.

33NVvx.jpg

t6Ous3.jpg

KJhOpp.jpg

XWFuxs.jpg

7aPpjy.jpg

I noticed I did not have any stiffener plates at the top where the channels join together.

33NVvx.jpg

Hope you enjoy, until next time, and I hope everyone has a Happy New Year

Regards

Richard

• Like 9

I am blown away with the engineering that you have created.

The AEC is my favourite wartime vehicle, really like the 6x6 refuelling tanker, to which end I am going to scratch build a 48th version. (I know you can buy one but thats to easy).

I shall be watching with great admiration at the skills employed and hoping to take up a few ideas from you .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

LOVE IT !!!!

That is something really special there !!!!!! Used to be one that sat in a local scrapyard until the day I went round to ask to look around and measure !!! GONE

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses !!!!

Nige

• Like 1

Just incredible. I'm blown away by what you have been able to achieve. It's looking extremely neat and not at all 'scratch built'. I'll follow this with great interest. Thank you for taking the time to share.
James

On 12/31/2015 at 5:59 AM, Mancunian airman said:

I am blown away with the engineering that you have created.

The AEC is my favourite wartime vehicle, really like the 6x6 refuelling tanker, to which end I am going to scratch build a 48th version. (I know you can buy one but thats to easy).

I shall be watching with great admiration at the skills employed and hoping to take up a few ideas from you .

Thanks very much Mancunian love to see your scratch build when you start, I am finding that scratch build is way more fun then just making a model out of the box.

On 1/16/2016 at 7:07 AM, Okdoky said:

LOVE IT !!!!

That is something really special there !!!!!! Used to be one that sat in a local scrapyard until the day I went round to ask to look around and measure !!! GONE

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses !!!!

Nige

Hi Nige, thanks for looking in, it is turning out quite special, just looking at pictures so artistic license is prevailing :winkgrin:

On 1/16/2016 at 10:22 AM, James B said:

Just incredible. I'm blown away by what you have been able to achieve. It's looking extremely neat and not at all 'scratch built'. I'll follow this with great interest. Thank you for taking the time to share.

James

Hi James very kind of you to say, it is looking like a Coles Crane, just wish I had some drawings, emailed some museums asking if they had some but they did not email back :shrug:

On 1/16/2016 at 10:52 AM, TGA said:

Really awesome. I always enjoy these innovative fulk scratch build projects!

Thanks TGA love this type of modeling

I was wondering how I was going to make the top part of the crane connect to the bottom part :hmmm: so I came up with this, glued some 1/8 plastic together and made the bottom fit into the channel frame, drilled and taped for a screw, making sure I put it in perfectly center

yBLQ94.jpg

RMGVWx.jpg

Then for the bottom added a piece of plastic drilled a hole on center

kwwbbS.jpg

Now it won't tip and it turns very smoothly.

4UEOYz.jpg

VedxTi.jpg

This is what will hang from the crane

hur2eq.jpg

Got the boom or Jib primed painted with Mr Suface 1200

ORan5X.jpg

dNOVFV.jpg

7Sa96z.jpg

uXEhqe.jpg

Getting closer to prime paint the main crane body, would all the pulley's be painted the same as the main steel??

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 7